is it just me, or is the FORUM going OFFLINE alot ?

Artesia

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was searching this forum and found an interesting suggestion from Shadyman:

I found Mibbit (http://www.mibbit.com/), an AJAX-based IRC client, which you can embed in an IFRAME.

This solution would take the load from the midibox server and could be integrated into the forum gui... seems like a good compromise  :)

regards,

Michael

Flash chat is shit. It trashes the mysql database.

So any other options? I am out.

I had an IRC running chat but people told me better not to due to security reasons.

Forum stability is primary and ram was upgraded but did not help. It simply is flashchat that is not a good app.

Hmm, don't know how stable the betas of FlashChat are, but maybe you could try the cached mode to take the load of the database?

S

In 4.8.0, we have added a significant new feature: chat caching. With caching, your server load will be substantially reduced. And with the new "full caching" option, you can use FlashChat in the default installation (not integrated with a CMS or bulletin board) without any database at all!

At the second step of installation, you will be prompted to determine whether to use FlashChat in the default mode, or with "partial caching" or "full caching". Here's what they mean:

Partial caching: database access is only made "on demand". You can use all of the normal FlashChat features, but a connection to the database is only created when needed. Features like CMS integration, bots, user profiles, socket server, and all other features of FlashChat are still usable in this mode.

Full caching: No database is used at all. In other words, the chat messages, room list, and user list are all stored in plain text files. Although this increases the number of file read/writes dramatically, and in some cases can slow down the chat, the overall server load is significantly reduced since a good chunk of server resources goes into database connections and accesses.

Although this increases the number of file read/writes dramatically, and in some cases can slow down the chat

is this a joke? how could you make the flushychat even slower?  :D

so is there a IRC channel to join? i am sure we can deal with it  :-\

I need some MBchat !

• 1 month later...

Can anybody tell me what's so bad about IRC?

I'm already in several IRC channels and adding just another channel would be easier for me than running a separate chat thingie.

I know IRC isn't perfect but it works and there are several clients out there so at least you can choose the one you like best.