[Midibox AY 3 8912... ]

lemonhorse

Hello Analog Monster!

> do I have to break up a c64 to get the keyboard or can I get away with using midi only?

Here is a List of MIDIBox AY CC Parameter:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midibox_ay_3_8912_cc_list

Without C64 Keyboard:

- No Fx Option (http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midibox_ay_3_8912_fx)

- You can not save patches

- No LCD Menu Navigation

> is there an alternative controller such as building a matrix keypad interface?

No.

But buttons are on my TODO LIST now (Perhaps It will come with a PIC18F4620 Update)

- Lemonhorse

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks for the answer. I think I will build it into a temporary case while its midi only and move onto some other midibox projects, then I will work out if I want to break up a c64 or not when I've finished what is on my list - my intention is to build a rack mounted synth bank based on my favourite old computer chips (SID, OP-FM, AY), but you know how projects can change as time goes on.

MIDIBox AY V2 forecast:

Got a problem with PIC 18F4620 (glitch noise at increased MIDI traffic).

There is no such problem with the same Software @ PIC18F452 (but i can not use the 18F452 for further development - not enough Program Memory)

Next step:

I will buy a PIC18F4685 for a cross-check.

• 3 weeks later...

MIDIBox AY (YM) V2 - Forecast II (still planning phase)

* I will remove the C64 keyboard and try to design a new CS with Buttons (just ordered Buttons ;-)

* I think the MB AY (YM) V2 will be stuffed with the 18F4685 (a lot of programming space to play around)

Edited by lemonhorse

Hello Nebula,

What do I do with all the extra pins on the 8910?

ay3891x.jpg

The AY-3-8910 has two general purpose 8-bit I/O ports and is supplied in a 40 lead the AY-3-8912 has one port and 28 leads.

All IOA and IOB (I/O ports) = N.C.

All Test pins = N.C.

/A9 = 0V (ground)

Thanks Lemonhorse - that's exactly what I needed to know! I wasn't sure if I should ground the unused IO pins or not.

I'm actually modifying the layout a bit for the 8910. Might take me a while as I have some other projects on the go ... but I will share my layout when done.

Here's another question ... would it be a good idea to have the AY chip on the same board as the mixer? I can't think of any reason not to.

BTW BG Micro offers new AY 3 8910 IC's for $4.07 USD. They are out of stock at the moment, but apparently they are getting more.

Hello Nebula,

... would it be a good idea to have the AY chip on the same board as the mixer?

I have no objections. It's just because the modular concept is a little more flexible in some way.

I mean you can (re)use one and the same mixer module with a adequate Soundchip PCB (AY-3-8910, AY-3-8912, YM2149).