MIDIbox CV PCB (CORE+AOUT+DINX1+Bankstick) + 2 x MAX525

sonicwarrior

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I've sent the current state in another round mail.

I haven't received this latest bulk email. There was some trouble for me to recieve emails from sonicwarrior before, though I have been receiving most of the emails fine since the initial issues. Could someone in the list just paraphrase the latest developments for me with a post to this thread?

Thanks,

madox

[paraphrase]

Bad news - chip prices have gone up about 2 euro, two people haven't paid and are off the group buy. Good news - both PICs and PCBs have arrived.

[/paraphrase]

I'm not sure where that leaves us - does Joachim cover the difference in cost for the chips or do we have to pay more?  I offered to buy the left-overs from the two people who were booted, but I haven't received a reply...

• 3 weeks later...

"All the parts"?

Only the MAX525BCPP is missing but that's enough for some real pain in the a**.

It seems I have to order from a source with a lead time of 12 weeks to get the

cheapest possible price which is still more expensive than my calculated price.

I'm sooo happy when all this is over. It proves my decision that this is my

last big groupbuy. In the future I will do only PCB groupbuys for my own PCBs

at most.

Instead of the difficult-to-get MAX6007B you can use a LM385-2,5. You'll only need to re-calculate some resistor values.

Maxim seems to have the MAX6007B+ which is the RoHS version of MAX6007B in stock and orderable in any quantity from 1 on up for US$1.53 each.  I just placed an  order for some at https://shop.maxim-ic.com/ with no problems.

The same Maxim site is accepting orders for MAX525BCPP+ which is the RoHS version of MAX525BCPP with a leadtime of 4 weeks at prices of:

[table]

[tr][td]Qty[/td][td]Each (US$)[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1-24[/td][td]$27.68[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]25-99[/td][td]$21.99[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]100-499[/td][td]$16.28[/td][/tr]

[/table]

The same Maxim site is accepting orders for MAX525BCPP+ which is the RoHS version of MAX525BCPP with a leadtime of 4 weeks at prices of:

[table]

[tr][td]Qty[/td][td]Each (US$)[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1-24[/td][td]$27.68[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]25-99[/td][td]$21.99[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]100-499[/td][td]$16.28[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Hmm, I guess this is a recent development; I don't think this option was available when the order commenced. This does seem like a slightly cheaper option, though I guess it may be a hassle to change the supplier at this stage.

not that recent Maxim have had these available since about may that i know of

as far as cheaper goes it is a little hard to tell when the exchange rates have varied so much in the last 12 months

i believe i paid AUD $ 38 each for the max525 and about $1.50 for the 6007b"s late june / early july

but then the aussie dollar was around .95 US not .65 and falling fast and in any case i think sonicwarrior has done his best to get

the best deal for everyone involved so its probably a little late in the day to go down this road

...and in any case i think sonicwarrior has done his best to get

the best deal for everyone involved so its probably a little late in the day to go down this road

Sonicwarrior already has the max525 order in and I wouldn't try to change that.  What I was trying to do is let people know I found a possible source of MAX6007B+ which I'd understood are nearly unfindable as the non-RoHS MAX6007B. 

Since I was there at Maxim's site, I thought it was useful to grab the price of max525's as well in case anyone who really wants one missed out on the MIDIbox CV PCB (CORE+AOUT+DINX1+Bankstick) + 2 x MAX525 bulk order.

This morning I got email from Maxim that they plan on shipping my MAX6007B+ tomorrow.  It looks like they're coming from Thailand (I'm in the US).

I really appreciate how Sonicwarrior has stayed on top of this order in spite of the changing availability and price.

i think sonicwarrior has done his best to get the best deal for everyone involved so its probably a little late in the day to go down this road

I really appreciate how Sonicwarrior has stayed on top of this order in spite of the changing availability and price.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is getting down on him for how he has conducted the order. He has put in the effort, and stuck with it, and I'm definitely happy for the service he is providing the rest of us.

It's still good to know the developments at the Maxim online store. I hadn't bothered to check back there for quite some time. Funny how easily I can adopt past truths as untested assumptions.

...the aussie dollar was around .95 US not .65 and falling fast

Ahh, the good old days. I'm still in the mode of reading $US in online stores, and thinking how affordable everything looks. Even with the snafu $AU, it's still cheaper to source most electronics and audio gear from OS though.

• 1 month later...

It's still 2 months until I get the MAX525.  :(

I'm so happy when this groupbuy is over. I will never do something like that again and a PCB groupbuy is the maximum I'm willing to do in the future: I can buy these here in Germany, there are easy to ship and I don't have to bother with lead times and currency conversion stress (like Euro/Dollar course).

People who've done a few a groupbuys and are not pissed off are my heroes (e.g. Wilba or Doug Wellington). Maybe I just have lack of organisational talent ... or bad karma.  ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Btw.: The MAX525 arrived at the end of last week and I emailed every participant.

I've sent the first sets on monday.

3 sets (PCB, PIC, 2x MAX525) are still available because of jump-offs. If someone is interested:

Please PM me with your email address.

I had to order 108 chips because of a bulk quantity of 18 (108 = 6 packs).

That means 8 MAX525 chips are available separately of which 2 are already gone.

So 6 MAX525 are left if someone is interested in them.

Btw.: Would be cool if we could bundle our forces for a frontpanel or case groupbuy.

I myself am planing to use a MOTM- or DOTCOM-like Schaeffer frontpanel on one MIDIbox CV and a desktop or rack case for the others.

I'm willing to do a second groupbuy for the PCBs if there is interest but I won't include the PICs and MAX525 this time.

The latter caused most of the trouble + delay, it's easier to ship PCBs only and I don't have to handle that much money (remember: PayPal sucks).

Edit: I forgot to mention that in this PCB you don't have to use a MAX6007B. The alternative is LM385-Z2,5 (Reichelt order number).

See

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,4026.msg26638.html#msg26638 (sorry, it's in german)