Optimized PSU Question for the Schematically Challenged

Filch

So I've started the process of building the optimized PSU from a recycled C64. And by started I mean I've pulled the parts from the old board. I'm now trying to build the new board with the help of the schematic provided in the wiki. I'm having a hell of a time making sense of it. Luckily a user posted a quick how-to process :

http://www.danielprice.org.uk/synth-diy/sid_2.htm

This has been very helpful, but my trouble really lies in getting the right parts. I'm not sure how some of these parts read.  Like specifically, the Bridge Rectifier is listed as an B40C800.  Now I don't know what the means exactly, but I've done searches on that part and have had a hell of a time locating one. Mouser shows they have it, but you have to purchase 2000. How do I go about finding equivalent parts, b/c I'm not sure how B40C800 is translated into specs, or what specs need to be spot on.  Jameco brings up a part when I do a search on B40C800, but the specs throw me.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=178132

I guess that's the only one I'm really having trouble with. I found 7809 regulators pretty easily, and the rest of the parts are caps and resistors, nothing crazy.  So I guess I'm just having trouble with finding a proper bridge rectifier.

I'm taking a shot in the dark since I'm new to this project. But, I did notice that SmashTV's CORE KIT contains a bridge rectifier. Follow this link and place your mouse over the black circle at the top left of the graphic. I think if you order Smash's CORE KIT you will get the parts you need.

http://www.avishowtech.com/mbhp/mbhp_coreR4d.html

Someone correct me if I'm wrong....

I do have a core kit, 2 actually.  I really only need one. I've built one and the other is still in the bag. Isn't the PSU separate from the core module. I'm going to need that rectifier if I want to use that core later on. Are they one in the same, the one on the PSU and the Core?  If that's the case, SmashTV says the mouser part is 625-W08G, it's reverse voltage is 800V, while the part listed in the Optimized PSU schematic says B40C800, which according to mouser, has a 65 reverse Voltage.  Or should I only be concerned with Forward voltage, which is 1V for both....

This thread should answer some questions, i was clueless myself:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,10388.0.html

You need both rectifiers im pretty sure.

The reverse voltage is the max amount it can handle asfaik, so 800v is safer.

But since we're dealing with a voltage of 12v max, a 100v rating should be adequete.

Just make sure the Average Rectified Output current is at least 0.8a, a higher one would be better, and the Recommended Input Voltage is at least 40V.

you know what the first search for "bridge rectifier" is?  ;)

Yah yah.... I wouldn't have thought there was a specific question on the bridge rectifier for the PSU. Sue Me  ;D

Thanks for all the help, off to build my PSU.  I will be back though when it's time to wire it up to the cores/sid

Well if you tried *one* search and gave up, then you didn't try hard enough!

Why search for "bridge rectifier" ? Is there some other kind of rectifier you are trying to avoid? Just search for rectifier. Using quotes is also worse because it can limit the results unnecessarily.

Did you try searching the forum for the part number?

Luckily a user posted a quick how-to process :

http://www.danielprice.org.uk/synth-diy/sid_2.htm

That was me  ;)

This has been very helpful

Thanks!

Just to re-iterate the message on the page, make sure you look at the pin assignment of your Bridge Rectifier very carefully before using that layout - the one I used when I made my PSU apparently has a different design to most. Nothing to worry about, but just make sure the correct wires go to the right terminals on the chip.

That's why you should search instead of assuming!

Wow. Take a search ribbing with a little joking back talk and you get reamed....

I use forum searches all the time on MANY forums of all different types. I had to have read at least 3 dozen messages trying to find this info. I missed this one. I'm a bad bad forum user. Please forgive me. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and getting me on track. I'll be sure to exhaust multiple search ideas before posting again.

I'll be sure to exhaust multiple search ideas before posting again.

Lol, i dont find typing a few keywords, and clicing a button that "exhausting".

The main members of this forum are extremely busy contributing to the community, it sorta takes over their lifes,

they cant be spoonfeeding people all the time, so its good practice to search the info first, otherwise people just get lazy and demanding.  ;)

Lol, i dont find typing a few keywords, and clicing a button that "exhausting".

The main members of this forum are extremely busy contributing to the community, it sorta takes over their lifes,

they cant be spoonfeeding people all the time, so its good practice to search the info first, otherwise people just get lazy and demanding.  ;)

I think you misunderstand my use of exhaust :)

I honestly didn't feel like I was asking to be spoon fed. I spent a great deal of time looking up information on Bridge Rectifiers, how they work ( I learned it's actually just 4 diodes ), scoured my 2nd edition of Art of Electronics  book, spent lots of time on Mouser, etc. It wasn't like I was being lazy. And I could have found my answer in just a minute right here with a better search . I get it. Lesson learned.

I'm pleased that it wasn't main members who had to lead me to the answer. Thanks Smithy and others again for the help and enlightenment.  Onward Ho!!!

I'm going to have more questions on this PSU before it's done, I know it. And I'm definitely going to have questions about the brightness of my LEDs, how much juice I have to power them, etc...  and I'll make sure to exhaust all possible avenues of search before asking them :-p

I know a self-service restaurant where they serve delicious food.When you get in, you usually see the usual suspects customers, eating, burping, drinking and having great time, tasting all kind of gourmet stuff, which are sometime a bit difficult to be found because in the kitchen there is this crazy German chef and a bunch of pots cleaners who can t stop enrich the menu with all kind of delicatessen.. so that the buffet tables are so packed up with stuff that it s not so easy sometime to find the salt or ask for a fork; by the way bringing your own fork and knife is a kind of respect to the happy brigade who s too busy frying and slicing and can t prepare the tables.

Of course there are random customers, truck drivers (yes truck drivers love this place), other chefs from other restaurants passing by to pick a little bit of this or a little bit of that, sometime a lost tourist in town passes by to get a continental breakfast which is not really the specialty of the restaurant but that can be found, assuming he s got the time to wait in the queue.

Take away with no adobe are always available but the real soul of this place lies on sitting on the large table discussing the menu of the day for hours and hours and hours, drinking laaarge glasses of beer, on the best German tradition.

All in all this is not fast food.

:)

I know a self-service restaurant where they serve delicious food.When you get in, you usually see the usual suspects customers, eating, burping, drinking and having great time, tasting all kind of gourmet stuff, which are sometime a bit difficult to be found because in the kitchen there is this crazy German chef and a bunch of pots cleaners who can t stop enrich the menu with all kind of delicatessen.. so that the buffet tables are so packed up with stuff that it s not so easy sometime to find the salt or ask for a fork; by the way bringing your own fork and knife is a kind of respect to the happy brigade who s too busy frying and slicing and can t prepare the tables.

Of course there are random customers, truck drivers (yes truck drivers love this place), other chefs from other restaurants passing by to pick a little bit of this or a little bit of that, sometime a lost tourist in town passes by to get a continental breakfast which is not really the specialty of the restaurant but that can be found, assuming he s got the time to wait in the queue.

Take away with no adobe are always available but the real soul of this place lies on sitting on the large table discussing the menu of the day for hours and hours and hours, drinking laaarge glasses of beer, on the best German tradition.

All in all this is not fast food.

:)

Beautiful!