x0xb0x Bulk parts order Reloaded. (to Digikey, Mouser, etc).

TheAncientOne

Ahh crap really? Dammit I shoulda gotten in on this buy too!

It always frustrated me that you need to be an active reader of their forum while sitting on an indefinite wait list. I don't mind waiting, but that's a bit much. Now I've got a spot on a list for a kit I can't build hahaha

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, sad but true. Anyway, I think making the x0x from self sourced parts isn`t that hard. Yes, it took us soo long but, it is hard to synchronize so many people and run all those batches.

Jan (unit-sound) is already playing with his x0x built on the PCB from my batch and he sourced all his parts by himself.  :) Mike mentioned me over an email a possibility of making new PCB design with different, easier to find parts that fits panel better. I think it would be a great thing as we are struggling more with those Grayhills and Panasonic than with those rare parts. Ladyada pot selection isn`t the best, and I don`t like the idea of shaft cuttong. I recently discovered I have much better encoders at home than one used in original design. (shaft waaay too short) So, improving the current design (just part selection) and placing it on 2 separate PCBs as Mike suggested would be perfect. I never liked squared look of xox. I think it could look much better with mechanical parts that are easier to find. But let`s first finish this batch and we can think further.

Yeh my problem is that I lack the time for that kind of investment... I can maybe find time to solder a kit but hunting rare parts? No way...

I think I will do one last rare parts run, if I can. So if a kit is needed, then you shall go to the ball Stryderella. Just be sure to get your soldering done before midnight......

Isn't the adafruit kit complete?

I'm not waiting for the kit from adafruit.  Too slow, I have being waiting 1.5 years.  I grabbed the pcb's and panels plus microcontroller from adafruit.  I still need everything else including the rare parts.

My hope is that the prof is filling my hope with this order.

There was a note on the AdaFruit forum that she might not be doing any more kits, because of part supply problems. We share your pain Limor!! She will still be doing parts like the processor, panels and PCBs.

Any ideas if she is fulfilling the pre-prders?

It's a real shame that she isn't able to carry on, she must have been really disappointed to have to do this, I feel even more privilaged to be in this order of bits now. It probably means that the x0x will not be as wide spread as originally intended.

Hopefully the pots will turn up soon enough, it's going to be a while till we get all the bits we have built up. I'm still trying to find someone locally who has an oscilloscope, think I may have to bite the bullett and buy one from ebay, it'll look cool on my desk if anything! The wait that we are having is nothing compared to what people over on Adafruit must have.

I like the sounds of a remake, using different parts and a new board layout. The original x0x seems very big for the amount of knobs/buttons on the panel so it'd be good to condense this. I'm already making two: One using original PCB's parts as on the Ada site, and one using Sasha's boards with all the mods, the main reason for this is that I know I will be asked to lend one out to various people... I may have to build a third if the alternative version comes in to fruition. Everyone needs a 303, but what would one do with 3?

There's no place like home...There's no place like home...

wait, wrong shoes...

I bet you'd look very fetching in a pair of ruby slippers!

I'm not waiting for the kit from adafruit.  Too slow, I have being waiting 1.5 years.  I grabbed the pcb's and panels plus microcontroller from adafruit.  I still need everything

else including the rare parts.

My hope is that the prof is filling my hope with this order.

Prof: I have sent to your email a BOM I picked up from ladyada.  I am concerned about the difference in length between the text document that you have as the parts order list.  Looks lots shorter then the BCbox BOM.  It's in excel 48KB.

I have two x0xb0x kits from Limor.  It took less than six months each time to get through the waiting list.  I signed up for a third x0x, but doubt that it will happen now that she has cancelled the kits.  I can't say as I blame her, I think there are already 800 x0xb0x kits out there.  (One of mine is #773...)

How many of you are considering the x0xb0xmod?  http://www.myspace.com/x0xb0xmod  If so, you'll want to use the LadyADA pcb set.  It's probably better if you buy the separate parts for that instead of a full kit, since you'll be replacing the panels anyway...

And why reinvent the wheel?  If you want a 303 kit that uses parts that are easier to find, why not build the Oakley TM3030?  http://www.oakleysound.com/tm3030.htm  That would be perfect with an MB-SEQ!!!

Prof: I have sent to your email a BOM I picked up from ladyada.  I am concerned about the difference in length between the text document that you have as the parts order list.  Looks lots shorter then the BCbox BOM.  It's in excel 48KB.

Have you added on the rare parts list too?

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,11014.0.html

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,10364.0.html

Im posting it just in case you havent, im not tring to insult your intelligence or anything!

The attached text file is a list of the parts I am preparing to order.

It's not a full BOM, just some of the hard to find parts that Prof has is ordering. You'll have to source all other bits yourself. All the resistors and caps which he ordering are on one line too, rather than spread out one line per value. The rare parts are not in this list.

Prof is not sorting out a full kit as sold by Adafruit, although what he is sorting out is close to a full kit, which is very appreciated. There's still a little bit of parts ordering to do.

g

I have two x0xb0x kits from Limor.  It took less than six months each time to get through the waiting list.  I signed up for a third x0x, but doubt that it will happen now that she has cancelled the kits.  I can't say as I blame her, I think there are already 800 x0xb0x kits out there.  (One of mine is #773...)

How many of you are considering the x0xb0xmod?  http://www.myspace.com/x0xb0xmod  If so, you'll want to use the LadyADA pcb set.  It's probably better if you buy the separate parts for that instead of a full kit, since you'll be replacing the panels anyway...

And why reinvent the wheel?  If you want a 303 kit that uses parts that are easier to find, why not build the Oakley TM3030?  http://www.oakleysound.com/tm3030.htm  That would be perfect with an MB-SEQ!!!

Not seen the x0xb0xmod, but will check it out when I'm home. Will be heavily modding one of them.

Doug, it is not reinventing a wheel, it`s called improving. People are doing it here all the time.  ;) Another thing... Oakley have not much to do with x0x not TB, and lack of dedicated sequencer makes it much less interesting.

• 1 month later...

U have a few pasrt still to get in, (encoders, preset pots and tempco's), but the main bulk is in - Digikey delivered today. I am now the proud, (temporary) owner of 64 Greyhill switches and a block of Panasonic pots.

The encoder specified by Limor, theCT3011-ND, has a short 6mm sgaft with a flat. Sasha send me a picture showing just how short it is. This is on back order for months. They do have stock of the CT3007-ND which has a round, longer shaft. The shaft might need cutting down, and you needed a flat, you'd have to file one, (not too hard IMHO).

Shall I go for these? If anyone who wasn't handy with a file didn't mind waiting until I'd built up one of my Sasha x0x, I could cut and file a spindle for them. I'd expect a drink token for that though!

The round shaft encoders will suit me just fine as I'm planning on using the red Sifam knobs which have round hole! I'd like an extra set though as I may change my mind and use different knobs later on.

Thanks again Prof, you need your picture putting up in the midibox hall of fame!

G

Nah! That's for designers and builders, not for doing the shopping.

I disagree, there's a few people round here that make people's lives a lot easier, whether it be designing, organising PCB's, helping out making it easier/cheaper to get bits and pieces, etc, etc and really contribute to making the community what it is. You've helped others and myself out on countless occasions and the task of ordering the componants would have completely put me off the x0x, expecially with the rarity of some of them. Thanks goes out to Sasha on this one too for his work and patience with amending and sorting fabrication of the PCBS and front panels. Now stop objecting, praise has been given where praise is due!

G