x0xb0x panels

Sasha

I received panels today. Because I wait for so long they came free of charge and I only payed for shipping.  :) The guy forget to wright how much it actually cost. I`ll call them tomorrow and ask. As you might see panel fits this time. I forgot to adjust openings for 2 buttons last time. One thing I noticed is that I`ll need to fix those edges manually on every panel they cut as they are pretty sharp and bit rough so LED don`t slide in. It is alot of work but it has to be done :-\

newpanelskz9.th.jpg

EDIT: Panel EPS attached

panel.zip

panel.zip

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm... Very nice  :)

Sasha, what's your thoughts regarding the top layout ? something similar to what you first posted, red panel with keyboard ?

I don`t think we should run red design. Red really don`t fits everybody. I think black is more universal and fits all tastes. Also, if we make panel red, we will need 2 colour screening (will increase the price) to get those black keys, or change the design to something more like original x0xb0x - no piano keyboard.

I`m bit concerned about openings for buttons as it is kind of rough. So I wonder is anybody have one button cap to send me so I can test it?

Filing all those panels wouldn`t bee fun and it would take much time and effort.

black is beautiful!

that is it sasa. as i´m really busy with other stuff since a while i just come here from time to time and i´m sure not up to date. but i like what i see  ;D

so, it seems like the xox is getting closer, right?

best wishes,

tobias.

Very, very nice Sasha, how do you find time to do all this?

Looks a lot better than the stock x0x kits. I love the font too. Not too sure about the panal screws showing, but don't think it's worth trying to find a way round it... may look better with black screws?

G

I took a look at the red ones again, had to  :) and I still amazed by them.

As discussed some time before regarding panel options (engraved vs screening) I wouldn't mind

paying more for the red version, as long as it o.k with the other builders and of course with you Sasha,

It just a long project and in the end I don't won't to compromise on the design.

Best Regards,

Asaf

I took a look at the red ones again, had to  :) and I still amazed by them.

As discussed some time before regarding panel options (engraved vs screening) I wouldn't mind

paying more for the red version, as long as it o.k with the other builders and of course with you Sasha,

It just a long project and in the end I don't won't to compromise on the design.

Best Regards,

Asaf

I understand you, I wanted to do much more when I decided to organize x0x but things have changed. I kinda lost the energy as this all took too long, and still see got no personal satisfaction. I started to work on the 808 because of that, even it was scheduled much after x0xb0x just to see some reall progress.

I`m thinking... If I make one exception about colour it will start the avalanche and everybody could wished to to it in nonstandard version. I`m organizing building and getting parts for x0x locally too, and keeping things under control is not an easy task. I still don`t see some satisfaction for myself even the results are there. All this could be pretty stressful, and I`m not very stress proof, and I have pretty high expectations from myself. I`m having heart problems for quite some time because of the stress. It is hard to be fair and justify all the peoples expectations, and some people can be hard to deal with so I think I wan`t make special panel orders for now. I`m planing some custom buttons and cases on order after this batch is over, but doing it now as I wanted will make my life harder. I hope you can understand.

I`m bit concerned about openings for buttons as it is kind of rough. So I wonder is anybody have one button cap to send me so I can test it?

Filing all those panels wouldn`t bee fun and it would take much time and effort.

I have just received my "official" x0xb0x kit, so I can take measurements of the real button caps.

I am considering buying some large quantities of these button caps for other projects, I really like the feel of them... but the Digikey part referenced by the x0xb0x BOM looks different in the picture, it's flat on top instead of curved and bevelled. Does anyone know if the Digikey cap is exactly the same as the ones used in official x0xb0x kits?

I also got both the clear acrylic panels and the natural anodized panels. I don't know which one to use now...  ??? maybe the clear acrylic with a diffuser behind it and some colour cycling RGB LED backlighting...  ;D

Absolutely understand.. The red one is good tho  ;D

This reminds me of one local joke about cop and cheese pie. ;D ;D ;D

If people want a custom colour then maybe they could just get an un-finished panel and can sort out getting it painted/Anodised/screened themselves.

Exactly. Anybody want raw panel?

I have just received my "official" x0xb0x kit, so I can take measurements of the real button caps.

Wilba, I used the original x0xb0x as a starting point so I have good measurments, I`m just concerned are the eadgess too sharp and can make button to not move smoothly. Laser on steel don`t have smoothest cutting line even it is precise.

I am considering buying some large quantities of these button caps for other projects, I really like the feel of them... but the Digikey part referenced by the x0xb0x BOM looks different in the picture, it's flat on top instead of curved and bevelled. Does anyone know if the Digikey cap is exactly the same as the ones used in official x0xb0x kits?

