Reimplementation

rasteri

How would the MIDIBox community view rewriting one of my MIDIbox-prototyped projects to have no actual MIDIBox code in it, and then selling it as a product? None of my current projects are anywhere close to that stage yet, but possibly with a lot of features and refinements they could be made into products, or kits, or something.

I realise there probably aren't any legal issues with this, but would it be considered acting in bad faith? I've had (and will hopefully continue to get) lots of help from the MIDIBox community both in this forum and the chat room, and I don't even wanna start planning to sell stuff if you guys would think I was just making cash off your advice.

Easy: we would re-implement your project, make it much better, publish the sources and allow everybody to sell the devices for a better price at EBay ;)

Don't know, if anybody would feel motivated to support somebody, who doesn't give something back to the community... there are enough forums, where you can discuss with professionals, so why do you search for help in an hobbyist forum, if you don't share the same spirit?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Is the project using midi-box modules? It's not just the code that's licensed.

Personally I think making money out of midibox is not on, whether it be through selling the kits that you've built or from knowledge that has been freely passed on to you from this site/forum is out of order. TK could be making quite a bit of money from Mdibox, even if he only charged people a few dollars for the use of his code/ideas. He doesn't, so why should anybody else?

If you've designed your own modules from scratch, without any help from people here (info, bulk orders, tutorials, etc) then It's your project so do as you wish and sell it.... Or alternatively, you could publish the plans here, get help/advice perfecting it and put it in to the midibox community (Like Seppoman did with the AOUT NG) and help this community grow.

Don't get me wrong - I would of course release plans, code, and schematics under the GPL/CC or similar, even if I were to write my own MIDI code.

BUT - I would also like to sell assembled units to people that cannot make their own, which I understand is forbidden under the MIOS license. Hence the need to rewrite. I don't share the philosophy that you should have to be an engineer to make use of this stuff.

I have other reasons - I want to design my own PCB with everything on one board, not the normal MBHP way of having multiple boards (Core, AIN, DIN...). This would need some parts of MIOS to be rewritten ANYWAY, since I won't be using shift registers, and I want to be able to use (for example) the LCD pins as switch inputs. (something I think MIOS should be able to do anyway BTW)

Anyway, I hope you guys interpret my motives as good. As I said before, the last thing I want is to piss off the people who have helped me so much.

If you would have mentioned this earlier, I'm sure that the discussion would have gone into a different direction. I think, that there is no need to continue the discussion (therefore the thread has been locked). Looking forward to get inspired by your creations, and I hope that one day you will share your experiences (regardless if good or bad ones) that you made during the re-implementation in this forum. :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.