Stribe

TK.

I quickly hacked a MIDIbox based firmware for the Stribe project, and already had a lot of fun with it in conjunction with Reaktor.

The released firmware is available in the MIOS download section

Temporary updates can be found in the Repository

Reduced MBHP_CORE circuit for Stribe board (can be soldered on the prototyping area). The Arduino modules are not required for this solution.

stribe_mb_option5.jpg

More #1

More #2

More #3

More #4

The firmware is currently running on a PIC18F452, but future updates will use a PIC18F4620 (e.g. for optional OSC support)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

SpectraSymbol stock price rose 23% in morning trade today after TK showed off his MIDIbox-based "Stribe". Josh Boughey, the inventor of "Stribe", was unable for comment, possibly due to the thousands of "Count me in for one Stribe kit minus the Arduino!" emails.

That is just amazing!!!  :D Congratulations Thorsten. I love when you mess with other projects. It always ended much better, or it is just more the way we like it.

Not sure how those meters are realized. I`m not Reaktor user but it seams more responsive than LC meters! Is it?

Looking forward to read more info about it.

Yes, the meters are much better, because with Reaktor I was able to construct my own "algorithm" :)

It basically consists of a rectifier, amplifier, lin/log-converter, slew limiter (to smooth the waveform), sample&hold stage, step filter (events are only forwarded if there is a difference of >= 1) and CC output unit:

reaktor_midi_meter.gif

8 of these macros are stacked together, and the S&H stages are clocked at 50 Hz to reduce MIDI traffic:

reaktor_midi_meter_array.gif

It looks simple, no? :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

That is absolutely insane.

I must be missing something though, I can't seem to find a price for the kit.

I'd love to try something like it using QProx sensors, but they would probably be too low-res.

I just think it's be cool to have the whole thing sealed under glass.

Still very cool.

Lyle

Hey TK, long time no see (or read...)!

That's some great machine there! Not only for music, but dozens of apps. I surfed all the links but I miss one single information for getting started such a project: Where to get the stribes (I mean those sensors there) for a "normal" person?!? Who are the distributors? Are there?!?

GREETZ!!! :) :) :)

I must be missing something though, I can't seem to find a price for the kit.

Meanwhile the price for the uC Hacker's kit is US $470 - this might sound too high, on the other hand (IMHO) it's worth the money. The boards are excellently constructed (e.g. the driver board is a 4-layer design), and they are essential to get a stable and nice looking device :)

Hey TK, long time no see (or read...)!

Yes! :)

Btw.: the original stribe works with Atmel chips ;)

Where to get the stribes (I mean those sensors there) for a "normal" person?!? Who are the distributors? Are there?!?

I don't know a distributor, Phineus directly contacted the manufacturer (see http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,10308.0.html)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 10 months later...

Sorry about my ignorance (again)...

It could be possible link this with the new stm32 core module? and Stribe 1 kit?

It will be so great have it "standalone" without software conection (like a regular linear fader...)

I'm getting so high?

Thanks

It could be possible link this with the new stm32 core module?

You could link it at least via MIDI ;)

The MIOS8 based version already works standalone - a MIDI device can be connected directly w/o the need for a PC.

But yes - I'm planning a MIOS32 version as well. It's a bit exorbitant to use a 32bit core for a device which already works perfectly with the PIC, but we will get the advantage of native USB MIDI and native OSC support via Ethernet w/o the need for OS dependent proxies.

and Stribe 1 kit?

Do you know the difference between the old and the new Stribe1 kit?

I'm getting so high?

No - as this is already provided by the PIC based firmware. And as you can read, we are even going higher :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I'm thinking I'll be getting a Stribe 1 kit at some point.

The original stribe was a bit too expensive for me to justify (for soemthing I have no clue about using) but I like the fact that the stribe 1 modules can be built up over time depending on your needs. They look really pretty too :D

• 3 months later...

You could link it at least via MIDI ;)

The MIOS8 based version already works standalone - a MIDI device can be connected directly w/o the need for a PC.

But yes - I'm planning a MIOS32 version as well. It's a bit exorbitant to use a 32bit core for a device which already works perfectly with the PIC, but we will get the advantage of native USB MIDI and native OSC support via Ethernet w/o the need for OS dependent proxies.

Thanks. I wanted to say "It could be possible port Stribe project into STM32 as a actual core?

I understand your answer

:)

well, I look at your vid again and I notice you are using some of linked stribe 1 instead original stribe kit but my question was about "code".

How many difficult is coding in STM32 in comparision with actual Cores? (I'm learning C for code my arduino and STM32 seems the next step in my DIY midi controllers learn process)

Cool!

• 7 months later...