PSU Sticky Nomination

Snoozr

Hi all,

I'd like to nominate this for a MIDIbox SID sticky.   I just spent more time than I care to say trying to figure out how to approach the PSU (since I am just a musician [no electronics skills], sometimes this all looks like Japanese to me  ;D).

In fact, I would also like to nominate this (or something like this) as a link inside the MBSid Walkthrough page. 

http://www.danielprice.org.uk/synth-diy/sid_2.htm

Thanks (and massive thanks to TK for all of this!)

PS - this would probably cut down the number of noob questions that the Moderators have to answer....

Welcome aboard! ;D

Excellent documentation. Crying shame that he didn't put it on the wiki where it belongs :(

I've said 1000 times it seems, that off-site documentation is bad, because it tends to disappear over time, and is harder to find (won't turn up in any searches), does not get updated, cannot be updated by other users, etc etc. I could go on all day.

Please feel free to turn it into a wiki page and link it in there. Just copy and paste the text, apply some formatting, and email the images to MBWiki.Upload@gmail.com and I will put them on the wiki for you. No need for a sticky though, IMO.

PS - you can edit your posts.

PPS - Maybe when you edit your first post and remove the second one, you can fix the link (remove the trailing "/"):

http://www.danielprice.org.uk/synth-diy/sid_2.htm

:)

... and every time someone references that how-to, I say "He used a bridge rectifier with an uncommon pinout causing more than one person to burn out their transformer because they wired it up incorrectly"

Feel free to quote me in the wiki page you make  ;D

Thanks for the warm welcome.  Tell you what - I will make an analogous one (with a link to the original one as a citation credit) and then incorporate it into the wiki like you said.  That way, it can be updated/corrected (plus, I get to contribute something instead of just lurking  ;D).   I will also post my Mouser order #s kind of like Smash has.

I liked that guide because I can handle "monkey see, monkey do".  I am still working on the "monkey read electrical schematic/CAD diagram/etc., monkey build a prototype in his head". ;D

Hopefully I won't burn anything up with my Mouser #: 625-W08G-E4 bridge rectifier.

PS - thanks also to Wilba whose design is so cool I just *had* to give it a try.

... and every time someone references that how-to, I say "He used a bridge rectifier with an uncommon pinout causing more than one person to burn out their transformer because they wired it up incorrectly"

Feel free to quote me in the wiki page you make  ;D

When I made that page, I wrote next to the circuit diagram (quote)Bear in mind that your rectifier and regulator might not have the same pins in the same places as mine(/quote). After you pointed out to me that mine were non-standard (I had no idea, I just got 'em from the local electronics shop) I made the text bold to draw attention to it.  No offence meant Wilba, but I ain't sure what else you want me to do...

PS: Yes, I know the page is horrible. i was a lot younger then, and didn't know CSS. Or good taste.

PPS: Even worse, that's as far as my MBSID has gotten yet - work, girlfriend, life etc. Gonna have to order some parts soon, to get me back into it...

Sorry about the confusion... No offence taken, I don't want you to do anything else!

I was just making a joke about myself being compelled to remind people about the non-standard bridge rectifier ;D (while reminding people about the non-standard bridge rectifier).

Sorry about the confusion... No offence taken, I don't want you to do anything else!

I was just making a joke about myself being compelled to remind people about the non-standard bridge rectifier ;D (while reminding people about the non-standard bridge rectifier).

No problem. As always seems to be the case on the 'net, it's hard to judge exactly what tone someone was trying to take.