GM5: Least-cost USB-MIDI Interface Chip for 4.50 EUR

TK.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As mentioned above, I've ordered 100 Mini-PCBs, although only 76 have been requested yet - means: there will be some spares!

The Mini-PCB is the best solution if you are planning to integrate an USB interface into a PIC based MIDIbox, resp. if you want to upgrade a device which doesn't natively support USB-MIDI:

mbhp_usb_gm5_v1_1.jpg

A GM5x5x5 is nice-to-have if you want to connect multiple synths to a single interface with common MIDI cables, please consider that this means that you also need two MIDI cables per device for bidirectional communication.

With a Mini-USB (integrated into the device) you would only need one USB cable connected to the device (just leave out the DIN sockets and directly solder the "MIDI pins" together) - and you could optionally use USB as power supply in some cases (not for MBSID, not for MBFM since the power supply has to deliver more than 5V)

It's also possible to control up to 5 MIDI devices through a Mini PCB if the digital IOs (at TTL level) are directly connected to J6!

So, I hope that the remaining Mini PCBs are sold as well, otherwise I've to increase the price of the PCBs to compensate the money loss.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

As for the gm5x5x5, I'd obviously volunteer to do another run if there's enough people on the list. I am fairly sure a lot of the people on the list already have boards, but if there's demand I can contact them and see how many are still interested.

nILS

As for the gm5x5x5, I'd obviously volunteer to do another run if there's enough people on the list. I am fairly sure a lot of the people on the list already have boards, but if there's demand I can contact them and see how many are still interested.

nILS

I already built some GM5x5x5 and am in the list.

I am in the list because I want build some other GM5x5x5.

:D

obviously I am still interested

But I desire yellow PCBs :rofl:

cheers

Antix

I definately think there is demand. I advertised the goodness that springs from the GM5 IC around at Mutable Instruments, and this is what filled the list with takers. Others, like Altitude testified to the fact that the interface is really good, stable and fast. I have some extra GM5x5x5 PCBs, but that's why I ordered more ICs than boards this time around. It shouldn't be a problem to sell both the mini-PCBs for Shruthis, Ambikas, and other DIY synths and such as well as shifting the 30 odd existing 5x5x5 PCBs and more flowers.png

Cheers,

Reckless youth in Stockholm

nILS

Isn't this wiki page taken into account? http://www.midibox.o...k_gm5_bulkorder ?

In case it does, It seems that the numbers are achieved, right? And what about the pcbs, are there minimuns that I am not finding now?

If it's OK, let's go for it! I'm in.

Cheers,

Joao

Edited by Ripper

I'll just throw in my comment too:

@ T.K: Awesome that u came through on this one also! If u have (after the party is over) extra mini PCBs u can't get rid of, I'll definetly take a couple of your hands. (but more important that "fresh" gm5 users get em if needed!

@ Jojjelito: Good job "lobbying" this through so fast :)

@ Nils - yeah I definetly think there's room for another order of your PCBs - they are great and except from the gm5 itself, everyone with a soldering iron can with ease build this! Awesome!

And -> I have ordered 6 chips and 4 nils-boards - If I keep em all to myself I have 6 boards and 8 chips in total. I really don't need that many I/Os :). I signed up for those numbers becasue I wanted to make this happen, not just for me, but for everyone else. Let's just put it this way - I will never have the use for 30 midi I/Os myself.

To make it interesting (if the admins will let me and don't think it's a stupid idea - please tell me so in that case):

Background is that I got a very good deal on my first two gm5x5x5 boards myself back when I bought em. Since I have now signed up for more than I needed, I will be responsible and share around myself as I ones was "shared with". MIDIBox community is "gold" and a lot of people have fun here, and learn a lot of stuff - I have learnt a lot myself -> I would like to "invest" something back in the community. What I would like is to set up a competition of some kind where the price is 2x GM5x5x5 PCB including the chip. Maybe one winner or two, don't know yet :). Have no idea what kinda compo either yet.

Let's be clear. My proposal aint to gain cred, fame, friends, nothing like that. It's just a funny way of "investing" in the people of this community - ultimately providing a platform for people to learn more about midibox and electronics. The only catch is that I need the winner(s) to pay for the shipping, but that should be affordable for about anyone I gather... I'm no richie rich, just a normal person with family and too many midi interfaces hehe, so I thought it would be funny to stir it up a little bit with this thing ;).

T.K. (or anyone else) if u think this is out of line, please just tell me, and I'll put it to sleep at once hehe, but I thought it would be fun to do so! :) I know there's no history of give-away competition on midibox forum, so my appologies for not asking admins privatly before posting this.

Edited by technobreath

great idea technobreath (but i'm no admin)...

maybe you could offer it as price for the best Schaeffer/FPE 19" 1U panel layout for 2 instances of the GM5x5x5, all in/outs on the back, on the front the usb,leds and maybe 1 or 2 pairs of midi jacks on the froont too for easy access on the fly, switchable!

haha that's not at all selfish :rolleyes:

the contest thing would be a great thing for beginners i think.

great idea technobreath (but i'm no admin)...

maybe you could offer it as price for the best Schaeffer/FPE 19" 1U panel layout for 2 instances of the GM5x5x5, all in/outs on the back, on the front the usb,leds and maybe 1 or 2 pairs of midi jacks on the froont too for easy access on the fly, switchable!

haha that's not at all selfish :rolleyes:

the contest thing would be a great thing for beginners i think.

Would make more sense if one or two pairs of midi connections were on the front, and usb on the back, this would allow you to run your usb cable out of the way (at the back), and still be flexible enough to allow you to test your newest midibox creation/diy/whatever thing that uses midi without having to crawl around the back of your studio for a midi connection :)

true! you can leave the usb cable plugged on the backside (for example to connect a laptop). if there's a dedicated pc it can stay connected anyways.

seems like i need one more gm5x5x5 board then. so i could have just not edited my entry to the list :rolleyes:

edit to add: sure, if there are spare mini pcbs i'll help to get rid of them too.

Edited by rosch