All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Yesterday
  2. picked up an old mb_lc

Picked up an old midibox lc off ebay cheap, it powers on fine and seems ok. Its not a unit that I am familiar with but its something for me to tinker with in these winter evenings. Couple of questions, 1: the core's are old home made cores , I still have a couple of smash tv's core 8 pcbs here, can i replace the others with those, I am assuming i can 2: the MF was replaced with the MF_NG so I am going to buy one of those to replace the old MF pcb  I see this can be linked to the pc directly rather than the cores. Anything else i should know on this replacement? Plan is the put one of my old GM5 midi interface boards in there and have the MF_NG and the cores midi route into that then out via usb as i have done on previous projects. This one boots up with the message logic control emulation, is this the same protocol for use in Mackie HUI mode or is it a different set of settings i cant for the life of me remember if the logic protocol is the mackie protocol or if its a different settings hex file that needs to be uploaded for it to be a mackie HUI configuration. If anyone still has an old LC kicking around or has modified theirs to a better setup I would love to chat about it and pick some tips up while i tinker with this. The wiring needs re-newing and the casework is going to be media blasted and powdercoated in the meantime.   Thanks   SSP
  3. MIDIbox logo library for Eagle CAD

Hi, Just want to share the MIDIbox Logo I made for Eagle CAD. They are in 4 sizes, with and without text. Note: 'Pins' are on copper layer, then put it somewhere there's no traces. No cream. midibox_logo.lbr Best regards Bruno
  4. MIDIbox Logo for your eagle Board

5. MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

dear Midi Maniacs just little idea in FX Panel one page with ECHO on/off (toggle or momentary) as buttons and lets say ECHO time or repeats as potis for each channel   hope you like it bests   Kazik
  6. Last week
  7. Noob question on module connection

9 or 12v doesn't matter because behavior is done by jumpers. Are you sure they work with 5 or did you mean 12?
  8. Noob question on module connection

Swin sid is all 5v and you do not have to worry about letting the magic smoke out on a first time build as much as with a sid chip. Good working sid chips have gotten quite pricy the last few years.  I bet you already have a 5v regulated ac adapter too if you check you cell phone adapters. Be sure to use the 9v regulator for the 8580 and test all the voltages before putting you sid and pic in.  Everything is built in on the 8 bit core for the sid except the din in and out for buttons and leds. You will want an eprom for storing patches too but do not need one to get started.  I highly recommend you build the minimum control surface with the buttons, screen and encoder. You will be able to access all the functions from there and if you have to trouble shoot anything it will be easier to see that it is turning on and booting properly. You should be able to build it on vero board for $10.
  9. What is the function of the caps anyhow in the filter circuit? And why are they external? Couldn't fit their functionality in an IC?  Ah, hmm, too bad, I was hoping to somehow make the filter more resonant. Where are the caps in the signal flow? Is the filter the final stage before output?  About those xoxbox mods, they are not possible I think, since the SID is an integrated circuit. 
  10. No just some usual off-the shelf stuff. Assuming those are some fancy rare caps? 
  11. Might want to check this out for ideas on possible mods, you would need to adapt them: https://www.subatomicglue.com/x0xl0g/mod%20guide/mod%20guide.html   Post your results if you give it a try.
  12. 88 keys piano midification

Yes I did see that. And I did know that NG cannot make the full range of velocity. That's why I keep KB for now. Thanks for the answer !
  13. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

Thanks for the follow up! You're certainly not to blame for this, so I'll ask the fab what happened. Looks like the copper substrate was scratched from the beginning or some of the mask rubbed off before etching. Let us know privately with any subsequent order and we can spare you some $$ for the trouble.
  14. MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

Hello, I hope that I am posting in the right place (my first post in the forum!). I am having a blast with the midibox seq4 but I would like to submit my humble request for what would be such a fun feature: implement scala microtonal .tun support to relay by some wizardry to my synthesizers! Thank you!
  15. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

I finally found some time to work on my sequencer, and soldered the remaining superflux LEDs without trouble. I then went back to the one with the broken trace to figure out exactly where the break is. I pierced the solder mask with a DMM probe to check continuity. Once I narrowed it down I scraped away the solder mask to find the break. Somewhat surprisingly, it was broken in the middle of the trace, underneath where "SJ3" is printed. Here's a photo taken with my cheap USB microscope; you can see both what looks like a scratch at about a 45-degree angle to the trace, and more damage parallel to the trace. No, I definitely did not inflict this damage myself, and (as before) I am sure that it happened in the factory. The silkscreen was not damaged, and my DMM told me that the break was in this part of the trace before I scraped off the mask. It's academic now but it is sort of interesting.
  16. 88 keys piano midification

