MB-6582 threaded spacers

frailn

If, like me, you are collecting parts for Wilba's MB-6582 project, I found an auction on eBay for the M3 10mm spacers (otherwise known as standoffs). They are $6.85 for 24 spacers. You need 25 for the project, so I had to buy two sets. Never hurts to have extras in case I lose one or two. Also, extras come in handy for future projects.

M3 10mm threaded spacer eBay auction

EDIT: These spacers are not ideal for the MB-6582 project (see Wilba's comments in his reply, below).

However, I have found some good spacers. I will post more information in a reply to this thread.

FYI those spacers in the eBay auction are not exactly right - I'm using threaded spacers that you can screw a screw into, rather than attach a nut to.

They should work though, although it will be a little bit more tedious attaching and reattaching nuts instead of screws.

Also, you will need M2.5 screws, nuts and washers for attaching the LCD to the PCB... it's a bit unfortunate that you have to buy 50 minimum (perhaps someone can share amongst other builders? Arrange a mini "bulk order" for a set of fasteners for MB-6582?)

FYI those spacers in the eBay auction are not exactly right - I'm using threaded spacers that you can screw a screw into, rather than attach a nut to

I thought those threads on the end could twist in and out of the spacer. Well, I'll probably purchase the same type of spacer you used and hold onto these for future projects...

Also, you will need M2.5 screws, nuts and washers for attaching the LCD to the PCB...

Thanks for pointing this out!

EDIT - I caught my Uncle Nutty order in time to add the 2.5 mm hardware before it shipped. So now I have 100 each of the 2.5 mm nut, washer and screw to add to the pile of fasteners!

it's a bit unfortunate that you have to buy 50 minimum (perhaps someone can share amongst other builders? Arrange a mini "bulk order" for a set of fasteners for MB-6582?)

I was thinking along the same lines. But, it seems a shame to pay so much shipping for just fasteners. What I may do is separate out the needed fasteners into small baggies, then forward them along to Smash...maybe he would be interested in including them with the control surface PCB purchases until they run out? I'll ask him...

I found good spacers at Mouser and Digikey.

Mouser part number  534-24393. No minimum order. $0.35 each for 25.

Digikey part number 2493K-ND. Must order in multiples of 10. If you order 30, they cost $0.50 each.

I'm considered running a bulk order for these. But, first I want to check with Smash and see if it would be better for me to order them en masse to go with the Uncle Nutty parts, separate them out like a parts kit and ship the units to Smash to include with Control Surface PCB's. Smash does not sell a Control Surface PCB parts kit, due to the customization of each control surface by each individual. However, there are many people interested in building the MB-6582 using the Pac-Tec PT-10 case, so these spacers and the hardware mentioned in my post above seem to be essential to build the MIDIbox in this case. Once I touch base with Smash, I'll make a decision and post it here.

I'm curious to know if anyone would even be interested in a "fastener parts kit" for the MB-6582 Control Surface PCB. Or is everyone just collecting these from local sources?