TK.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sounds good :-D

Is it possible to merge two USB-Port for a 10x10 MIDI Interface?

I imagine you could use a cheap USB hub to do that.

edit- P.S. With 5 midi banks per USB chip, and 16 midi channels per midi bank, you are talking about 2 x 5 x 16 = 160 midi channels, right? Do you actually have so many midi devices? I think 5x16 is already many more than I can use, for one PC midi interface.

Yes, an USB hub will help

The advantage of seperate IOs: higher bandwidth (as MIDI events can be sent out in parallel to multiple MIDI outs), and you don't need to merge the inputs, resp. chain the IOs

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Yes i have many MIDI-Devices in my Studio ;-) And i will set my MIDI-Configuration that i CAN (when i will) use all MIDI-Channels of my Synths when i will use without a collision to another Device or switch the MIDI-Cables or Channels.

A USB Hub was Ok, when i can compile it in the Box. I will 1 USB connector for the full setup. Ok, so or so, i am happy with this :-)

Hah! I have been browsing USB-Midi cables and different USB and Firewire preamps for a few days now. Should have midi up, because I am about to fire up my V2 for the first time. But in the meanwhile I noticed that the not so ancient Soundblaster Extigy doesn't work in Vista - and it had my only midi-ports!!!

This is more than luck! I placed 4/4 order.

Many thanks for diggin' up this stuff for us Thorsten!!

Nestle

I just noticed the PCB's are available on the wiki page now too. I was not the only one with a question mark next to my name there, so if you added your name for chips, but not PCB's you might want to get on that!

</friendly reminder>

My hesitation is intentional: I want to see what I get first - then I will decide if it is what I need, or whether I am better off doing my own board. As far as I remember, we only started to collect opinions on what type of board would actually be practical for most users? I'd happily go with the generic adapter solution suggested by nILS elsewhere, or even with a board that contained only headers (but no actual MIDI or USB sockets), but I don't know if that is what everybody else needs/wants!?

Best regards, ilmenator

with this USB -interface added, do I need separate midi -addon if I want to use midi too or like to use both midi and USB at the same time? I have intentions to put internal USB -connection to my midibox SID and solder it directly to core module. So, do I add another midiout/in for midi connections?

Thanks,

Nestle

nestle: With this usb interface you could wire it up to the midi ports of your sid (as you are just replacing the midi cables and connectors with soldered wires) , although i think that its kind of a waste. :P If you wanted you sid to still be able to connect midi also i think (correct me if i'm wrong guys) your only other option would be to get and i2c midi interface to connect you to the core. http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_iic_midi.html Have a look at that it should help you along. peace

No, MBHP_IIC_MIDI is no option, as this module is not supported by the firmware.

It is possible to connect the USB IOs directly to the core module (Port J11), but for a synth this isn't recommented, as this will result into a ground loop between the Audio and USB lines. Instead, I would isolate the MIDI INs with optocouplers, and don't connect the grounds together - as usual

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thorsten-

Have you gotten a chance to mess with any of the chips yet (or received them for that matter)?

-- Not in any hurry, just excited about the concept like others here probably are, and hoping you haven't hit any major bumps.  :)

George

Yes, it works great! I'm using it on a Mac since more than one week (e.g. while creating the MBSID Bassline Demo) and haven't noticed any failure :)

The Windows driver is not ready yet, therefore I haven't got the chance to check, if it works better than the Microsoft Driver.

Another good news: Ploytec offered the possibility to layout our own PCB, Nils is working on it. :)

The PCB should have the same size like the original Ploytec evaluation board, otherwise we would have to pay more money for additional area - therefore the focus is to make it more DIY friendly (e.g. replacing SMD resistor/caps by through-hole parts)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

... would you have been asking thins question too, if your order would be in the second part of the 250?  ;)

that's a good point  ;D

...I was just wondering a bit how long it'll take until this groupbuy is closed.

I don't want to be pushy in any kind! I don't want to hurry!

I just want to know if I should already build a case for my MIDI/USB-interface or wait some time.

btw: I've bought a cheap 4x-USB-Hub at RadioShack (6$).

now i'm thinking about why I should build a MIDI-USB-Interface with 20 I/Os  :P