DIY SSL Mixbus Compressor

DavidBanner

I have built one of those but still have some problems with it.  ???

Mainly due to me being a newbe in electronics. Also the 230 voltages are a bit scary...

If you get yours up and running maybe I can ask for some voltage measurements to see where mine is messed up?

//Peter

Yes, i've looked at the prodigy-pro forum but I think I lost my motivation somewhere at page 32 of 171. The posted sympthoms just didn't match mine.

Oh, I see that they have cleaned up the SSL help thread. Cool!

I will give prodigy a new chance. But then there is this lack of free afternoons...  ;)

I found this last night and I figured I wouldn't be the only one who wanted to build one of these babies...

http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm

Eh you found this last night?

I allready build this one since they left the recording forums.

It's a very good compressor.

I have build 1 for someone in NZ . Still have to build 3 myself.

It sounds great.

The problem was, to find the right transormers for it.

PPR just invented a "theoretical" design. He simulated it, but never built one.

I ended up with some OEP transformers, which I often used for simular projects.

It was a very easy design and you have to "modify" it a little bit. Then it sounds good.

But be warned. If you are not familiar with tube circuits it isn't a good starter project at all.

btw. Here are the links to the comp.

http://music-club.rutgers.edu/headfonz/Comp5/Comp5.html

http://www.conditionedresponse.com/DIY/C5/index.html

Have fun!

greets

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on a successful build  ;D

The auto mode can be very brutal. at least mine goes bezerk in Auto mode.  ;D

Update.

I must have been using dry cardboard or somthing for cables during my last testing.

The hum and noise is completely gone. Unless I try the Auto release mode when it goes into berzerk mode.  ??? but mayby that is supposed to happend on the sixth release option?

If you look at the controller PCB on the ssl.pdf at Gyraft site

http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.pdf

Did you put your release Switch to 5 or six positions? Mine is set at 6 and it's the last one that goes weird (rather nice if you want metasonix style distortion)

//Peter

great news that your unit is working!

sounds like an ground issue was the problem....

Did you put your release Switch to 5 or six positions? Mine is set at 6 and it's the last one that goes weird (rather nice if you want metasonix style distortion)

Hehehe - I've set my switch to 5 pos - but I'm gonna set it to 6 if I get some cool fx like you are saying!!!

That's not a problem - it's a circuit bend "undocumented feature". the release is only meant to have 5 positions...

Ah, I have suspected that but never found a good reference that says it's a "undocumented feature"

the minute someone writes it down as a feature it's no longer an Undocumented Feature ;)

If you leave the switch at 6 pos it leaves the Common Floating, I guess this is why you are getting some freaky stuff happening.

Well, I have a full set of parts and PCBs and such here for it, but haven't built it yet...

I didn't see the 2nd page, derrrr  ::) Oh now I see it... position 6 is auto release, ahhhhhhh, that I knew about. It's not so undocumented if you use that as a search term, but position 6 gets not a lot. I think the brackets are just because it's the odd-one-out..it's not a "value" as such.

It's probably obvious that I haven't even begun to consider assembling mine ;)

Let us know how you go with yours man... I've had my kit sitting here for about a year or two waiting for that free afternoon to come along hehe

Hehehe me too....but only for a few months on my account......

They say that the GSSL is even better than the original......a friend of mine already build 4 of these and they are awesome. But it all depends on which vca's you're gonna use.

Well, I left my thought to be defective unit on the shelf for nearly three years before this thread came along. (and to find it working perfectly just by changing cables... :-[  )

It took me two-three weeks to build, including the case (one hour here and there)

But after hooking it up and listening to some serious pumping I could not be more pleased.  ;D

(it can probably be used transparently as well but that's no my cup of tea)

I finally understand why some people hang on to their hardware.

And I'm a big software fan, often preferring the SW alternative unless the HW sounds really good.( like a SID box)  The Gssl is just instant gratification. 8) 

I'm probably going to name mine "Make sound awesome!" ;D

(Btw, I'm using THAT2180LB VCA's)

//Peter