Stereo SID V2

swindus

Hi, just want to post some pictures of my finished stereo SID. The 5 knobs are connected to J5 of the core module for some realtime action. The red dots are lit by some leds. On the picture that shows the internals you can see an optimized psu, a DINx2 module and five EEPROMs for storing patches and ensembles.

Thanks to TK! The MIDIBox SID is a unique sounding synth, I really like the random sound generation functions!

sid1.jpg

sid2.jpg

sid3.jpg

sid4.jpg

sid5.jpg

sid6.jpg

@puddingbrumsel

The housing is just a box of five parts (4 sides and 1 bottom part). The part on the back is a bit longer to get a nice angle. They are glued together and coated with anthracite finish. The 2 big side parts are made of maple wood coated with clear finish and are bolt to the box. The top plate is made of acrylic glass. I've done this with the help of a good friend who is a professional cabinet maker.

First I want to use the light dots to show the value of the knob. But I'm still a electronic noob and the result were not really satisfying. I just connected the led to the pot and this way the led only lit when the pot is opened half and more. Additional the knob did not work as aspected anymore. No more or only small value changes when the the led was lit. But it is no problem to add this again. Maybe someone can give me a hint?

Oh that's really pretty, nice one!

Edit about the LEDs... Only thing I could think to do is something like this:

Store the value of each pot in a variable on change

Set the value of a counter for each pot as 255-<8bit pot value> (so the higher the pot value, the smaller the counter)

Each time the CS update runs, decrement the counter

Toggle the LED status when counter gets to 0, and then reload the counter

That way, the LED should strobe with a higher speed when having a higher value, lower with a lower value

Dunno if that'll work.... SID gurus?

She's a beauty!

Blogged :)

Special thanks for the demo!

LED functions: it isn't so easy like described by StrydOne, because PWM with such a high resolution cannot be handled while all the other SID engine and CS functions are running in parallel.

Only possibility I see is the usage of a dedicated PWM chip, but this requires some programming knowledge (see also this forum article)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The problem with the knobs is that they are from my Korg MS20 USB Controller and the MS20 now looks a little bit naked. ;) So I need to find a replacement. Just ordered some knobs like the one next to the display just a litte bit smaller and with a white mark line.

• 1 month later...
What I ask myself now is: Why is it a SHE?  Grin Wink

... maybe because nILS wantet it to be a SHE or because he spends more time with midibox than with his girlfriend ...

Be warned! MIDIbox IS a dangerous hobby!!

greets

Doc