All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Today
  2. My MIO32 application is failing when the host computer sends too much USB sysex to my F4 core at application startup.  I have tried to increase MIOS32_USB_MIDI_RX_BUFFER_SIZE to 0x400 and MIOS32_USB_MIDI_DATA_IN_SIZE to 128 (256 and the USB of the core basically stops working) This has not changed the behaviour... I'm not sure what I'm doing but I would like to increase the USB midi data rx buffer. Thanks for any help. 
  3. Yesterday
  4. [FS] 5x 8580 R5 + 1x 6581 SID chips

PM sent.
  5. Last week
  6. Thanks, Altitude and Bruno! Bruno: used an own version of the screenshot tool, exporting to PNM files, but thanks for sending the code anyways :) Now, on to some more video editing :) Have a good evening! Peter
  7. Hi Peter, Great doc! It seems the oled bitmap exporter was useful, coool :) Best Bruno
  8. Large Shift register chains with MIOS32

The usual way is to have the shift registers close to where their io is needed. This minimises interconnects and tracks. The high speed serial wires can be kept reliable and quiet with source impedance matching resistor on the clock line IIRC.
  9. Large Shift register chains with MIOS32

I guess that routing is way more comfortable and even better if I place all SRs on one PCB next to each other and use pinheader to connect the buttons & LEDs to it directly. For some I reason I never did it like this...  I never had performance problems anyway... so I'm just interested how it is done in the professional world...
  10. Large Shift register chains with MIOS32

Is there a specific problem you are trying to solve?  My gut feeling is that we should minimise the length of high-speed digital signals (lower impedance/inductance causing signal-integrity loss; less EMI) and buffer them to take load off the MCU, also minimising the number of interconnections. Things that interface to the shift registers (LEDs, switches) are much slower and could run over longer traces or cables. In practice I'm not sure if it really matters. Try for logical layouts and see how the performance is.
  11. Large Shift register chains with MIOS32

I know this is an old thread. But my question fits into this topic I think. What is the "professional" way to place the shift registers? Is it better to place them near the MCU to keep SPI-traces as short as possible or is it better to place them near the objects, that are connected to it (resp. buttons or LEDs)?  I already designed tons of PCBs and I used to put the SRs near the objects which are connected to the SRs. But meanwhile I don't see really much sense in it. It means a lot routing and starting from scratch with any new PCB.  How do you do it?
  12. Update! :) Well, it has certainly taken a while, but the LoopA release should really be happening soon, now! The assembly video tutorial has been completely filmed (350 GB of 4k footage), and now "just" needs video editing and voiceover. The PCBs have been built a third time and the BOMs are now verified. Also, the launch software version 2.05 has been tested, tested again and then completed :). Many thanks to Andy for the huge amount of time he invested in this, from creating the PCBs to endless dicussions to finally proofreading the manual! And here it is - we've finished the LoopA user manual, describing all features and screens in 20+ pages, so you can have a glance what the unit will do - we hope you will like it: https://www.midiphy.com/files/468/midiphy_LoopA_manual_v205.pdf Of course, there are lots of future features/enhancements on the wishlist, but the current features will be "it" for the launch and we hope you also consider them to be nice! :) An (incomplete) list of new things since the last update: * named user instruments mapping to hardware MIDI ports/channels (e.g. you can now simply use "ANDROMED" instead of memorizing MIDI OUT1/CHN1) * a detailed setup page, allowing to configure global parameters * a new and optimized page switching UI, using a onehanded two-finger-gesture facilitating "haptic finger memory" for quick page switching * fully graphical menu/page icons * a dedicated shift button, allowing for direct mutes/unmutes from every menu screen (an often needed feature) * two powerful live performance modes (beatloop/transpose), switchable and directly mapped to a separate performance encoder * MIDI metronome support * live (re)quantized swing * note randomization/probabilities (visualized als "animated quantum note clouds" if the clip notes playback probability is less than 100% :)) * note freezing option after transformations (allows e.g. to "move" notes around a clip first, freeze and then "scale" their playback speed) * integrated context-sensitive help system explaining every feature of every screen ... and a few others :) Hope you enjoy! Please stay tuned, more coming soon! Best regards, Peter
  13. Noob question on module connection

I shall be building the control surface in a cardboard box lid first and having one printed using the front panel designer file on acyrlic instead of metal Do you know if the sids need to be cooled? As i understand it the oldest sids ran hottest. 8580 and swin sid should be fine right? Also read that fan cooling is discouraged because of noise
  14. picked up an old mb_lc

