All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Today
  2. Hello All! I am new to building midi controllers and coding in general and am unsure where to start. I have a design for an Ableton Live controller that has multiple faders, 30 endless encoders, macros, LCD display, and daw master controls. I am not looking to route midi into the device (such as from a keyboard) but I am looking to control multiple plugins with the controller. I have been looking for components, but am unsure of where to purchase from. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  3. Yesterday
  4. MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

Source code is here: https://github.com/midibox/mios32/tree/master/apps/sequencers/midibox_seq_v4 Beat Light is controlled in src/seq_ui.c: https://github.com/midibox/mios32/blob/master/apps/sequencers/midibox_seq_v4/core/seq_ui.c (search for BEAT) The problem is understood - it appears on frontpanels with single colour LEDs (MEASURE not assigned).  However, a quick fix is easy: just replace SEQ_LED_PinSet(seq_hwcfg_led.beat, (seq_hwcfg_led.measure && measure_led_on) ? 0 : beat_led_on); by if( seq_hwcfg_led.measure != 0xffff ) SEQ_LED_PinSet(seq_hwcfg_led.beat, (seq_hwcfg_led.measure && measure_led_on) ? 0 : beat_led_on); else SEQ_LED_PinSet(seq_hwcfg_led.beat, beat_led_on); Untested code Please let me know if it works, so that I will bring it into the repo   Concerning mirrored Roll parameter: that's normal if the parameter layer is only 16 steps. It's due to a memory limitation - drum tracks can only store 1024 parameters, and they are partitioned over the number of drum tracks and parameter layers Best Regards, Thorsten.
  5. Elrom Teaser :)

love it, also the olre16...
  6. Hi Henry, welcome! We developed the SEQ v4+ with those concerns in mind. It is different to the Wilba project. https://www.midiphy.com/en/shop-details/137/47/midibox-seq-v4-lh-full-essential-kit- On that page you have the full kit available, including the case and hard-to-source parts. There are left- and right-handed cases defined by the position of the JA subassembly. The combined BOM can be copied directly to Mouser's import tool, so it's super easy to get parts. Yes, sometimes Mouser goes out of stock, but many of the parts can be substituted by others (e.g. standard resistors, caps, ICs). Peter also has produced full video tutorials:       Best, Andy
  7. MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

In the roll layer of a 32step drum track, if I change the roll parameter for step 1 I get roll on step 17 too. I don't know if this is normal, but the same happens on the other step pair too (2-18, 3-19 etc.)  I want to ask if I can find the source code for midibox_seq_v4_095 latest release because I want to built it manualy with some modifications in the code-config file. Also I want to compare the two sources to source the beat light problem.  
  8. Like it says... i'm aware of SmashTV in the US for sourcing Midibox kit packages but i'm based in UK so I really need a European source for parts (don't want weeks of waiting for deliveries and import taxes) and i can't even find a series of BOMs. Can anyone inside (or out) share any advice or experience? I've build a few DIY projects but mostly from supplied kits - it seems to be a big jump to PROPER DIY and it can be daunting to get the rights stuff under the soldering iron! Thanks!Mobdro https://pnrstatus.vip/ https://sarkariresult.onl/
  9. Scratch wheel

I bought a translation encoder here, because the price is relatively cheap. 
  10. Last week
  11. Hello We can't call a resistor a decoupling device but you use " so it's ok. In this case I think it's a small voltage drop to ensure Vref stay below VDD, to avoid error at full scale, as I nether won't call 10ohm resistor a current limiting for Vref input with half an amp at 5V... If you use separate regulation you don't need this resistor. Best Zam
  12. BLM 16x16+X build guide

Nice!    
  13. AINSER + CLCD display = more analog jitter

I'm quite sure you can leave it away if using an external PSU. I've never used it in conjunction with MCP1541.  I think the resistor should "decouple" the VRef from Vdd somehow. But I don't know anything about the technical background. 
  14. One more question :) What is the 10 ohm resistor (R1) on AINSER8/64 for? Is this some kind of protection? Can i leave it out if i use a voltage reference? On the AINSER64 this is only connected to Vdd, not to the voltage regulator.
  15. BLM 16x16+X build guide

