Saratronics SARA-001

sebiiksbcs

I'd be curious to hear it in a musical context.  I've never heard of such a thing.

None of the usual big-box component suppiers list the Philips SA1099P sound generator IC on their web sites, but I did see it listed on eBay for $18 with free shipping.  I'd be curious to hear this IC in a musical context - I've never heard of it before.

The module is designed to be BASIC Stamp compatible, which means that it should connect very easily to a MBHP Core.  Even though the full schematic and board layout is on the Saratronics site, for only $7 more than the eBay listing you get all the support parts and a little PCB too.

Sorry for the typo, I foxed... umm fixed the link.

I got this from this page: (Notes about making sound with an Arduino, very basic)

http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2007/11/11/arduino-sound-part-1/

Some Devices to research

I would like to get my hands on these devices to see how well they work. Write a comment to suggest any others.

[...]

SARA-001

This is not really a chip but would interface to the uC.

SAA1099

Chip used on older Sound Blaster cards, might be able to salvage one. The SARA-001 uses this chip so they may still be available somewhere.

>>>used on older Soundblaster cards?

http://velesoft.speccy.cz/saa1099-cz.htm

Here are some docs and mp3 samples of the SAA1099 chip.

Hmmmm... it sounds a lot like a SID with no filter.  It does have a really nice, glassy square wave.  As intriguing as it sounds, I think I'll look forward to working with SID and SwinSID for now.

Nice link!  And always nice to hear "enola gay"!

Hmmm, after hearing it - it sounds like something that will need to be built... Shit. Another project.

You're right... :D

I would like to do (or join?) the work of interfacing the chip to MBHP, not because the sounds are great, but more like as first experience of that kind for me.

I have no experience in programming other than simple MIOS yet, and I naively still dream of learning how to write in assembler or C to control different sound chips or devices with microcontrollers one day. ;)

So do you guys think controlling the SAA1099 from a Core could be a thing not too hard to learn and realize for a beginner? Has anyone different suggestions for exercises? Anything you've done before, which I could learn from?

akcija you should take a look at nILS' thread about the pokey chip.... Look at the title, and be inspired ;)

Edit: Also take note of his postcount and numerous chatroom hours, and realise that it's not just 'a walk in the park' (same as with me) :)

They just came up with (at least I hadn't seen that yet) the SARA-002:

The new SARA-002 Complex Sound Generator KIT built around the SN76477 chip is now available. 

Available only in kit form (without PCB) and work with a single +9VDC power supply or battery.

Can be easily modified or expanded adding new features. 

Main Features :                                                                                                         

1 SLF (Super Low Frequency Oscillator but will operate up to 20 KHz)

1 VCO (Voltage Controlled Oscillator)

1 NOISE GENERATOR(Pseudo-Random white noise)

1 NOISE FILTER (-3dB variable band-width low-pass filter)

1 MIXER (The mixer logics selects one or a combination of the inputs from the generators)

1 ATTACK/DECAY CIRCUITRY (alters the rise and fall times of the envelope)

1 VCA (The dynamic output range is limited to 2,5 volts peak to peak before clipping occurs)

You're right... :D

I would like to do (or join?) the work of interfacing the chip to MBHP, not because the sounds are great, but more like as first experience of that kind for me.

I have no experience in programming other than simple MIOS yet, and I naively still dream of learning how to write in assembler or C to control different sound chips or devices with microcontrollers one day. ;)

So do you guys think controlling the SAA1099 from a Core could be a thing not too hard to learn and realize for a beginner? Has anyone different suggestions for exercises? Anything you've done before, which I could learn from?

man, i would love to be a part of this also.  i'm trying to do my best with nILS MbPOKEY but i would a much wiser person if i started from the beginning as you are.  i'm trying to learn C from Fluke so that will hopefully help.  i want to be a helpful person to the community, not a leach, so i would love to help with this.  does saratronics sell the SAA1099 with their kits?  i'll google it and see if i can source a few...   ;D

[edit]  here's a link to the datasheet:  ('http://www.tranzistoare.ro/datasheets/1150/493200_DS.pdf')

[edit again]  the only problem with saratronics.com is that they already did the component side of the fun.  i would really like to figure out a circuit for something sometime, like nILS did with the POKEY... i guess i'm probably dreaming.

• 2 weeks later...