Hi, I didn't build one, but I try to help you. "Please note: the same keyboard driver is also available in MIDIbox NG. If you are searching for more capabilities (e.g. integrated controller with many pots, encoders, buttons, leds), consider to use the MBNG firmware instead of MBKB." So it depends on what you want to do or better how much controls you want. Take a look at the dinx and dout modules pages, they are the basic input output modules for the cores.
  17. Changing caps doesn’t radically change the character of the filter. And if you’re talking about adding additional circuitry where the cap is...better to just run the SID through an external filter IMHO.
  18. Noob question on module connection

You need 5v to power the cores You need 9 (and or 12v) for the sids The C64 psu is not recommend anymore because they are old and can burn your sid -or just die. If you buy a new one than this is not the case but they are big and expensive. I use this and can't say any thing bad atm about it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-2A-5V-2A-Mains-AC-Adaptor-Power-Supply-Unit-for-Iomega-MDHD500-TE-Hard-Drive/401392329621?hash=item5d74d8e395:g:BHYAAOSwuQxaYth~ It delievers 12 and 5v so you just need to convert the 12 to 9v for the 8580.
  19. Noob question on module connection

I get it now, thanks I do plan on building the control surface. I plan to use the plexiglass C64 case (empty) from https://www.plexilaser.de/ modified into a midibox sid. Final question though: for power, my research shows that the C64 psu used to be recommended but is now no longer recommended. So should I not buy a 'modern' c64 psu from ebay? Would something like this work https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/0413605 Power supplies are where i am the least skilled Thanks
  20. Noob question on module connection

It's really necessary to read all the stuff online, also it's annoying. So take some time and do research. -They run slower as ...? (Never heard of it, they sound cleaner than 6581 and have a better "working" filter. Also they are a bit younger and so will live a bit longer than 6581s. -You have 2 Cores and 4 SIDs. The Master Core is your Mainboard. It delievers Midi and connections to LCD and other modules. If you have built and connected this stuff you have a SID Synthesizer which can be controlled via midi (sysex/cc)  https://ctrlr.org/midibox-sid-v2/ thats all. As far as I know changing the SID and saving patches doesn't work without a Control surface. If you want to edit your SIDs without midi, you need to build a so called minimal CS with LCD and you need to built at minimum 2 DINX, (a half dinx 4 module which is sold out at mo addict). If you want some LEDs, you need the doutx module. -for reverb and delay you should built or buy some guitar fx pedals or whatever, it's nothing midibox related.
  21. 88 keys piano midification

In the general idea of Midibox_KB : should we use it only as an interface from the keyboard to midi, and then make a separate Midibox_NG project to take care of all the other things (like buton and led ) ? If so, what should be the connection between the two devices ?
  22. Noob question on module connection

Hey thanks for replying I will order two new sid modules and go with 4 sids like you suggested. I agree that using two sids and two 'emulated' sids sounds cool and im going with 8580 sids because I had a C64Cwith 8580s as a child. I have heard that they run slower though? Im still a little confused about modules. Do I have all I need to use the sids as a synth once ive ordered and assembled all the pcbs? (obviously in a shoebox, panels etc comes later). Im aware there are midi in/out modules, and the demos online appear to have reverb/delay so I wondered if its possible to add an extra module for that. My intention is to use the synth with a DAW supplying a timer over midi (im a renoise guy) rather than a hardware sequencer. For the genesis module im still a little bit confused about the state that it is at at the moment. Is it a useless pcb currently or is it awaiting a firmware update? I tried looking online but all the information I found was for quad genesis builds
  23. 88 keys piano midification

Long story short :   father in law did never talk again about the project. So I went to make a midification of my old Yamaha gear (Yamaha DSR-2000) but then the keyboard fall and is broken. Now, we are a year later and i come back to midi keyboard. A 4 octaves one. And it's working ! And right now, i see some issue... like... The screen... it take me so much time to have it working and i did see that it's useless ! haha. And I can have 4 analog input, that's great, but not more than 4. And worst, i will never have "octave up/down" button because I can't have button. So i should go to MidiBox_NG instead of MidiBox_KB, even for a simple nude keyboard. In fact, the only -really- missing things are the octave up/down, and being able to change the USB-Midi settings. Like I would like to have only two USB ports, one dedicated for the keyboard (with midi IN and OUT 1) and the other dedicated for Midi In and Out 2. Well. Just to say : still alive !
  24. IMG-20191106-180021-4-.jpg

From the album Wapata

25. Control LEDs without HC595

Yep BLM! Multiplexing will limit the number of 595/165.  
  26. Earlier
  27. [Sold out] GM 5x5x5

Offer GM 5x5x5 build with Top and Botton Plexiglass shield. Price 30 .- EURO incl. Dispatch to Germany
  28. [S] Midibox Seq V4 Lite

Offer a Midibox Seq V4 lite, based on LPC17 core. Price 120 .- EURO incl. Dispatch to Germany
  29. Load more activity