Cheap MEC 3F Switch Source in US

Logo

Electronics Goldmine is selling the MEC 3F w/ red led at 5 for $1 http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G15660. The bad news is you have to find your own keycaps. I ordered mine from Newark at $0.58 a piece plus a $15 import handling fee.

Add on the price for replacement leds in the color of your choice, and it's a pretty good deal. 

• 1 month later...

I've just today received a batch of these from goldmine. I was going to wait until I could source the caps without a $15 handling fee ($#_(*_% postage charges!!!) before saying anything, then saw this thread.

Note that these have a sharp, clicky feel, just depressing the edge of the switch. They aren't soft-feeling. They click on the down press and they click on the release. Plastiky-sounding. Shouldn't be a problem when the beats are going, but the feel may be a tad off-putting.

Prof, I will likely have some funds to do another order in a few days or so, and I'd gladly trade shipping services (heck, the clear caps might be cheaper from EU if you bought them and sent them in a padded envelope, than if Newark were to import them). It certainly wouldn't cost more than a few dollars to send the switches the same way.

Note that these have a sharp, clicky feel, just depressing the edge of the switch. They aren't soft-feeling. They click on the down press and they click on the release. Plastiky-sounding. Shouldn't be a problem when the beats are going, but the feel may be a tad off-putting.

MEC will do custom runs only, of what they call the 'quiet' variant. These are tacts, with the same specs as the normal 3F's so they have all the benefits of normal tacts, but unlike normal tacts, they don't click. They're especially intended for use in pro audio gear.

I have samples of the quiet switches here, and they are f(*&#$ lovely. Some of you will be aware that I've been searching for a good switch for some years now, and these are the first I've been really happy with. I think that says something about them.

I'll be doing a bulk order of the switches and a few kinds of caps (including a couple which can also only be had as a custom run) soon. Just waiting on pricing.

I prefer my feedback to be more musical and less intrusive ;)

Visual feedback = lights. You still get that from the quiet switches.

tactile feedback = feel in your finger. You still get that from the quiet switches.

audible feedback = a clicking noise that has nothing to do with your song, and/or, you hear it in your music. You get the latter, and not the former, with the quiet switches. Yummy.

Try auditioning a hihat with a noisey tact switch and you'll see why it's a pain... Or when you're doing a mixdown and trying to focus on high frequencies... or when you're trying to pinpoint a click in a sample or an instrument recording... I could go on for days....

• 1 year later...

i have got a sales rep from mec cmoing tomorrow morning, with a set of switches for me and a look at the stock and samples too, i will get as much info and photos as i can, i will test as many as i can too. if they are as good as they say i can stock these switches here the sales rep also said on button legends can be used from thier current legend library to custom work, however he did not give me pricing details and quantities for custom legends.

i have had the okw stuff turn up though and its good quality, im working on stocking some of their knobs and rotary dials etc here too.

more to follow tomorrow