40x2 Optrex Green on Black LCD Order finished

latigid on

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

It's been like Christmas around here.  I got OPL chips from Wilba last week, I got boards and parts from SmashTV yesterday, and today I received the Paia power supply kit I'm using for the MB-FM.  Also, UPS should deliver my Mouser order today (it's nice living 4 hours away from the Mouser facility - fast delivery!).  So I should have a nice Optrex display in hand this evening.

I built the core for the MB-FM last night.  I'll test it tonight and build/test the power supply, and hopefully get a chance to test the LCD out tomorrow and report back.

Im in england, and was thinking of getting one of these  -

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Optoelectronics/LCDs-And-Accessories/Alphanumeric-LCD-display-modules/29437/kw/lcd

(but i must admit, i havent checked out the spec sheet properly yet)

However -

What i really want is a red on black display

I know the proposed buy isnt for them, but i just wanted to register my interest, should there be any developments :  )

fussylizard       2 (?)
strophlex         3
nsunier         ~10
rosch             3
ssp               2 (maybe 4)
gtxdude           2
matoz              4
----------------------
                ~26

i' m in for 4 pcs.

If there is a bulk for the same display in 20*2 and 16*2 , i' m interested.

thx

Quick update - I got my core and power supply boards tested and running, plus got the SMD chips and bridges soldered on my OPL board.  I started to wire up and solder the cable for the display last night at midnight but thankfully I realized (a) I was getting tired and (b) I felt like I was rushing.  Veteran MIDIboxers will know both are recipes for mistakes, so I opted to defer until this weekend when I'll have time to do it right.  Stay tuned.

@julianf - CrystalFontz makes some nice red-on-black displays.  They are a bit pricey but look great, though I'm not sure what format you are looking for.  I used a yellow-on-black one on my MB-6582 and love it.

well i haven't done it yet. i think all one has to do is find out about the pins of the LCD, make a ribbon cable and attach it to the core. i have to do the same with the LCDs i use now, too.

or have i missed something? ???

Never mind. I missunderstood your post. I thought you meant it is easy to change the LCD backlight color. Changing the LCD is easy, yes :)

@julianf - CrystalFontz makes some nice red-on-black displays.  They are a bit pricey but look great, though I'm not sure what format you are looking for.  I used a yellow-on-black one on my MB-6582 and love it.

Im in the UK.  I filled in the website form asking about uk distributors, and no reply.

The only displays ive found are boring ones...

If anyone has an easy source for me here in england, id be keen to know, as, i suspect, buying in 1-off quantities from the states is going to be prohibitivly expensive.

...but i havent realy looked in detail yet.

ps. im after one for the mb6582 device

OK, I have good news and bad news about the green-on-black Optrex display.  The bad news is it looks like I fried it.  The good news is that I got it running and took pictures of it before I toasted it.

It was a real bummer.  I was testing my MB-FM build and having some issues along the way (turns out I messed up a few pins on my PIC or it was bad to start with).  At one point I plugged in the 2x8 connector between the LCD and the core incorrectly (only one column was connected) and the display stopped working after that (or I did something else to it during that same timeframe).  The backlight comes on but no characters...sigh.  Stupidly I did the same thing a little while later with a 20x2 CrystalFontz display, but it survived.  So maybe the Optrex displays are a bit sensitive?

Anyway, on to the display.  I took a few pics for reference.  It looks pretty good, but my only gripe is that I couldn't quite get the character backgrounds to disappear completely.  The backgrounds are slightly brighter than on the yellow-on-black 20x4 CrystalFontz display I used on my MB-6582.  It's not a big issue, but I thought I'd mention it.  Look at the pics and see if it bothers you or not.  I'm not sure if the background can be adjusted by changing the resistor values on the core board.  May give that a try.

IMG_4553.JPG

IMG_4554.JPG

IMG_4553.JPG

IMG_4554.JPG

fussylizard       2 (?)
strophlex         3
nsunier         ~10
rosch             3
ssp               2 (maybe 4)
gtxdude           2
matoz              4
lucem               6
----------------------
                ~32

Yay!

fussylizard       2 (?)
strophlex         3
nsunier         ~10
rosch             3
ssp               2 (maybe 4)
gtxdude           2
matoz             4
lucem             6
enth              3
----------------------
                ~35

I wanna get in on this too :) i plan to build a MBFM, but is the 'counting' only to get an idea of how many could be ordered simultaneously? I can't seem to get from this thread exactly which 2*40 the buld is concerning?

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=10847.0;attach=5611;image

we're trying to get enough interest for this one. optrex green on black.

we're trying to get enough interest for this one. optrex green on black.

Well :) in that case:

fussylizard       2 (?)
strophlex         3
nsunier         ~10
rosch             3
gtxdude           2
matoz             4
lucem             6
enth              3
flemming          1
----------------------
                ~36

I'm in.

fussylizard       2 (?)
strophlex         3
nsunier         ~10
rosch             3
ssp               2 (maybe 4)
gtxdude           2
matoz             4
lucem             6
enth              3
flemming          1
kyo               2
----------------------
                ~38

Great, we're getting there!  I'm thinking once we get closer to interest for 80 I'll just order them and resell them at cost + shipping.  I'll offer them to folks who signed up on the list first, then offer them to others until they are all sold.  That way there are fewer problems with collecting shipping info and $ and then having a big delay while the order is fulfilled and people changing their minds, having address changes, etc.  It also gives you that ever-so-important instant gratification. :-)

The bulk order is a GO for green-on-black 40x2 LCD displays.

I just ordered 1 carton, and I'll set up a real bulk order page once I get info on when the shipment should arrive to me.  I'll run it Wilba-style where you'll need to email me your order info (once I get the page set up, not before please!).  Folks who have already added themselves to the informal list on this thread will get first priority (so if you've been lurking, add your name to the list now!)  It's one carton, 80 pieces, and about half of it is spoken for based on the informal list.  First come, first served!

fussylizard       2
strophlex         3
nsunier         ~10
rosch             3
gtxdude           2
matoz             4
lucem             6
enth              3
flemming          1
kyo               2
wilba             6 (possible per discussion w/ fussylizard)
----------------------
                ~44

Stay tuned!

Thanks,

C

fussylizard       2
strophlex         3
nsunier         ~10
rosch             3
ssp               2 (maybe 4)
gtxdude           2
matoz             4
lucem             6
enth              3
flemming          1
kyo               2
wilba             6 (possible per discussion w/ fussylizard)
dstamand       1
olga42           5
latigid on       2
----------------------
                ~52

Thanks for organising the Order! I'll also update the thread title so we can get those lurkers interested ;)

fussylizard       2
strophlex         3
nsunier         ~10
rosch             4
gtxdude           2
matoz             4
lucem             6
enth              3
flemming          1
kyo               2
wilba             6 (possible per discussion w/ fussylizard)
dstamand          1
olga42            5
latigid on        2
----------------------
                ~53