Picked up an old midibox lc off ebay cheap, it powers on fine and seems ok. Its not a unit that I am familiar with but its something for me to tinker with in these winter evenings. Couple of questions, 1: the core's are old home made cores , I still have a couple of smash tv's core 8 pcbs here, can i replace the others with those, I am assuming i can 2: the MF was replaced with the MF_NG so I am going to buy one of those to replace the old MF pcb  I see this can be linked to the pc directly rather than the cores. Anything else i should know on this replacement? Plan is the put one of my old GM5 midi interface boards in there and have the MF_NG and the cores midi route into that then out via usb as i have done on previous projects. This one boots up with the message logic control emulation, is this the same protocol for use in Mackie HUI mode or is it a different set of settings i cant for the life of me remember if the logic protocol is the mackie protocol or if its a different settings hex file that needs to be uploaded for it to be a mackie HUI configuration. If anyone still has an old LC kicking around or has modified theirs to a better setup I would love to chat about it and pick some tips up while i tinker with this. The wiring needs re-newing and the casework is going to be media blasted and powdercoated in the meantime.   Thanks   SSP
  15. MIDIbox logo library for Eagle CAD

Hi, Just want to share the MIDIbox Logo I made for Eagle CAD. They are in 4 sizes, with and without text. Note: 'Pins' are on copper layer, then put it somewhere there's no traces. No cream. midibox_logo.lbr Best regards Bruno
  16. MIDIbox Logo for your eagle Board

17. MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

dear Midi Maniacs just little idea in FX Panel one page with ECHO on/off (toggle or momentary) as buttons and lets say ECHO time or repeats as potis for each channel   hope you like it bests   Kazik
  18. Noob question on module connection

9 or 12v doesn't matter because behavior is done by jumpers. Are you sure they work with 5 or did you mean 12?
  19. Noob question on module connection

Swin sid is all 5v and you do not have to worry about letting the magic smoke out on a first time build as much as with a sid chip. Good working sid chips have gotten quite pricy the last few years.  I bet you already have a 5v regulated ac adapter too if you check you cell phone adapters. Be sure to use the 9v regulator for the 8580 and test all the voltages before putting you sid and pic in.  Everything is built in on the 8 bit core for the sid except the din in and out for buttons and leds. You will want an eprom for storing patches too but do not need one to get started.  I highly recommend you build the minimum control surface with the buttons, screen and encoder. You will be able to access all the functions from there and if you have to trouble shoot anything it will be easier to see that it is turning on and booting properly. You should be able to build it on vero board for $10.
  20. What is the function of the caps anyhow in the filter circuit? And why are they external? Couldn't fit their functionality in an IC?  Ah, hmm, too bad, I was hoping to somehow make the filter more resonant. Where are the caps in the signal flow? Is the filter the final stage before output?  About those xoxbox mods, they are not possible I think, since the SID is an integrated circuit. 
  21. No just some usual off-the shelf stuff. Assuming those are some fancy rare caps? 
  22. Might want to check this out for ideas on possible mods, you would need to adapt them: https://www.subatomicglue.com/x0xl0g/mod%20guide/mod%20guide.html   Post your results if you give it a try.
  23. 88 keys piano midification

Yes I did see that. And I did know that NG cannot make the full range of velocity. That's why I keep KB for now. Thanks for the answer !
  24. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

Thanks for the follow up! You're certainly not to blame for this, so I'll ask the fab what happened. Looks like the copper substrate was scratched from the beginning or some of the mask rubbed off before etching. Let us know privately with any subsequent order and we can spare you some $$ for the trouble.
  25. MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

Hello, I hope that I am posting in the right place (my first post in the forum!). I am having a blast with the midibox seq4 but I would like to submit my humble request for what would be such a fun feature: implement scala microtonal .tun support to relay by some wizardry to my synthesizers! Thank you!
  26. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

I finally found some time to work on my sequencer, and soldered the remaining superflux LEDs without trouble. I then went back to the one with the broken trace to figure out exactly where the break is. I pierced the solder mask with a DMM probe to check continuity. Once I narrowed it down I scraped away the solder mask to find the break. Somewhat surprisingly, it was broken in the middle of the trace, underneath where "SJ3" is printed. Here's a photo taken with my cheap USB microscope; you can see both what looks like a scratch at about a 45-degree angle to the trace, and more damage parallel to the trace. No, I definitely did not inflict this damage myself, and (as before) I am sure that it happened in the factory. The silkscreen was not damaged, and my DMM told me that the break was in this part of the trace before I scraped off the mask. It's academic now but it is sort of interesting.
  27. 88 keys piano midification

Hi, I didn't build one, but I try to help you. "Please note: the same keyboard driver is also available in MIDIbox NG. If you are searching for more capabilities (e.g. integrated controller with many pots, encoders, buttons, leds), consider to use the MBNG firmware instead of MBKB." So it depends on what you want to do or better how much controls you want. Take a look at the dinx and dout modules pages, they are the basic input output modules for the cores.
  28. Load more activity