The protodeck : big controller for control/feedback of Ableton Live via max for live

protofuse

THE NEED I HAD

The problem is easy to understand: I wanted to drop my PC keyboard + mouse during live performance in order to be focused on music/sound/live. The only way to solve my problem was to use an hardware to control Ableton Live, but not only that, I need a feedback from it too. But I need a lot of pots/knobs, a lot of multicolor lights, a lot of buttons...

I need a big hardware without multifunctional knobs, sub-menu you have to choose to change the function of this button etc etc : I need to have ALL under my eyes and I need that EVERYTIME. I looked for the perfect controller, but I didn't find it. only monochrome stuff or 2/3 colors leds, only few pots with a billion of sub-sub-menu to change encoders function etc. So, I guess ... I have to think, read, code, test, build, learn to solder better... to create my OWN hardware.

I have to thanks a lot of people which helped me A LOT ; without you, this story wouldn't have been possible!

- Denis St Amand:: my quebec friend! he helps me a lot about the structure, screws etc, the PCBs too. he would have helped me with midibox if I didn't do things before to ask him...

- Mike/Noofny :: the guy who made the deltadeck. he inspired me and gave me the power to build the protodeck

- Tim/smashTV :: the guy who makes the very best/reliablest/cheapest midibox modules in the world!

- Lucem :: the guy who helped me about driving a common anode RGB leds matrix

- nILS :: one of the guy connected everytime on old-school IRC midibox channel. thanks you didn't laugh at me (too much) while I asked question...

and obviously, Thorsten Klose, the great midibox creator and guru!

THE VIDEO

the first demo is here

THE PROTODECK controller features

- 87 potentiometers

- 90 buttons

- 81 rgb leds

- 2x20 LCD

- 2 PIC 18F4620 (20MHz RISC processors)

- fully custom rgb led drivers

- fully custom firmware

- 2 MIDI IN/OUT interface

- power supply unit included in the box

THE REAL OPENSOURCE

As a lot, I really believe in open-source

It provides power to break all walls.

So I decided to deliver ALL about the protodeck here

I can answer questions, but you have to read carefully before asking.

I cannot guarantee answering quickly

I'll begin VERY soon some workshops around controller design and technology for artistic expression

If you're interested: protofuse@gmail.com

CONTACT

My website: protofuse.net

and julienbayle.net too

my email: protofuse@gmail.com

I'm more available on chat on msn and gtalk at julien.bayle@gmail.com

Edited by nILS
removed 129 font tags

The link is fine, and it is all accessible now. Unfortunately (?), the Internet tends to be an evolving place, people come and go, their interests change, ... in short, things just happen. Then, it's good to have documentation in the one place meant for it. We'd really like to encourage you to make use of that :flowers: !

Offsite doco disappears. Period. That's why it's a "requirement" to have doco for user projects here on site - attached to forum posts or on the WIKI. See Please Read Before Posting New Topics: What is a "User Project"?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...