Any Cubase SX users around?

Guest Xcen

Guest Xcen

What is the best (read less expensive) way to learn Cubase SX?

I think it's about time I move to a more solid platform

(so far I've been using weird open source community-based obscure programs hehe)

Thanks!

Guest the_Swede

There is a book called "Cubase SX Complete" by Marc Cooper that I got a copy of since everybody said it was great (and it was cheap too - about $25 or so I think including shipping from UK to Sweden). I personally never use it since it's too basic in my opinion but you may like it, especially if you're a newbie. I suppose I could give you mine for free but I think shipping a book via regular mail is too expensive for it to be worth bothering with. Check it out, anyway.

Guest Xcen

Hi there my northern fellow :) (Live in Canada myself)

Thanks for the offer... I wouldn't know how much the shipping would be to send a book but I'm affraid you are right in saying in wouldn't be worth it... Thanks a lot for such kindness though!

I'll check the book out, see if I can find a copy in a local store...

I don't know anything about cubase  but I am a little familiar with cakewalk and VST technology as well...

Thanks!

Guest Xcen

LO,

Yeah the book isn't too expensive :)

I think the name is a teacher in a private school in my town... (montreal)

I'll see if I can find it lying around or else I'll get it from amazon!

Thanks

Guest Xcen

Hi

This may seem like a silly question but I realize I am not too sure of the answer...

Will I be able to control Cubase with my midibox? I'd guess so but just to be sure...

xcen, of course u can....:)

one thing (and not to start a seq war), if your new to "more solid" seqs, have a think about looking at Logic - since switchin from cubase many moons ago, i've never looked back!

It's a hard nut to crack, espically the environment - but it's worth it ;) you build you own virtual studio around ur exsisting hardware ( and s/w too) with full-on control and manipulation of midi and audio...

Also, this enviro works fantastic with a regular midibox that sends standard cc's (ie MB64 ;p) : http://www.revolver.co.nz/fadermapper/

Best...

Dan

Guest Xcen

Well so far only sequencers I used were trackers (Scream Tracker, Impulse Tracker, ModPlug Tracker, Psycle) and I started investing in VST technology (buying software instruments and stuff... at least planning to buy them :D) What alternatives are available in Logic? I really like the VST system as I want to have as little hardware as possible (A good pc, a solid sound card and a few controllers are all I was planning to use...)

Thanks!

Logic has their own standard for instruments and as far as i can remember no VST instrument runs under Logic, except if it's specially made for Logic too. And as far as i know, most of the Logic fx and instruments are very good quality.

I heard the Logic Enviroment is really good, you can totally customise you're complete interface to your needs.

Logic has their own standard for instruments and as far as i can remember no VST instrument runs under Logic, except if it's specially made for Logic too. And as far as i know, most of the Logic fx and instruments are very good quality.

This is wrong - whilst logic does have it's own effects and instruments (over 90 of em in Plat ;)), it also runs VST(I)'s too, i've got plenty and havn't had probs...

Nice...

Dan

I've used Cubase SX and i like it very much. But it's just not what i'm looking for. I want just the sequence stuff, without all the VST stuff. I couls also not use the extra features of Cubase SX, but what would be the point of using a program of which half of the functions aren't used.... I would use something like cubase 2 or cubase that's running on a Atari ST.

Hi

LO is right, Cubase SX is very different to Cubase 5. I've been using Cubase since the days to the Atari ST and Logic for the last couple of years. I still prefer cubase. Logic does not have "System Link". This is by far Cubase SX most powerful feature.

Rowan

I think logic 6 comes with 2 versions... one for mac os9, one for mac osx. The mac os9 version is VST compatible, the osx uses the new audio units standard. (check with your emagic dealer though)

logic 5 for pc is vst compatible (no version 6 for pc, bugger!)

...steve