New windows setup guides

weeks of trying to find the spare time, and 15 hours later.... The Windows section of the application development wiki page has been updated to reflect the new MIOS structure as seen in the latest sid and seq releases.

Setup & Install

I have also included setup instructions for NotePad++. Existing NotePad++ users, UltraEdit Users, and Code::Blocks users might like to check it out ;)

A couple points of note: (boring details)

Until now, we have been using a zip file (posix_bin.zip) which was cut from the WinAVR toolchain to provide us with the POSIX environment. This works great, and is not too complex - all you have to do is unzip the file to a directory and put it in the path.

However, I try to make the docs as "friendly" as possible, so I tried to use an installer. Unfortunately, one of the most important tools, make, does not have an installer for the latest version, as such. However, we can get the latest version using another required installer, and copy it over.

I asked a few guys in the chat (names withheld to protect the innocent) and they thought the installer+copy would be easier than unzip+unzip+change directory+unzip method, so I went with that. Now, the posix tools are installed with MSYS, and make 3.81 is installed with mingw, and copied to the MSYS directory. As well as making things work in the installers to be 'friendly', this also avoids problems with different unzip utilities, and unknown paths used for installation.

...but, it might change in the not too distant future.

Also, I have not updated the Code::Blocks project setup to reflect the new structure. Why? because I'm not using it any more. If someone would like to volunteer, please feel free ;)

Oh, and if you are doing a custom app and want to know how to include the mios sdcclib library or custom memory segments, you can ask me. The short answer is: copy a linker script from the SVN repository, and edit is as before, and specify it in your makefile. The long answer is not long enough to make it worth documenting the tiny change hehe

Eye candy:

Check out notepad++ on MIDIbox missions. Double clicking the error jumps to the offending line, you can edit ASM or C and get highlighting and completion in both, and build with a shortcut, and filter 'cosmetic' errors. Hotness:

notepadplus:npp_in_action.jpg

Enjoy, and feel free to edit it or point out any problems.

Eye candy:

Check out notepad++ on MIDIbox missions. Double clicking the error jumps to the offending line, you can edit ASM or C and get highlighting and completion in both, and build with a shortcut, and filter 'cosmetic' errors. Hotness:

Enjoy, and feel free to edit it or point out any problems.

ooh, I like your color scheme!  unfortunately I use Linux and code with vim and/or SCiTE (which I think Notepad++ shares an uncanny similarity to)... any chance of getting the colors somewhere, hopefully in some sort of RGB format, so I can translate them to custom font settings?!

• 4 weeks later...

ooh, I like your color scheme!  unfortunately I use Linux and code with vim and/or SCiTE (which I think Notepad++ shares an uncanny similarity to)... any chance of getting the colors somewhere, hopefully in some sort of RGB format, so I can translate them to custom font settings?!

had you ever try Kate? come with customs languages colors. Pic/Asm too.

Thanks for the guidelines, stryd!

May I add that in MinGW 5.1.4 it seems that an old version of mingw32-make (3.80) is included. I had to manually add the GNU make, not a big deal, can be found on the same sourceforge site scrolling further down. Also, the -version command for make actually says "This program built for i686-pc-mingw32". Strange...  ;D

Best regards, ilmenator

Hmm that's weird... the 5.1.4 is just an installer which copies the files and then extracts them... Did you select the ‘Candidate’ package? If you use 'Release' then you'll get the version you got, but 'Candidate' should be using 3.81...

here my MIOS Pic/Asm language for Notepad++

LOL... I've been distributing one amongst forum members for testing since this thread was started ;) I hope you didn't put too much time into this.

Anyway your attachment only has one line:

<NotepadPlus />

:(

and a little escamotage to have hexe number too.

Does it work for the whole number, or just the 0x part? The notepad++ forums said that for it to work like the inbuilt ASM language, you'd have to rebuild the lexer....

Mine, for comparison. We should combine them and then I'll post it to the wiki page for downloading. Noone has complained about it yet, so I guess the testing was successful so far ;)

Edit: BTW the list of keywords was built from a highlighting script for another editor, and a PIC14 highlight file for notepad++, and two other sources which I can't remember.

userDefineLang.zip

userDefineLang.zip

i've changed the attach!

mine it's probably incomplete and not so accurate but comparing and combine would be better! i'm seeing at yours now.

for the hex number 0x the number define color don't work. to have them colored, i've make orange numbers, and used one the the 4 groups keywords just for "x", Prefix Mode, same orange color. voila'.

haveing just 4 group it's very limitant to me.

my intention was to have a more MIOS/Pic oriented colors, with all registers and #define and functions too.

userDefineLang.zip

userDefineLang.zip

for the hex number 0x the number define color don't work. to have them colored, i've make orange numbers, and used one the the 4 groups keywords just for "x", Prefix Mode, same orange color. voila'.

You kinda need the preset keywords for other things :( (you can see in my file)

I'm checking yours out now.

Yeh, mines got everything yours does, and then some... in addition, the way you implemented that prefix set cauld cause erroneous highlighting. sorry man!

I notice yours is made for the default colour scheme, I reckon you could just make a copy of mine, with your colours in it instead, and I'll make them both available.

yes mine can cause error highlight :) the intent was for personal test, i use Linux Kate that have an extreme poweful Code editor.

for me that works because i've never find a word that start with "x" :p. but it's just an escamotage.

yours it's absolutely more complete but you have left out "btg" as i can see :D.

G.