Anybody know this MMC message?

Jidis

Been playing with a JLCooper locator (Cuepoint) again here. It repeatedly spits out this obnoxious message the whole time it's on, and I don't see it listed in this MMC wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_Machine_Control

Message is: F0 7F 00 06 42 01 48 F7    ??? ???

Thanks,

George

PS- It doesn't look as continuous/heavy as a timecode stream or anything (more like a fast pulsing), plus it runs in stop mode,etc. and the data part never changes. The device itself is strictly transport control/time display/track arming stuff. It has a wheel, but this is while the wheel is nulled and sitting still. (here's a message from some wheel movement:  F0 7F 00 06 47 03 08 20 00 F7 )

Roger,

Thanks! I don't have any way set up right now to see if any DAW app responds to that message, but I have a feeling they don't. I'm actually pretty disappointed in its overall communication with the DAW apps. It can arm tracks and control playback, but very little comes back to the Cuepoint (it's about an 80% one-way link), and I have yet to see the scroll wheel control anything, but it does spit out a stream of movement data.

The constant message definitely isn't a reply to anything either. If I switch it to JLCooper CS-10 emulation mode, the message stops, but starts back up when I have it set to address any MMC device.

There has to be a more complete listing of those oddball commands somewhere. :-\

George

Does the host give a respond?

Thanks again. :D

That eventually pointed me in the right direction. I found a manual for some sort of RS422 MMC converter box which had a small list of recognized MMC commands at the end. The '42 01' is a "read position" command, so I guess it's polling for the current timecode address. I fed the Cuepoint some MTC from a second machine while watching the output in MIDIOx and that stream of mess started and stopped each time the master device was idle.

I'll still be looking for a way to kill it, but it's at least nice to know what it was. :)

George

I'll still be looking for a way to kill it, but it's at least nice to know what it was. :)

You could quite easily connect a core in your midi line between Cuepoint and DAW.

Then you could filter say, 9 out of every 10 of these requests, or 24 out of 25.

... or 1 out of 1 if you really hate it.  ;D

You could quite easily connect a core in your midi line between Cuepoint and DAW.

Coincidentally, I've thought about putting a core inside this crap and replacing most of the guts, but there's too much stuff piled up on the to do list here. Wouldn't it be nice if all the LED/switch boards in it had onboard shift registers and those five pin connections for the MBHP stuff. ;D

Most of its functions are sort of redundant in the DAW age, but it would have been great back in the ADAT-era. I think if it came out now it would probably implement one of the common controller protocols or at least have some sort of generic outgoing signals for most of the buttons. None of the wheel signals are recognized by Nuendo and that cool monitor/rec LED matrix only responds to internal activity (it doesn't stay in sync if you use any virtual buttons on your host). Also, the nine digit display reads and displays incoming MTC, and has labels for beats, but it doesn't actually respond to MIDI clock (you have to manually create a "SMPTE to beat" tempo map (...yuck).

On the plus side, if you did replace the boards with MBHP compatibles, the majority of the buttons and labels would still be relevant even as a DAW control. I've attached a picture. It really is a beautiful piece of hardware and doesn't go for all that much now when it shows up.

George    - BTW, those numeric buttons feel as good as they look. It's also not as big as it appears (only around 8"x12").

Cuepoint_thumb.jpg

2867_Cuepoint_jpgaec18c8ceaa5cce711ba7e2