Midifying 3-manual TO Console

Jim Pitts

My project is to midify a 3-manual TO console which began its life as an Artisan Oriental model in 1969.  Despite its age, the unit is in pristine condition with pipe organ appointments throughout, wooden key desk, and a most substantial 32-note AGO pedalboard.  The completed project will consist of the following:

Solo manual ~ 61 notes

Great manual ~ 61 notes

Accomp manual ~ 61 notes with second touch

Pedal ~ 32 notes with second touch

158 Reisner SAM stop controls

Main/Solo swell shoes

Crescendo

10 dedicated pistons per manual

18 General pistons

1 General cancel

(velocity control is not desired; second touch derived from contacts)

I may opt for direct keying rather than scanmatrix to lessen potential latency as I do not know how much the PC relay will introduce on its own.  Having laid out the basic recipe, what does the collective braintrust recommend in terms of the number of MBHP Cores and MIDIO128's to achieve MIDI communication with the PC?  I do understand that SAM magnet controls is a different beast altogether but have a rudimentary understanding how MIDIO128's handle this with respect to keying electro/mechanical devices through MIDI-out from the PC Relay.  One final question ~ does Smash provide the 128 Kits ~ I did not find it listed on his website (or I don't know where to look) but did find the MBHP Core kit listed.

I have read....and read....and read....(and am still reading) the forum for clues and completed designs on previous projects of this type.  My forte' is not programming but I can build anything electronic that sports good schematics.  Therefore, I'd like to begin construction of the modules as I broaden my knowledge base through the forum and individual member contact from time to time.  Any comments, directions, or suggestions will be welcomed.

One final question ~ does Smash provide the 128 Kits ~ I did not find it listed on his website (or I don't know where to look) but did find the MBHP Core kit listed.

The hardware for MIDIO128 is 1 Core plus up to 4 DIN and 4 DOUT, all available from Smash.

JIm,

You can do it all with the midio128, and yes, all from SMASHTV.  There is not one overall kit for the midio128.  It consists of a core module, digital in module and digital out modules, each available as a kit from Smash, running the midio128 application software from MBHP. My organ is in transition from a two manual midified console with  PC running jOrgan and three ranks of pipe, to a final configuration with features much as you describe, and 5 ranks of pipes.

In my view, midibox cores and I/O cares is the way to go on the hardware, and jOrgan is the way to go on the VTO side.  jOrgan ver. 3.0 can be programmed to drive SAMS without any problem, although it takes to independent outputs for each SAM, in addition to the stop input contact.  Needless to say that adds a great deal of outputs to the unit.

Good luck on your project,

Johnc

Thanx ~ Jim and John ~ for your replies.  I continue to read and digest data from the forum and uCApps.de.  Being a newbie to both, navigating my way through the volumes of material is no weekend activity.  However, I can assemble until I need a break and then forage through the documentation and posts for more enlightenment.  I'm certain I will have future questions but promise to search the list a bit more thoroughly before posting them.  As in the case of MIDIO128 which Jim clarified ~ ~ I learned this AFTER I posted the dumb question and before Jim's instructive response. 

Hi, Jim,

Congratulations on your Oriental - Been looking at in my spec sheets/

I have its kid brother, a smaller version, the Artisan 3-manual "Imperial"

Strange StopTab arrangements differ from WurliTzer/Robert Morton, eh?

Please keep me appraised on your progress.

I'll contact further you off-list.

PK