Totally lost

indeep

Take it easy indeep. Take a chill pill. Or two.

I tough this was a community to help people who wants to build there own machines, not experts, but regular people with no hardware and programing skills.

Exactly.

From what i can see you guys are all experts and im the one regular here.

The people who answer your question obviously do have to have a bit more knowledge than you, otherwise they couldn't help, right?

In a forum i think in my opinion the basic function its to share information and not hide behind some misinformation only because you spent hours finding that same information.

No idea what you are trying to say, but noone "hides behide misinformation" in this thread.

"if the guy who invented the wheel didn't share its info on how its done, we would all be carrying rocks by hand"

True. But it simply does not apply here.

so im just sad that people here prefer to keep the knowledge to themselves.

Who is doing anything like that? Noone is.

all im asking its a simple help

Well the answer might not be as simple as the question. And it might involve reading. Maybe even a lot of it. That's why you were already linked to something regarding your question.

no one needs for others to present us with some more just to feel superior

Dude. Chill pill.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indeep: perhaps before you complain about the lack of instruction provided to you, you should earn the right to complain about it, by writing some documentation of your own. Until then, I suggest that you take a more friendly, and more DIY approach to the community.

ok.

I have just edit the din pinout table because it seems to me its hard to find pins in the asm file and then figure it out were they are physically .

As for asm editing, i just edit my asm file too and i can upload it somewere if someone needs it.

mbseqv3dinpinno0.jpg

w720.png

i hope this is ok, i mean i think i figure it out :)

Heres the pdf (better resolution)

http://www.fileshost.com/en/file/71422/mbseq-v3-din-pin-pdf.html

If you want TK you can update the original mbseq_v3_din.pdf with this one since the older one does not include the optional buttons or the SR# Pin# numbers

p.s im not posting this because of this

ou should earn the right to complain about it, by writing some documentation of your own

It's a nice idea to add the pin numbers directly to the schematic.

But could you please do this on the original .ps files? Otherwise your changes will get lost whenever I'm adding updates by myself.

Original location: http://svnmios.midibox.org/listing.php?repname=svn.mios&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fschematics%2Fmidibox_seq%2F

The .ps files have to be edited with xcircuit - the program is available for windows/mac/linux

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: the pin numeration you are using is wrong, the correct one: 1.0 - 1.7 corresponds to first shift register, pin D0..D7

2.0 - 2.7 corresponds to second shift register, D0..D7

etc

It seems that you counted Vs/Vd (Ground, +5V) as digital inputs

I guess that it would be better to improve the descriptions in the setup_*.asm files?

But how?

.. just a little thought a bit off-topic

it could be an idea to "embed" detailed information inside the code s source files, that would make for a nice walk through inside the code itself, thus inviting people to explore the text based MIOS adventure.

Coding IS frightening when you re completely new to it, I promise.

Simone

In my opinion the SEQ needs a good walktrought, a step by step tutorial with some advance features like assigning buttons and knobs to new functions.

The wiki as a lot of info, but also its kind of disperse information.

The midibox as a good one, and i think its possible to do another to SEQ.

As xcircuit its doesnt compile well on mac, im going to have a friend here tomorow with a pc so i could update and change the errors there.

it could be an idea to "embed" detailed information inside the code s source files, that would make for a nice walk through inside the code itself, thus inviting people to explore the text based MIOS adventure.

Cimo: but this is what I'm doing to ensure consistency in the detailed documentation!

(and thats the reason why I normaly ommit to create additional docs)

I'm asking for a better description, because as a programmer I'm blind - I don't know why this description which already exists in the setup_*.asm file causes such misunderstandings as you can see in the schematic enhancement created by indeep.

From http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fsequencers%2Fmidibox_seq_v3%2Fsetup_mbseq_v3.asm

; ==========================================================================
;  In this table all button functions are mapped to the DIN pins
;
;  The function name can be found on the left, the shift register and pin
;  number on the right side.
;
;  SR/pin numbers:
;     SR =  1 for the first DIN shift register
;     SR =  2 for the second DIN shift register
;     ...
;     SR = 16 for the last DIN shift register
;     ...
;     SR = 17 for the first DIN shift register of optional "misc. button matrix"
;     ...
;     SR = 24 for the last DIN shift register of optional "misc. button matrix"
;
;     Pin = 0 for the D0 input pin of the shift register
;     Pin = 1 for the D1 input pin of the shift register
;     ...
;     Pin = 7 for the last input pin (D7) of the shift register
;
;  Set the SR and pin number to 0 if a button function should not be used
;
;  The table must end with DIN_ENTRY_EOT!
; ==========================================================================
[/code]

So - where is the error?

Which detail is missing?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The wiki as a lot of info, but also its kind of disperse information.

Exactly, the stuff is all "out there"...somwhere....it takes forever to find it all.

You might have already seen This thread Feel free to start the massive copy and paste operation.

It can be graphical information.

Showing for example what is a Shift register in the Din module and how we can use them.

The asm setup file  its good but for the ones who dont have skills in coding its hard to understand.

You should learn all that from google before you start. The asm comments are no place for such a tutorial.