EDIT: SOLVED > i replace Q11 > now all ok following failure: (all 2x16x16 leds are software side activated)
  16. Hi Tago I won't call someone who ask questions, trying to learn, as experimenting things an idiot ! Best Zam
  17. Hi Zam, thanks for confirming the Vref wiring, i somehow couldn't find an example. That's why i looked at the AINSER64 schema. You're of course right about the AINSER64 connections. Sorry, i'm an idiot!  
  18. Hello Vref is your ref analog voltage, you need to provide the pot with the same voltage. Vref is the 100% value for analog inputs whatever voltage you feed.   Please check again the AINSER64, Vref connect to ADC as J6 to 13 for pots (and 4051 multiplexed analog switches)   Best Zam
  19. Just to be sure. Vref is also used on the analog inputs J6 (AINSER8) instead of Vd (5V), right? If i connect pots to J6 they will provide max 4.096V (Vref) to the analog ins. Edit: i wonder why the external psu on AINSER64 is only connected to Vref of the ADC, but not to J6-13.
  20. The workflow can be much easier: just clone the worktree, create a branch, commit into this branch how often you want, push to GitHub whenever you want to ensure that your work doesn't get lost (and want that other people can access your changes). There are various tools to display code changes between branches, between your commit, etc. also locally without the need for a webserver. E.g. I'm using "gitk", but there might be many others. But uploading to GitHub is preferred - not only for backup reasons, but also to allow later merging into master branch via pull request + review from my side. Best Regards, Thorsten.
  21. Multiple projects side by side

@tago it depends on your preferred workflow, personally i would not recommend to move anything at all outside of git, as you will lose the benefits of having an integrated code version control system, i.e. you could look at any time what you have modified locally and you can perform local commits that are not pushed back to the server while you work on your personal projects. I'd see two options: a) you could just work within your fully cloned repository tree b) i have not done it, but it might be possible to clone the main tree (library) somewhere, point your environment variables to it, so the build process works and clone the respective app subdirectories somewhere else (if this works, i think i read about "sparse checkouts" somewhere). This would allow you to work more like you describe on an individual app/project level within a separate directory structure but with full git benefits, if you prefer that. If this does not work, you could just create logical filesystem links, if you are working in a unix environment? With both variants you can perform local commits, which is useful for development. If you work from multiple local machines like a laptop and a desktop you could also setup a server system like "gitea" and enable pushing to a central server by adding a new origin - that works nicely and you would then have a local tool like "github" at home, including browser based diffs and all the bells and whistles :). Many greets and have fun! Peter
  22. No idea,  - would love to get one from the forum. Should be fair is all i ask. Make an offer given that the chips alone are a valuable item on their own which are going up in price over years. 
  23. Multiple projects side by side

I've question regarding Git. Say i want to edit the NG app which is (like all apps) part of the main mios32 repository. How would i keep track of changes to NG if i copied it out of the main repository into its own folder? There would be no git anymore.
  24. Multiple projects side by side

Thanks Peter! Yes, it is helpful. I understand it that way, that you recommend using a single mios32 installation as global lib. No need to put duplicates in each project folder, because the interface doesn't change often and mostly there are new functions added. Hard to decide, i somehow lean towards a self contained per project solution.
  25. Multiple projects side by side

@tago trying to free up time for TK a bit here, if what i am saying is wrong, he will surely correct me: With libraries, the intention is to have more or less "stable" interfaces, that multiple apps can rely on. Defining the interface at first is why it is so difficult to create them :). You would need to define a  "minimal" (non over-engineered) interface at first and try to only extend it over time. If you need to change a core api function call signature, all dependencies have to be updated, that's why this should be avoided and i think this is excatly what Thorsten does. So, from an "app implementors viewpoint", you'd only need to check out everything once, and work on the "app level", use the MIOS library as far as possible. If the library does not provide for what is needed, you can extend it internally within your app. If that extension results in a function that you think will be useful for other users, you could extend the library itself and create a pull request for Thorsten to evaluate your addition to his code. The idea is always to avoid overengineering, an API that is too vast is often distracting, complex to understand and will make development harder. Hopefully this was correct and helpful! Best regards, Peter
  26. pre-programmed PIC 18F4685 for sale

For the FM a PIC18F452 is the standard option - I can provide that as well, still have some of those around I think. To the US shipping will be 7€ including tracking. It's cheaper (4,70€) if you don't want tracking, but I'm not sure I would recommend that...
  27. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

That makes sense with _L vs _R chaining order...I'm going to give your suggestions a shot, the piano roll on midi channel 3 with seq_l.ngc loaded and the chaining test.  will report back once I have something.   And as always, thank you for the thorough reply!  
  28. Multiple projects side by side

Thanks Thorsten! I'd like to further understand the structure and workflow of the repository. My simplified view: it looks like /apps are the apps and everything else is the 'mios lib' (mios32/modules..). I'd like to know how do you handle changes to the 'mios lib' for all the apps? What if there are some breaking changes? Do you edit/refactor all apps every time this happens or is there some kind of a fixed API that never changes (or very seldom)? How often gets the mios stuff updated? I assume the apps are updated more frequently. I'm trying to find an ideal setup for multiple midibox projects. To my modest knowledge it's the best to have each project's includes/dependencies separated from each other to avoid problems compiling them after some time later. In that scenario i'd pull 'mios lib' version updates on per project basis, not for all projects. But does it make sense or should i rather have a global 'mios lib'?   Edit: i only intend to work on app level.
  29. Load more activity