help with sampler

drumwide

i want to create a drum sampler. is there any way to interface a hard drive or flash type memory to the core to be triggered by the dout lines. volume would be controlled via the velocity portion of the midi code at the dac.

i want to create a drum sampler. is there any way to interface a hard drive or flash type memory to the core to be triggered by the dout lines. volume would be controlled via the velocity portion of the midi code at the dac.

I've done a very crude sampler of sorts, using a PIC. It was actually for voice annunciation on a radio coms system. I did mine with a MSSP of the 18F4520, connected to a 1 Meg flash chip. For my design, the audio quality was not an issue, so I just used a filtered PWM output to reproduce the sound. The same thing could be done with a cheap 16 bit audio DAC.

Having said this, I would have to agree with stryd_one. Software sampling, or second hand hardware samplers will offer a much more rewarding result.

I would say the difficult part of doing a DIY sampler is not so much the sample storage, reproduction, or midi event triggering, but in providing a convenient interface. Cheap hardware samplers can have reasonable audio manipulation/effects on board, and some have really good filters as well.

This kind of project would probably be a pretty satisfying hobby project, but would not be likely to give as good a result as a commercial solution. So, I guess it depends on what you want. Personally, I would probably put the effort into a weekend job, and buy something good on ebay. If I were to make a sampler, I would probably look at different hardware, such as a DSP Spartan, or a more fully featured microprocessor, with external Alesis audio DSPs.

Hope that's not too disparaging.

Regards,

madox

I'd build a few channels of DIY sampling IF it were true to the compansion scheme and SR/Bit depth of the Linn drum or LM-1, or perhaps Oberheim samplers (but could sample, not just play back. Being able to trigger them via a CORE gate set would be nice, and especially to have that edgy, full-bodied timber, that nothing modern can touch.

I don't remember which ones provide a "start" trigger input...

It's not just "8-bit". It's =that= 8-bit. The Linn etc. are companded, as are the early MPCs. It sounds better than straight 8-bit.

I suppose the answer to this question is to simply purchase an MPC, as it can fire multiple voices on the grid (no MIDI timing evil, there).

It's not just "8-bit". It's =that= 8-bit. The Linn etc. are companded, as are the early MPCs. It sounds better than straight 8-bit.

Then build a compander, and play your 8b samples through it.

I suppose the answer to this question is to simply purchase an MPC

Not really... Just clone/copy/emulate the output stages. Then you can have =that= sound from all your gear ;)

Then build a compander, and play your 8b samples through it.

Not really... Just clone/copy/emulate the output stages. Then you can have =that= sound from all your gear ;)

I was hoping that someone might have schemos or links to the originals. Can't build without those...or perhaps if someone has already offered this in a hardware solution, a link...looks like something that one would indeed have to build one's self...the MPC 60 doesn't sound as good as the original two Linns. Depending upon your needs; the early ones had little rolloff and were bright. The early 9000 and MPC had lots of rolloff and mix quite easily as a result (plenty of room for vocal siblance, filter sweeps, etc.)