bugfight

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tick the "+ Additional Options..." below the text input field

Got it! (and resized the 640 to 600) I actually try to bump things to 640 for that same reason, but I guess 600 will be the new width if it's safer in that regard.

BTW- That help page for the forum posting is a work of art. I either hadn't read it, or purged it when some new stuff went in my small-ass head. ;D

I guess it all requires using actual post attachments rather than an outside picture host. It's a shame you can't place them within the text though.

that thing is a great idea, mb-dev_brd...

Yeah, it was nice. Mainly just because I could compile and dump an app to it, tap some buttons to see how it ran, then change it and re-dump while sitting and staring at the same area. I had to lower my monitor platform recently to accomodate a 3-space rack though. Maybe I can build a new one into the monitor stand or something that hangs at the top of the screen. Wonder if I could fit one into this stupid "multimedia" keyboard I'm using which already has transport and volume controls that barely work with anything. (I was planning a nicer PS2 keyboard MIDIbox long ago for the studio, but I'm out for now and won't need it :'()

Take Care,

George

Wilb', i got a question;

how you manage to cut that cable and with that precision?

I'm wondering more about those neat clean raw wires sticking out of the insulation. :o

That's one thing I dread about ribbons, nothing can get in there to strip them easily. His look tinned or something too (mine are always all fuzzy looking :-[).

Those boards really are beautiful by the way! 

wilb', i got a question;

how you manage to cut that cable and with that precision?

seems like you already bought it pre-cut to the given length..

100mil (0.1") spacing ribbon is thicker than the 50mil (0.05") spacing kind, the wire is multi-strand and pre-tinned, but if you nick it a little then when you bend it, it breaks at that point. However, because the wire and the insulation is much thicker, you don't need wire cutters, and can cut the insulation with a knife and pull off the insulation from each wire.

The best way to strip the insulation from the wires is to lightly score with a knife on the flat side, i.e. cut half-way through the insulation, not cutting to the wire, then do small cuts between each wire (from the score line to the end), then pull off each little bit of insulation with pliers, being careful not to grip the wire too much and pull the wire out. What you do not want to do is cut, scratch, dent, damage the wire in any way, because if you do, the wire will break when bending. Then use the holes of the PCB to bend the ends of the wire - insert cable so 2mm of wire (about the thickness of the PCB) is visible between the top of the PCB and the start of the insulation, then bend 90 degrees. I bend it so the ribbed side of the cable will be on the inside.

• 4 weeks later...

I like your lab cimo - looks not uberexpensive but definitely functional

in fact over 50% of what you see it s either second hand stuff or recycled stuff, the pc under the desk is a machine built with stuff i ve found on the street and got for free.

By using a laptop hard drive and supplying the fan with the 3.3 voltage section plus a little trimmer i got a far more silent machine than most of commercial unit you can buy nowadays.

Simone

Gotta watch out for laptop HDD though - 5400RPM drives are teh suck when you hit the pagefile. Of course in a DAW you fix the pagefile and have lots of RAM... if you have more money than stryd_one... My PC is a Celeron II 333Mhz that my neighbour donated, out of pity for the computer tech that couldn't afford his own computer. It works, I don't need an upgrade *that* badly ;D

Gotta watch out for laptop HDD though - 5400RPM drives are teh suck when you hit the pagefile

mine is 4200 but it does his job, this is not my DAW, just our home computer

My PC is a Celeron II 333Mhz that my neighbour donated, out of pity for the computer tech that couldn't afford his own computer. It works, I don't need an upgrade *that* badly Grin

with all your work here you should put a donate (spare parts for pc) button in your profile

Ahh you guys are too kind! Truth be told, I now slightly misuse a work PC when I'm on the forum (in my own time of course, although I sometimes take a quick break from work and midibox for distraction)... and, if I stopped spending money on midibox parts I could probably fork out for a decent PC :D

The Celeron is the one in my lab though, cause I don't want to splash solder all over a laptop I don't own hehehe

I compile on the work PC (for speed) and transfer with a USB memory stick to the lab (for midi) to upload though, and that is a pain in the ass! But I only have myself to blame.... oh... and MEC. and Optrex. Those bastards, they're dealing DIY audio crack, I got the monkey on my back!

• 1 month later...