The definitive MB-6582 PCB/kit thread

Wilba

EDIT: to SmashTV: might wanna check another shipper in the future.

I did some searches and it appears that USPS uses ABX always. I read very bad things about abx.

Might wanna try a shipper like FedEx or DHL or equivalent. Price will be a bit higher, but customs should be a lot faster and cheaper from what I read.

If people *dender cough*, complained about the cost of using USPS express, then could you imagine the amount of bitching about the cost of a courier service! He looked into their prices already but found them too expensive for the MB community.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: to SmashTV: might wanna check another shipper in the future.

I did some searches and it appears that USPS uses ABX always. I read very bad things about abx.

Might wanna try a shipper like FedEx or DHL or equivalent. Price will be a bit higher, but customs should be a lot faster and cheaper from what I read.

Let's look up some rate quotes for USPS, UPS, FedEx, and DHL.  I know it looks insane with the second to lowest cost service costing 3x the lowest cost, so please verify them yourself if you don't believe me.  I know all of the couriers offer lower rates for higher volume shipping, but after talking to sales reps from each of these companies I don't ship enough per month to qualify for discounts.

For this example I pulled quotes for both Belgium and Netherlands as the destination, and the price is the same for both countries with all couriers/service levels shown below.

Parcel specs:  1lb weight, 9x12x4 inch box, $150 USD declared value.

US to Belgium or Netherlands:

$30.50 - USPS Express

$98.96 - FedEx International Economy

$104.11 - FedEx International Priority

$104.41 - UPS Worldwide Expedited

$109.56 - UPS Worldwide Saver

$117.04 - DHL Worldwide Priority Express

Some quote details:

FedEx International Economy:

Base Rate - 77.45

Declared Value - .60

Fuel Surcharge - 20.91

Total:  $98.96

UPS Worldwide Expedited-zone 631:

Base Rate - 77.45 USD   

Signature Required - 4.25 USD   

Declared Value - 1.80 USD   

Fuel Surcharge - 20.91 USD   

Total:  104.41 USD

DHL Worldwide Priority Express:

Base Rate - 79.10

Deliver Duty Paid (DDP) - 15.00  (DHL pays customs and collects from addressee on delivery)

Fuel Surcharge - 22.94

Total:  $117.04

To be clear, I'll ship anywhere via any courier that is available to me (TNT is not available as an outgoing service here)......but the order has to be prepaid via a non-reversible transaction (Western Union or US postal money order written in USD). 

Anyone know of a reliable parcel service anywhere near the USPS price?  I'm all ears.

Best regards

SmashTV

thank you SmashTV for taking the time to clear this up!

i read about it but in everything i read there was no mention of the costs. didn't think it would be such a big differnce.

sorry if my question has offended you in any way, i totally didn't mean to do that.

and thanks again for the PCB's, they are lovely :)

then could you imagine the amount of bitching about the cost of a courier service!

the package got delivered in belgium by a courier service. ABX just did the customs part.

if i'm not mistaking it was "EMS/Taxipost", a courier service owned by the Belgian postal service.

They're a bunch of assholes too. It's a real shame how shitty our postal services are here.

(as I can tell from sending parcels with insurance in the past)

Let me add to that: If you don't then stfu.

no reason to get rude here.

the package got delivered in belgium by a courier service. ABX just did the customs part.

if i'm not mistaking it was "EMS/Taxipost", a courier service owned by the Belgian postal service.

They're a bunch of assholes too. It's a real shame how shitty our postal services are here.

(as I can tell from sending parcels with insurance in the past)

Ah! i didnt realise you meant just for your country, i thought you meant globally when i posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

i wont hear a bad word said against our smashy! the guy is a gent and he was extremely heklpful to me when i did my first order with him, i forgot to order a couple of parts so out of his own pocket he put them in for me free of charge. yes i had to wait in line like everyone else for the parcel to be sent but then thats life, he kept me updated and we even joked about it several times in the chat channel, but it was never an issue for me, and when it arrived i had to pay customs fees but i knew that and it wasnt an issue.

im due to place anotehr order with smash and once again i know i will have to wait a while, but then so be it, thats the way it is, hes bloody busy sorting this lot out all the time, and i know that when i buy it, he will ship it and i will get a tracking number for the parcel from the states and then in the uk.

i for one cannot commend smash highly enough for what he does for the guys on this forum.

a little gratitude to the guy goes a long way, hell a couple of bucks extra for some pizza and beers is even better!!

im buying on my next order!