~SIDDER~ a SID v2 build

DenDer

As promised some pics of the progress on SIDDER.

The first pic shows the panel as it was and as it is......i cut away all the sides to make a smaller box. Dimensions are around 25 by 19 by 8 cm :o. I think this is going to be the smallest full surface MB SID build... :D

The second pic shows the under frontplate...notice how nice the rotary encoders fit in the existing holes :) look like its made for it!!!

The third and fourth pic shows what the box is going to look like in the future.....already snucked in the lcd.

At the left you can see the original hole for the mixers VU meter and a hole for the mixers mic input(xlr). This is going to be removed to. At the right you see two big holes what ones was a punch in function on the mixer......that side is going to be removed to. At the right upper corner are the 1-5 select buttons and the sid selection buttons. The open hole over there is going to be used for the potmeter of the feedback loop modification.

2008_0731Image0028.JPG

2008_0731Image0029.JPG

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So today my 2 pic's 18F4685 arrived .....totally virgin chips.....so i'm going to build a pic burner as described on uCapps. The parts that i ordered are in the mail and i hope they will be arriving tomorrow.

Also a lot of other parts for the build are in that order.....like mounting stuff for the pcb's. Think about that, i forgot actually. :-X

I'm going to stack 2 SID boards on one another (2x), stack the three DIN boards and the 2 DOUT boards.....the 2 core boards will be placed next to each other....

For mounting everything inside i needed 36 times  m3x8mm for the underside of the pcb stacks and 76 times m3x18mm mounting spacers.....the additional nuts and bolts where already in tha housah.....

Some questions regarding the audio output........

As you know i'll be using 4 SID chips >:( :P

So that leaves some options.....

1. 2x 6581 and 2x 8580

2. 4x 6581

3. 4x 8580

I have enough SID's lying around but haven't tested them all as of yet.

If i would go for option 1 i have the old chip and the new chip in 1 box with 2 stereo outs but is it then also possible to have one master out with all 4 SID's combined? So 2 stereo outs per chip + 1 master. Or is there then an alternative circuit necassery to amp this? Could this be done with JRC 4558 opamps?

The nicest thing i can think of is 4 mono outs per SID, 2x stereo out L/R and one master.

:o PIC BURNER is done and working ;D The story on that can be found here: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=11949.msg97825#new

The bootstraploader is already succesfully burned so nothing is standing in the way of my QuattroSIDDER V2. Now to upload MIOS and the SIDv2 application and i'm ready to roll....atleast....have a bunch of cables to make for connecting the whole thing together ;)

So this weekend did some additional work on the casing (i weighted the parts that i removed and saved about 750 grams :o ) and a whole lot of reading concerning programming,assembling. :)

This is turning out to be a complete DIY project now including programming the pic.

If you have a virgin pic, like i did, some questions are bound to be raised. How to convert a .asm file to a .hex file for instance. Well if found out just by reading the dokuwiki windows toolchain at http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/windows_toolchain_core

Even with my rusty knowledge of DOS ;D it is easy to do. Just follow the steps and you'll be fine.

You need to download some progs and install them in an order and you have to change or edit your PATH directory.

At first it didn't work for me...to hasty probably.....but now i can convert asm's to hex'xxx

Now i can build an application.

I'll post some pics of the progress of the casing this week.......it's gonna be o o o so nice.

o yeah nice fasssssst forum guys...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So it's been a loooooooong time since i've touched the SIDDER baby, but got some spare time again so i'm going to continue this build.....finally...;)

Anyways another idea came to mind to add some analogue controls on it.....but i have to say that the documentation about this subject is poor.....the information there is i've already read but some questions came up....

So....

Can i only use J5 of the master core? And how about the slave core, can i use J5 of that core as well? Or only just the master? If not do i have to clamp all the inputs of the slave to ground?

If I would connect like let's say 5 faders, because only the first 5 inputs are used, 3 are left unused for future purposes and have to be clamped to ground. So fader 1 goes to D0, 2 to D1 etc where does the return wire go? To Vs?

I'm just thinking to add 5 jack connections to the case of SIDDER and route these analog control elements outside. Then i can connect whatever i want to them.....

And guys it's good to be back. :)