MB-6582 Panels and chr0n1c's linux controlled cnc mill

frailn

I've started this topic to explore the possibility of using the services of chr0n1c's homebrew linux controlled CNC mill to create panels for the highly popular and ever so elegant MB-6582 variant of the MIDIbox SID designed and built by Wilba. It seems a worthy goal considering the expense of having panels created by Front Panel Express. Also, I'm intrigued by the nature of the challenge - working within the limitations of chr0n1c's mill and Wilba's design. This challenge follows the spirit of DIY (to a certain degree) and gives me a chance to offer something useful to the community other than posting photos of deep fried pigeons! But, most importantly IT'S A HOMEBREW LINUX CONTROLLED CNC MILL. HOW COOL IS THAT?

The Challenge:

chr0n1c's homebrew linux controlled CNC mill can produce panels, but is limited to a range of 3.8" x 10" (inches - in the king's measurements which we sadly still use here in America) or 96.52 mm x 254 mm.

The MB-6582 front panel (control surface) is a bit out of range - Width 232.41mm Height 163.3mm

But the rear panel looks promising - Width 217.93mm Height 52.6mm

In order to overcome the limitations of the CNC, chr0n1c offered this suggestion:

...while i was looking at the files in Front Panel Express, i had an idea, where the red lines are could each be different sections with 1 hole in each corner mounted to some sort of thin frame with rivets or small screws.  if it was done this way i could engrave almost anything on them as well as cnc the cutouts. no silkscreen step, just fill the engravings with paint.

Great idea! Since Wilba's design does not use screws through the control surface panel, but instead uses JB-Weld mounted threaded spacers, there is a possibility of breaking up the panel into sections without the need of the thin frame. It's just a matter of studying Wilba's control panel PCB in relation to the location of the threaded spacers and in relation to the location of the lines on the front of the control panel.

I'll be reviewing Wilba's specs over the next few days, when I get time away from work and the wife's honey-do list and see if there is a workable solution. I have a PAC-10 case sitting on the shelf to use for reference, so I may post photos of it with mark-up as I work through this. Comments, corrections, criticism, advice all welcome as I explore this with chr0n1c and other interested MIDIboxers.

I like the idea of the panelised panel... You guys are too new to know that my panel designs are all based on the F16 control panels (block 25/30/32 if you're curious) and they're done like that. I think it's groovy but it won't be everyone's cup of tea (especially if it's like the knobs in that thing!)

As for the wilbasid though... well it might take some trickery. there's not a lot of space internally and you cant build it out externally because you wont have the right clearance for the components. That'd be the first hurdle I think.

FYI, changed the two tags:  'MB-6582' and 'panels' to 'mb6582' and 'panel' ... that's a typo (with caps) and a plural. Now they link to stuff :)

thanks for starting the new thread, frailin.

my actual cutting envelope is a bit bigger, a few thousandths shy of 4 inches.  the front i think i can do in only two sections joined exactly in the middle or just flip it on the table.  i'll have to get the mm's in the documentation to inches and check clearances on my machine in depth.  the back panel would be doable in one go.  now the question is... would i be cutting the boxer's panel or cutting my own from materials i'd provide.  does the case for it come with a set of blank panels?

stryd_one: that f16 pic was tiny but i like the idea the you used it for a model.

i got my pcb blanks yesterday and i'm tooling up right now to build a pcboard for the function generator (xr2206 ic) and get that working first so i'll have something to hook my core up to which will be cnc milled pcb project #2.  so my midibox core is coming soon to a forum near you.

would i be cutting the boxer's panel or cutting my own from materials i'd provide.  does the case for it come with a set of blank panels?

It comes with panels but it's probably cheaper to get your own stock than to ship them back and forth...

stryd_one: that f16 pic was tiny but i like the idea the you used it for a model.

Try these ;)

http://uscockpits.com/Jet%20Fighters/F-16C%20Block%2030_2.JPG

http://uscockpits.com/Jet%20Fighters/F-16C%20Block%2030.JPG

http://blogfile.paran.com/BLOG_51114/200510/1130299027_cockpit07.jpg

http://uscockpits.com/Jet%20Fighters/F-16C%20Block%2025.JPG

http://www.habu2.net/vipers/viperpits/block25.30.front.jpg

Finding good info on these things is tricky cause they're still in service...

my actual cutting envelope is a bit bigger, a few thousandths shy of 4 inches.  the front i think i can do in only two sections joined exactly in the middle or just flip it on the table.

Thanks, chr0n1c. I will hold off on trying to redevelop Wilba's panel into sections until I hear from you on flipping the panel to do both sides. The PacTec PT-10 case does come with panels, but I would prefer to start with new panel stock. The control surface panel that comes with this case has holes in the corners, and Wilba's design eliminates those holes. Let me know if you cannot get local stock for panels, we can figure something out.

The control surface panel that comes with this case has holes in the corners, and Wilba's design eliminates those holes.

And how are you going to screw the panel to the enclosure if you eliminate the holes for the screws?

• 1 month later...
Someone was tooling up to do some garage silk-screening to redo the messy job that was done with the first round of panels.  Who was that and how are things going?

That was me.  Things are going as they always do in MIDIbox land...  ;D

I'm finishing panels and cases and shipping out E-Switches for the MB-808, I've ordered more switches and potentiometers for the next batch, I've ordered Alps motor faders for the group buy and I've got samples of the PA397 on the way...

The MB-6582 panels are next!

ok, so like my machine MIGHT do the panel, i have yet to cut a pc of cardboard with the right dimensions and play with the machine (my z axis is apart right now awaiting a new motor coupler. )  all things considered it would be best if i don't attempt a whole panel on this machine.  i can however drill holes and mill cutouts for people if they don't have the tools.   as for me arranging a big load of panels done with a laser or something that might be possible since there is a few laser cutting shops very close to me (at least 3 within 10 miles, maybe more like 6)  and i actually have parts laser cut all the time for work and even designed a few parts myself that went straight from my CAD file (dxf) to the laser machine at the cutters!  i get a kick out of that everytime a part comes back ;) 

just a thought, sometimes laser cutting is fast and cheap... sometimes it is fast and expensive.

think modular synths if you want panels out of my baby cnc mill for DIY labor prices ;)  when i get the Z axis back together i'll cut a sample modular sort of panel and post pics.

Regarding the use of JB-Weld -- When Altitude redid my panels (the silkscreeners still couldn't get it right), he drilled the corners for me and tossed in some nifty knurled allen screws.  He and I found that if only the corners are drilled, then positioning the standoffs becomes MUCH easier.