GM5: Least-cost USB-MIDI Interface Chip for 4.50 EUR

TK.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've still 8 GM5 chips in stock from people who haven't paid yet (4 weeks after first notification, 1 week after deadline...)

So - this is your chance to get the remaining ones, the quantity doesn't matter - 1, 2, ... 8.

I've also more than 100 small PCBs in stock - let me know if you are interested as well (the rest will be sold during the next bulk order).

Just PM me the desired quantity - NOW! - first come, first serve!

SOLD OUT!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

question to all: did anybody already test the part under full load on all MIDI channels at the same time? If yes, did it work properly? I have currently an issue with this GM5 in a customer specific equipment, and under some strange circumstances it hangs up from time to time -- communication on USB and also sometimes on the MIDI ports stops. Only Power-Down/Up solves it.

Cheers,

Skunk

Hi Skunk,

question to all: did anybody already test the part under full load on all MIDI channels at the same time? If yes, did it work properly? I have currently an issue with this GM5 in a customer specific equipment, and under some strange circumstances it hangs up from time to time -- communication on USB and also sometimes on the MIDI ports stops. Only Power-Down/Up solves it.

which computer, which operating system, which driver, which HW variant?

I recently had similar issues on my Mac with one of my GM5 modules which is connected to a passive 4x1 USB hub. After some troubleshooting it turned out, that the power consumption on the hub was too high (e.g. a MBHP_CORE_STM32 module + a MBSEQ Frontpanel with backlit LCDs was connected as well).

I solved this by using an active hub with dedicated power supply.

The strange thing was: the MBHP_CORE_STM32 module was still working pretty stable - so it seems, that the Atmel chip is less tolerant against voltage drops, but I haven't checked this further (as I found a stable solution...)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

which computer?            an AMD motherboard with 2.4GHz Athlon (don't know the supplier)

which operating system?  WinXP SP2

which driver?                  Ploytek special, customer specific

which HW variant?          customer specific -- a special board connected via the

GM5 to the motherboard and a second USB-to-Audio

USB I/F with 480Mbit, also connected to the motherboard.

If the 480MBit line fails, the 12MBit USB-to-MIDI line also fails

sometimes

In the meantime we found one possible problem for the failure: groundbouncing. During the initialization of the USB controller on the motherboard, looking for devices, a groundbounce shuts the device recognition down (it looks like that, but this is not yet proven). There seems to be no means in the GM -- only reset.

Cheers,

Andreas

Hi Skunk,

Your manufacturer is probably Dell. I have exactly the same problem. But only with the AMD Athlon board (as well with the 3800+ as the 5400+), not with the Intel (Also Dell).

The USB freezes after intensive use. I think it's a heat problem, but have not looked more into it. Under normal use the USB is fine. Put it under load and it hangs.

If it is still possible to order, I would like 2 Chips with 2 PCB's.

Gioxannes.

I mean, search for MIDI-Interfaces at thomann for example and compare the prices.

...and compare it with the Blacklist

Most low-cost interfaces provided by Thomann are working unreliable.

Today you can buy an USB based Multi Purpose card reader for less than 5 EUR, but usable MIDI interfaces are still so expensive like 10 years before. However, seems that this is still a field where you can save money with DIY :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.