GM5: Least-cost USB-MIDI Interface Chip for 4.50 EUR

TK.

I could give the 2 pcbs i ordered away, (i dont have much use for them yet until mb sid is finished)

ill just have to hope that the expanded board bulk order  definitely happens!

I'd donate money gladly but im unemployed with no welfare almost 3 years now.  :-\

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a note on how to secure the USB connector on the 1st generation boards.

Simply scrape off the solder mask coating below the socket support pins, bend up a wide "U" as shown from some thick copper wire, (I used 1mm2 solid mains wiring cable core),  solder it between the support pins then flood the scraped area with solder. You may need a 20 Watt or better iron.

The first picture shows how it was done, the other is simply a picture of the top surface, with a picture of the world's simplest MIDI tester, a DIN Plug with an LED soldered in to it: thanks to Hinton Instruments MIDI pages for the tester and a few other tricks.

And now a special offer for those that are worried by soldering surface mount: As a donation to the missing chips fund, the best offer of at least 15 Euro, (to be sent to TK's Paypal account), gets this board, and the tester. Postage to be paid to me at cost. I'll close the offer on Sunday 19th October.

(Board is fully tested and working fine under XP, loop-back tested with MIDI-OX)

[edit] Offer still holds as a donation for development.

[2nd Edit] - no takers? OK I'll run with plan B then.....

3708_USB-support_jpg7791319bed0c0787bd6f

3710_top-view-with-test-plug_jpg4e41b399

3708_USB-support_jpg7791319bed0c0787bd6f

3710_top-view-with-test-plug_jpg4e41b399

Big news: Wilba got the package today!

And this was really unexpected at least from my side, especially because I sent a claim form to the german post for tracking back the delivery, and only got the answer that it arrived Australia. Wilba checked the delivery in an Australian post office and got no helpful answer at all. This was one month ago...

However, Wilba will forward the parts this week. :)

Now I have a new issue: I got a lot of donations to compensate a financial loss which doesn't exist anymore.

I just refunded the money, because I would feel guilty to use it for a different purpose, and it's free (no money loss for both sides) - if you want to support future development (e.g. for the new MBHP_CORE_STM32 module), just donate again :)

Donated PCBs: how about the possibility to get some free 5x5 boards instead? I would re-sell the PCBs, and send the money to Kartoshka/Nils instead. Ok from your side?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Big news: Wilba got the package today!

Great news :D

Donated PCBs: how about the possibility to get some free 5x5 boards instead? I would re-sell the PCBs, and send the money to Kartoshka/Nils instead. Ok from your side?

It is for me :-)

• 2 weeks later...

welcome aboard!

The Spambots will love you for writing your email-adress in a public forum  ;)

here are two links, just read them, everythings answered there.

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_usb_gm5.html

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/tk_gm5_bulkorder'>http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/tk_gm5_bulkorder (but you've already seen that)

for further questions regarding the Midibox Hardware Platform visit http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/ and use the "search" function of the forum.

regards

matthias

just received mine too! big thanks to TK and wilba :D

on another note... are us aussies still doing a group buy for the rest of the kit for these gm5's?

Me and Stryd were organising that, but i havent heard back from stryd for a while

***** Stryd, check your Messages*****

Ok, so Styrd is waiting for the next batch of GM5 chips before ordering parts.

So I will be doing the bulk buy, im going to buy some parts from Jaycar and other parts from Rockby to get the price a bit cheaper.

im gonna do some spreadsheeting and work out the final cost, it would be easier if people could pay directly into my bank account, but if i have to i can accept PayPal. and ill need everyone paid up before i can order.

Ill send out a PM to everyone on this page on the weekend and we can get things started.

cheers, Levon