Fan Connections

sparx

I haven't actually build the MB-6582, but have been studying the construction guide in preparation. I found this on the wiki written by Wilba:

the list of useful headers for a “default†MB-6582 setup

J25 (~9V-11V DC, for connecting to fan)

J3 (5V DC, for connecting to fan, if 9V-11V makes the fan too noisy)

I have connected it using J25. Im having a bit of a problem in that the fan is very loud. I am thinking of adding a little speed control board with a resistor and a trim pot. Im thinking a 5W 100ohm resistor and a 10k trimpot inline with the positive signal. I have done a little test and it drops the noise by a huge amount (and you can tune the amount you can handle with the trim pot). The fan I am using is the fluro red ace 44w fan. I guess I could use the J3 connection, but I think I like the idea of setting the fan how I want it to run speed (noise) wise.

Incidentally, are people having this as an extraction fan or intake fan? Im running with extraction unless its not the best idea...

Unfortunately, I discovered too late that that particular fan is noisy both from spinning (if powered by ~11V) and noisy on the supply rails.

If you want to stick with it, supply it with 5V, this should drop its speed down, but then there's perhaps too much load on the 5V supply (if stuffed with 8 SIDs).

Plan B would be get a quieter fan that runs at a slower RPM at ~11V and supply via J25.

Either of these two case fans are a good option:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_506&products_id=6016

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_506&products_id=5057

The 2nd one wasn't available when I built my last one, but I'll be using it in the next one (or two).

FYI it's also fairly safe to disconnect the fan if you're only running 8580 or 6582 since these don't get as hot as 6581, but make sure you cut some ventilation slots!

What about putting a 100nF capacitor across the supply to the fan?

It is with great pleasure that I can report my blue LED fan is woking quietly and there is no problem with the rest of my 6582, its taken a while but MB6582 number 79 is rocking away in London town tonight!

Regards

Sparx

Photos of my 6582?  Well it looks like all the other 6582's, blue LCD, blue LEDs, black and white knobs...but will try if you want

Would rather post some photos of my original SID when its recased as it is far more individual, but I do like the 6582  :).

Anyway, the fan I used came from Maplin, I can't find it on the site, but they have it in store, cost £4.99 and is the only blue LED 40mm they do. 

I am toying with the idea of doing another 6582 in red, so will need a red fan, anyone had any success?

Sparx

Anyway, the fan I used came from Maplin, I can't find it on the site, but they have it in store, cost £4.99 and is the only blue LED 40mm they do. 

This one?

[img width=200 height=171]http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/300/a68fr.jpg

· Replacement fan for chip set cooling heat sink

· 3 hi-bright blue LED s

· 40 x 40 x 10 mm fan

· 5000 rpm

· 23.97 dB(A)

· 5.20CFM

· 12V DC

£4.99 - http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=49106&doy=26m6

But now I want one in red....

This fan from Maplin is an Akasa. I checked their website and they don't have 40mm in red, just blue. Well, thanks for the info, I'll look elsewhere. I need red, as well. But, may just settle on no LED fan. I'm more concerned about silent running and no interference with sound.

Anyone can make me an offer for the one (or two?) that I have and don't want to use anymore.

Hey Wilba, I would be interested in one of your red fans and a power switch for MB-6582 if you have any left. Shoot me an email or PM with your price. Shipping would be to the US.

I have put the fan on the 5V rail, much more quiet. What method would be used to gauge if the 5V rail is overloaded now with the fan on it?? I don't want any parts to be stressed.

When the LCD backlight doesn't work, and the PICs don't send upload requests, and there is no sound from the SIDs, then the 5V rail is overloaded.

Also, smoke coming out of the PSU is a good sign.