New User Needs Help Converting Hammond Bass Pedals To MIDI

garyde

Hi,

I am new to this forum and this is my first posting. I am not sure what each of the MIDIBOX boards do, and would like your suggestions on what I need to order.

I have a 13 Bass Pedal set which was removed from a Hammond Spinet organ. The only "electronics" that came with the pedals, was the set of leaf spring like switches for each pedal. From what I read MIDIBOX is a modular sytem and I need some type of encoder board, and then a CPU board that processes the data.

So what boards should I order??  I only have dial up internet so viewing most DIY videos is out of the question unless they are very small. I can handle soldering the various parts together, but I don't have any programming tools for PIC etc.

All I'm looking to do is wire the pedals to the MIDIbox and its boards, and end up with a standard 5 PIN DIN MIDI out that I can plug into a sound module.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks. gary kg4jpp

• Like 3

Welcome aboard man! Don't fear your bandwidth quota, the stuff you need is all in text, on ucapps.de and the wiki (linked above) and these forums. Use the search, and you'll find out all about it!

A handy search keyword for you: midification 

Good luck!

You need a Core Board to handle all the processing chores. You should have an LCD display so you can see what the Core is doing. You need 1 DIN Board to make the connection to the switches on the pedalboard. You will use the MIDIIO128 Project for the software that controls the hardware. There is a lot of information to digest so just take it at a comfortable pace.

The MidiBox may be overkill for MIDIfying 13 bass pedals. I believe there are more specialized boards that are limited to a small number of inputs that can do the job. It might be easier to use one of them. However, I am a dyed in the wool MidiBoxer and I don't know much about these other solutions beyond knowing they exist. You might want to sign up for the Forum at www.virtualorgan.com and look through the messages in the MIDI Electronics area. That site is devoted to virtual theatre organs. Even if you aren't interested in theatre organs the folks over there have a wealth of experience in the area of MIDIfying organ consoles.

Hi Garyde,

Go with a Midbox64 basic set up; 1 Core kit, 1 DIN kit, 4 small momentary push buttons, 7 - 10 & 1 - 16 pin ribbon connectors, ribbon cable and an LCD screen. It will get you started, it's easy to edit and it's easily expanded if you want some buttons for more functions and leds etc. The Midibox is super reliable.

The alternative ones, including the one you mentioned, are not very good, I have tried them all, from Hungary, Poland, USA and more, they're dissapointing and limited.

It seems complicated at first, but stick with it and you'll be happy in the end that you're not stuck with a situation that you can't change or improve anything.

Everyone here is amazing and helpful.

good luck

bassman

• 5 years later...

Agreed Midibox is overkill. I recently saw a set of midi pedals made from one of those roll up keyboard thingies, you find in games section of stores. Some of them come with midi. It only transmitted on Ch1. Just figure out how to hook the switches to the pedals and you're done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-49-Keys-Roll-Up-Piano-Keyboard-Used-/300946937176?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item4611d5d558

George