MB-6582 front panel - I'm about to start. Feedback ... ?

nebula

To mark where the standoffs should go on the back of the panel, I first made a tiny mark with graphite pencil.  Then, using a key, scratched a little "X" where each graphite dot was, and wiped down the entire back of the panel with a little alcohol.  No sanding, no dremel.

I applied JB-weld to each "X" and then clamped the PCB and the panel together for over 24 hours.  I pulled them apart, and ...

Nothing came off.  In fact it seems extremely strong, despite the fact that there are definitely a few standoffs that I should have applied more adhesive to.  Only one standoff didn't stick, and that is because ... somehow I missed it.  I didn't put any JB-Weld there.  I'm not going to fret though ... I have since completely populated the control surface PCB (except LEDs).  Next time the PCB and the panel meet, I will glue down the last standoff.

My standoffs are aluminum, and my corner screws (bolts) are stainless steel. 

To mark where the standoffs should go on the back of the panel, I first made a tiny mark with graphite pencil.  Then, using a key, scratched a little "X" where each graphite dot was, and wiped down the entire back of the panel with a little alcohol.  No sanding, no dremel.

The new FPE panels I got have a different surface on the back, it's not the same matte black finish, more of a grey anodised look, with feint oil-slick effect. Graphite wasn't marking well so I used a Sharpie.

I applied JB-weld to each "X" and then clamped the PCB and the panel together for over 24 hours.  I pulled them apart, and ...

Only one standoff didn't stick, and that is because ... somehow I missed it.

hehehe one time I actually missed two! Now I count and recount the marks before I add JB-Weld, and then count the JB-Weld blobs.

One thing I wasn't too explicit about before, was the need to clamp the PCB/panel where there are gaps between the panel and the spacers, i.e. where the warp in the PCB is pulling the spacer away from the panel. Clamping together with fingers at various places will show where the gaps are, and that's where you put the clamps.

For everyone's amusement, I've glued a screw to the rear panel for a strength test, gluing it between two of the holes for stereo sockets, so it won't be seen after construction. Others might be interested in doing the same thing, so you can demonstrate to yourself how well JB-Weld is sticking to your panels. I should have glued a spacer as well but I forgot.

BTW all this discussion will be refactored into the construction guide.