MIDI communication errors

I am sending MIDI commands with PIC18f4620 to M-audio firewire audiophile audio card. I have noticed a strange bug. If I am sending the same commands in the row to close together (no larger time pauses between chunks), there is data corruption. I have pluged my home-made MIDI out into home made MIDI in tester and everything works fine. However, not with audio card mentioned above. If I put 5ms delay between 3 byte MIDI chunks, everything works fine. But this produces some latency...

Are pauses between MIDI messages part of MIDI specifications or is there a problem with my MIDI receiver on audio card?

Thank you for your replies.

The drivers for that card are probably not really well written - a lot of MIDI drivers on Windows cause problems with larger chunks of data (e.g. SysEx blocks). Also, it has been mentioned elsewhere that Firewire is not really well suited for MIDI. Explain your problem to M-Audio and ask for a driver update. Or get yourself another MIDI interface right away.

Best regards, ilmenator

Thank you for your reply. I will be using my midi keyboard with this hardware, so i will try to compenzate this bug. However, I have an option to try MIDI with Presonus Firepod.

I will mention just in case: I am talking abou errors in sending four controlers data (4x3bytes) in a row. First 3 bytes are allways ok, others are sometimes facing some problems.