Help with buttons? (definitely not)

cyutaeha

So showing all this I'm guessing I just need to buy new 74HC165s? Does anyone know if they are really so fragile that they could've fried from static shock or something without me realizing?

ok sounds like the srio test passed to me.  only thing left is to check continuity along the SI path, and also check that it is not shorted to Vss or Vdd.  if that's ok, then you do probably have some bad 165s, these are cmos and so are static sensitive.  were they shipped in static protective bags?  did you handle them while/after walking on carpet or like such as?  soldering while they are stuffed without a esd safe iron?  i use a grounded wrist strap while handling cmos, def worth the $5 investment...

OK so when I test the button pressed at the DIN pin (It's hooked to D7 on J3, which should give me an ensemble root menu) the voltage drops from 5V(unpressed) to 0V(pressed). Also, I tested the corresponding 165 pin which gave me the exact same results:  5V(unpressed) to 0V(pressed).

However when I test the SI line on the DIN board it shows me this:  5V(unpressed) 0.45V(pressed)

And it follows through to the core's SI line the same way:  5V(unpressed) 0.45V(pressed)

Is that right? Or am I supposed to be seeing 0V through the SI line too?

I need to pull out an old post:

6)Yes, I actually shocked myself in the process.

Uhm, what??? What point was the other end of that wire connected to? In a working Midibox ther shouldn't be any voltages you could possibly feel as a shock? So I'd still guess you've fried something.

OK so when I test the button pressed at the DIN pin (It's hooked to D7 which should give me an ensemble root menu) the voltage drops from 5V(unpressed) to 0V(pressed). Also, I tested the corresponding 165 pin which gave me the exact same results:  5V(unpressed) to 0V(pressed).

ok so far.

However when I test the SI line on the DIN board it shows me this:  5V(unpressed) 0.45V(pressed)

And it follows through to the core's SI line the same way:  5V(unpressed) 0.45V(pressed)

question: what are you using for these measurements? A multimeter or an oscilloscope? The SI line (like the RC and SC lines) is a high frequency data line where you can only get very limited information from measuring with a multimeter. 5V unpressed sounds reasonable, but what you're actually measuring with a multimeter is an average value, so if pressing a single button changes the state so much, there's either a situation where most of the 128 (possible MIOS inputs that are scanned) are affected by a single button, or you're trying to short SI to ground with that button in this test?

S

I was using a multimeter for test on the SI. Excluding D7 - The rest of the pins on J3 brought 5.08 down to 5.07. And these don't trigger anything either. If that means anything.

Yes, I actually shocked myself in the process

Well if I did fry something, that situation happened with only one DINX4 and I have three.

So the shock most likely was some static but this happened only on one DIN, not all three.

Once again, thank you seppoman, bugfight, Echopraxia, stryd_one, SLP, nILS, and cimo for helping me out here.

This is extremely frustrating.

I've followed everything word for word, I have two SIDs and a core right now that are working perfectly, no problems whatsoever. But, this damn DIN problem is completely bogus.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I got it working now.

Bought a new DIN and CORE from Smash and set up everything with those. At first, even with the new boards, it was giving me the same problems. I was about to jump out of my 3rd story window, but tried redownloading the SID V2 files from the downloads page, thinking it HAD to be some quirky software problem, and reinstalled the 8580.hex file from the fresh new downloaded folder and it started working.

I'm so confused.  ???

Oh well, at least it's working now.

Thanks everyone for helping out. Big ups to Smash for being so extremely supportive.

I think I'll go lie down now...