[Midibox AY 3 8912... ]

lemonhorse

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HardplAYer: would you be interested in playing YM's off this box ...

Hey, a "MIDIbox AY Player" would be great! - But I suppose that would require a complete new firmware concept and much more coding experience from my side. I'm still learning the basics of asm/PIC18F.

Is there anyone who wants to start a "MIDIbox AY Player" research project?!? I would like to co-operate ;)

Arcadechips.com sells the ones that are making Noise, too - at least they did to me. And ordering there takes a while. A _whiiiiiiaaaaaaalll_. ;)

ok just ordered 2 AY 3 8912 chips there. they also seem to have RAM chips i really need!!!

A little reminder that if you plan on making a protoboard yourself, a AY-3-8910 works fine, and ... so does a YM2149F - if you can find one :)

i already have one YM2149F !!! i took it from my old Atari 1040ST (socketed, easy to pull). but i decided to do my first try with the recommended 8912 i just ordered, because i actually couldn't make such a protoboard myself due to lack of knowledge... i wouldn't even know where to start. but i'll safe it for the future when i have more experience.

Vedge: That's good thing to do - if you look at the pokey board I have a software controllable clock divider on it, which comes in handy for octave shifting and other fun stuff. The chips are pretty stable at all sorts of different clock speeds.

ok just ordered 2 AY 3 8912 chips there. they also seem to have RAM chips i really need!!!

they're fast now. i ordered some last week & got them this week on tuesday. and they are the GI originals (but couldn't test them yet)

(edit: quote)

changes @ V0.06:

now you can name, save and load a MIDIBox AY 3 8912 Patch (no bankstick needed (just the eeprom of the pic  ;) ))

Patch Menu [F1]:

*  Patchname Valid Keys: [A-Z, 0-9, SPACE KEY = “_†]

*  With [iNS DEL] or [CLR HOME] key you delete the patch name (but not the patch data)

*  Menu Item EXECUTE: here you can [W]rite or [L]oad the internal Patch.

=> http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midibox_ay_3_8912

• 4 weeks later...

hi Serge,

sorry, there will be no "chord arpegio" feature in the near future.

every midibox ay tone [a|b|c] has its own MIDI channel (so there is a conflict).

BUT for more complex sound construction i thought it would be attractive to implement a kind of Fx feature:

something like this:

[MIDI: Note On]
     ||
     \/
[play the user adjusted tone a|b|c] (this is what the midiox ay already do)
     ||
     \/
[if Fx Mode is on @ tone a|b|c] (Fx option)
     \/
play Fx table:
Fx tab pos01 [Fx Function: write [x1] to ay chip register [y1] / or do other functions (*)] the time of Fx Pos01 [t1] before execution
Fx tab pos02 [Fx Function: write [x2] to ay chip register [y2] / or do other functions] the time of Fx Pos02 [t2] before execution
Fx tab pos03 [Fx Function: write [x3] to ay chip register [y3] / or do other functions] the time of Fx Pos03 [t3] before execution
Fx tab pos32 [Fx Function: write [x32] to ay chip register [y32] / or do other functions] the time of Fx Pos32 [t32] before execution

(* goto Fx tab pos xy (Fx loop), end of Fx tab (Fx end))
     ||
     \/
[MIDI Note off]

i'm in a initial design phase of the midibox ay Fx option (maybe later on there will be a way for realizing a kind of "chord arpegio" this way (don't know yet))

best regards,

- lemonhorse

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update to MIDIBox AY-3-8912  V0.07a  [PIC18F452] 25.07.2009:

* Fx editing: no annoying jump back to Fx pos. 0 after a NOTE ON MIDI EVENT on LCD

* Fixed some bugs @ the Fx functions, etc.

Update to MIDIBox AY-3-8912  V0.07b  [PIC18F452] 01.08.2009:

* Fixed some CC / CS LED / LCD Issues

Update to MIDIBox AY-3-8912  V0.07c  [PIC18F452] 02.08.2009:

* Fixed Fx Issues (fixed Fx Noise Period, more readable 'Fx Names' on LCD)

Update to MIDIBox AY-3-8912  V0.07d  [PIC18F452] 11.09.2009:

* just souce reviewed (sorry, no new features)

mbay8912pic18f452v007c.zip @ http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midibox_ay_3_8912

-.-

Next To Do:

* Bankstick implementation for 127 Patches

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

love this project, I am so glad midibox has allowed use of so many chips I've wanted to make music with. I have ordered the two boards for me to work on this after I finish the SID. I am hoping someone can confirm for me, do I have to break up a c64 to get the keyboard or can I get away with using midi only? or is there an alternative controller such as building a matrix keypad interface? Thanks in advance for any advice