TK, I think the comments in the ASM files are already fairly descriptive. Any further info should be obtained from a true documentation source like the wiki or ucapps.de in my own opinion. Otherwise there will be a small novel in every asm file...

Im missing something ?

if you want to use the sequenzer 2 Layout then not...

but as far as i know, the Sequenzer 3 comes with at least 8 more buttons

and also more leds

one is for switching the display between 16/32 Stepview, some other buttons

for easier track access, dec / inc buttons and so on

i was counting the right way..only the pic was upside-down ::) (im i dumb or what) lol

Thx again.

Back to work

thanks for this one, you just mede me laugh loud, just great  :D

indeepseqv3id5.th.jpg

here ist an other one...

i bet its more digital rather than analog

you are such a funny guy, i realy apreciate it

i realy had a lots of fun reading this topic  :D

I have made another one (but still in pdf format)

I have changed the errors and also some more info (i just folow Tanstaafl layout, by the way Tanstaafl great idea of directing the buttons to the DIN).

So if this information is correct i might do the .ps this weekend.

http://www.fileshost.com/en/file/71602/mbseq-v3-din-optional-pdf.html

P.S tongenerator ????? ????? ?????

i realy had a lots of fun reading this topic

Great !!

TK, I think the comments in the ASM files are already fairly descriptive. Any further info should be obtained from a true documentation source like the wiki or ucapps.de in my own opinion. Otherwise there will be a small novel in every asm file...

I agree, but I have had a programming class and a  microproccessor class and even thought it was motorala HC11, I may be blinded by my understanding...

eventually I will have all of the Din's and Dout's connected... but they will have to be separate drawings... unless I can do it in flash or something to get all the layers.... like I said, a work in progress.  The original is done with photoshop so I have layers to work with.

p.s.  I have not taken the test, but I don't believe fish drink.  Respiration / osmosis? might take care of the h2o requirement?

gb

Today i have started to test the core and the lcds, it seems the core its ok everything is working as it should be.

I have tested with the mios application and the core is working, sending and receiving midi.

So i unplugged everything and i connected the lcds for testing, and i got this 26112008225re4.th.jpg in both of the displays 26112008227mx3.th.jpg.

I have checked both my lcds looking for wrong connections or loose wires, but i have found nothing, i have bought this lcds TEG16610 http://www.411techsystems.com/Ebay/Specs/TEG16610.pdf and acording to the pdf of my lcds and this schem of uccaps http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_2xclcd.pdf all my connections are good.

I have made a screenshot of the mios app sending messages to the lcds

snapshot20081126215833dc2.th.jpg but i cant get any feedback from the lcds.

hello,

i had the same problems. it worked out, that i had a short somewhere next to J15.

If you are sure that Mios is running, you schould recieve one Sysex String in the Mios Studio

Midi Recieve Windows when switching on the Core. Try to install any application and have a look...

It schould not matter, all displays are compatible. it is either a short or wrong wiring, or the mios

installation did not work which could be because of a short or wrong wiring.

you should make a break and try again later...

disconnect everything, and make sure that mios and apllications are running properly, then try again

with the display. maybe first it is easier to try only one display and then later try with both displays...

- disconnect everything (display and everything exept of core)

- mios studio

- upload (wait for request...)

- switch on core

- the upload should start

- after upload completed, the core reboots automatically and sends only one string

- clear the midi recieve screen so its blank, and try once to switch off and on the core if the core sends one string its good

- applications can now be installed at any state after core has booted, you can try... go ans install just right away the proper application you want, i guess sequenzer?

- the core will again rebbot and only send one string, if not or it starts again sending messages every 2 sec. there ist something wrong

- if you see everything to be working correct, try again to connect the display, first try only one its easier to see...

- also you might can doublecheck for shorts somewhere around the Port

as mentioned i had the same problem, and it driven me crazy, because i did not knew what it was. the core semmed to

be right, but then also not, sometime it send strings sometimes not.. what ever.. and the display was as yours.

i have checked everything, but then at the very end i have unsoldered everything around the J15, clened it and messured

for shorts... Next day i tried once again, and it worked...

here is my thread:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=d3ab4805213dd1e97135d5f96e175a04&topic=12365.0

Thankx for the support tongenerator.

I have found the problem, it was a broken wire inside the insulation running from the core to one of the lcds (problem solved).

So i was trying to test the buttons and upload the srio_interconnection_test_v1b, all went well for a couple of minutes then i try ti upload again the seq_v3 app and something strange as occurred, my midi in and out gone.

So i try to reconnected again see if i can get that first feedback from the core and nothing.

So far i tried to upload apps without the feedback (nothing)

re-soldered the cables in MIDI IN and OUT (nothing)

Take out the the both pics lcds and dins (nothing)

Still the pic is running and as the srio_interconnection_test_v1b application there but i cant upload any other because i aint got no MIDI.

Is there a way to solve this ? (i dont have a pic burner)

Problem solved.

It was strange i let it cool down for some hours and  after that everything went to normal again.

I still dont know what the problem was.

Hey Tanstaafl looking great that design.

Its more fun that way (pdf style) if beginning a new seq, make a print and thats it all stuff in one single page.