• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Works Great ;D

Bq3QkT22ieU

(crossfader not shown)

Hey rasteri, that seams great. So, what is the final resolution at the end.. 360?

What is the diameter of disc?

How it feels compared to record or other digital scratch solutions?

What do you think now about resolution? Will you try to go higher?

What are the plans?

Please wright some more details about it as you seams pretty competent to review it. Thank you.

Also, I would really like if you Simone, or somebody else could bring that Spanish scratch project on light.

@dstamand

What is the resolution of that Maudio disc?

Hey rasteri, that seams great. So, what is the final resolution at the end.. 360?

What is the diameter of disc?

How it feels compared to record or other digital scratch solutions?

What do you think now about resolution? Will you try to go higher?

What are the plans?

The disc is 16cm in diameter, just smaller than a 7" piece of vinyl, which I'll try mounting underneath it on a spindle. I'm going to stick the whole thing on something like a harddisk motor.

It feels very responsive, on the same level as a CDJ-1000. I'm a pretty good turntablist and I would be happy scratching on it for hours. There's a few problems to work out though, for example the cue point keeps slipping, and the disc isn't big enough (for me).

The resolution seems fine, in fact I'm thinking about lowering the resolution as the sensor keeps missing grooves. Or maybe it's because the slits in the pattern aren't the right size for the sensors. This is the first time I've ever made an optical encoder...

rasteri, I`m so blown away by your video!!!  :D For non-turntablist like me this sounds and looks very, very useful. Bravo! I`m going to build one myself just for fun even I`m out of scratching. It takes alot of practice to learn to do it properly and you actually never stop learning but it is fun to fool around with it.  ;D

So, what was cosing drifting?

What do you think about bigger disc, and increasing the resolution?

Would it cosed to feel less as the vinyl because of the different moving speed?

Do you adjusting the sensitivity somehow? MTE did something like that on hs Traktorizer, and I`ve always thought it is a great idea if you can "tune" the response somehow.

The drifting was caused by the DJ program I was using (mixvibes), it seems to ignore very small movements. This was naturally causing the audio to go out of sync with the wheel. Switching to Traktor 3 fixed it.

There are 250 grooves in the encoder wheel, so that gives 1000 points per turn (one per edge transition). I'm going to mount the whole thing on a spindle and use a real piece of 7" vinyl as the scratch surface, maybe I'll use a bigger encoder wheel.

The difference in sensitivity from a real vinyl doesn't really matter, I mean if you're a turntablist you're used to scratching on different speed platters anyway (33/45).

Here's the code if anyone's interested.

...it is not "if anyone interested", rather for all of you interested.  ;D

Thank you very much. How about some software description for us non-programmers. What it exactly doing? Also could you post some more hardware details? Did you just connected IR opto and crossfader on free DIN AIN pins, or maybe directly to the core?

Rasteri, thank you for the wiki.

I just started to look around for those faders you listed. vestax CF-CC crossfader looks cheapest of all and it still cost $129.00  :o

What is the impedance of that fader and what is the cheapest crossfader that can be used for scratching?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey just to let y'all know I'm still working on this.

Latest plan is to have a slightly-bigger-than-12" encoder wheel glued to a real piece of 12" vinyl. The LED/photodiode would then be mounted on a real turntable. I decided I'm not really good enough at construction to do it any other way.

It also has the advantage of being portable to any club with a turntable. It could be mounted in the 45RPM adapter hole, or the lid hinges, for easy installation/removal. Easier than wiring up Serato in the middle of the previous guy's set, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Now got a aluminum foil capacitive sensor on the wheel so the song keeps playing if you let go.

bNtCZN97R3I

I think that's basically all we need, now to start building it into something that isn't made of cardboard and duct tape. (When I get paid).