True, but If you check the datasheet on Digikey page you`ll see that is the right one. ;)

I also got both the clear acrylic panels and the natural anodized panels. I don't know which one to use now...  ??? maybe the clear acrylic with a diffuser behind it and some colour cycling RGB LED backlighting...  ;D

What is the thickness of acrylic panel?

What is the thickness of acrylic panel?

This is the acrylic panel that was the $20 extra from Adafruit.

http://www.adafruit.com/images/clearpanel.jpg

It's 1.5mm thick, clear with laser etched artwork, but the artwork on the panel looks a bit more opaque than the photo. Maybe the photo is bad or it looks clearer because of the backing paper, I don't know. (I didn't actually intend to buy the acrylic panel, long story, ).

I probably will do my own FPE panel set (in black of course) with white artwork and red divider lines. If I do, I can share the FPD files and people can make one-offs if they like.

This is the acrylic panel that was the $20 extra from Adafruit.

http://www.adafruit.com/images/clearpanel.jpg

It's 1.5mm thick, clear with laser etched artwork, but the artwork on the panel looks a bit more opaque than the photo. Maybe the photo is bad or it looks clearer because of the backing paper, I don't know. (I didn't actually intend to buy the acrylic panel, long story, ).

I probably will do my own FPE panel set (in black of course) with white artwork and red divider lines. If I do, I can share the FPD files and people can make one-offs if they like.

I like that... May consider using one of them for my second x0x which is going to be the one using alternative componants and mods to try and get a "better" sound. It's begging to be underlit though. What kind of material do you use for a diffuser?

G

I like that... May consider using one of them for my second x0x which is going to be the one using alternative componants and mods to try and get a "better" sound. It's begging to be underlit though. What kind of material do you use for a diffuser?

No idea. It was just a crazy idea. Maybe some mylar paper or... hey, I'm being tricked into a thread hijack. stryd_one's gonna come and whack me. Continue with your x0xb0x panel thread now.

Wilba, you got me thinking...

You said acrylic panel is 1.5mm. That is pretty thin. I didn`t figured out what is holding all construction together. Front panel that is attached to the top part of PT10 case or something else. I`m asking because if the panel is just the cover and holds only itself I can make panels out of special engraving plastic material that is based on acrylic. It is coming in 1.6 and I think 2mm thickness. The selection of colours and textures is great, and making panel out f it could be inexpensive, pretty and it can be very custom. I can offer any combination of colours and textures as long as there are enough people interested to fill the one sheet 500x600mm if I remember corectly.

This is one of those materials.

171155252_61299202b8.jpg

The front panel helps support the board somewhat. If you normally press hard against the buttons/knobs, you will stress the panel and cause it to crack a little. So be a little gentle..

As far as I can work out from the Ladyada site, the screws go through the front panal, through the PT-10 case holes and then into the threaded spacers on the main-board. It's only secured along the edge, but this is nearby the lip. Personally, i think it may be stable enough but it may be worth checking all this out

Wilba, you got me thinking...

You said acrylic panel is 1.5mm. That is pretty thin. I didn`t figured out what is holding all construction together. Front panel that is attached to the top part of PT10 case or something else. I`m asking because if the panel is just the cover and holds only itself I can make panels out of special engraving plastic material that is based on acrylic. It is coming in 1.6 and I think 2mm thickness. The selection of colours and textures is great, and making panel out f it could be inexpensive, pretty and it can be very custom. I can offer any combination of colours and textures as long as there are enough people interested to fill the one sheet 500x600mm if I remember corectly.

This is one of those materials.

171155252_61299202b8.jpg

Does this engraving plastic come in any thinner sizes? I'm thinking it could be used on top of a metal panel so that it's more sturdy.

G

I've used a 2mm front panels on a PT-10 case before, it fits fine and is flush with the case. You still would need a 1.5mm rear panel to fit in the slot, unless you wanted to trim the slot with a craft knife to get the extra 0.5mm. What concerns me about the x0xb0x design is there's nothing holding that I/O PCB to the case other than the audio sockets attached to the rear panel. Less than ideal, but not that bad... the rear panel is held tight in the slot on all four sides and the height is ~45mm so it can't bend much.

The engraving plastic that Sasha suggested is a good idea, and it might also be possible to add a little support in the middle, maybe some spacers glued to the back of the panel, and hold the PCB to the spacer with a screw. In this case it might be the PCB supporting the panel more than the other way around.

Also, I'm not trying to be critical of Sasha's x0xb0x panel design, but I don't understand why the labels for the rear sockets are at the top of the front panel on the original x0xb0x... this seems to be some copied design from the TB-303 or maybe just removing the need to silkscreen the rear panels. Since I'm not joining this bulk order, my opinion doesn't matter ;D I just wanted to point out that you have an opportunity to make panels better than the originals, so maybe it's worth considering.