MB808 drum seq standalone

creatorlars

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Michael. The PCB is double layer thus not suitable for self etching. If enough people are interested and if somebody living in normal country would like to run a batch... I`m here.  ;)

I can`t run another batch from Serbia... I had so much troubles with local customs about x0xb0x PCBs so I was forced to search for some alternative that turned into disaster.

Sasha i have not started my 9090 yet but i allready like what you are doing.

So if you approve, i am willing to do the batch. It will be a first timer for me but i think i can manage.

My second question is the 9090 housing. I allready got one but now that i see your's hmmmmm me like :D. Could we do a panel or case batch too after the pcb's?

Thanks Twinny, glad you like it.

I`m currently working on base PCB that contains all the electronics and it is designed to be stacked under the CS PCB. CS PCB is modified meanwhile, so now it accepts Smash`s modules. It is small modification but it would mean a lot if somebody is using Smash`s PCBs. On current prototype it don`t fit his PCB`s.

I would like to make another prototype of both PCBs and than we can see about batch. I don`t know how many people would be interested in it. Thank you for an offer. We`ll be in touch. ;)

I don`t have plans for running any kind of 9090 panel nor case batch. Even I could make it inexpensive locally, again... known problem with shipping. :(

Yes, I know Doug is planing to do something similar but that has not much to do with what I`m doing. I don`t compete with Doug in any way. Personally, I would rather wait for somebody else to do it instead of me, but I know I can`t expect to be truly satisfied with the result. I know pretty much what I can expect from myself. 8) :P

With all respect to Moogah efforts to provide us 808 clone PCB and all critical parts, I was really unsatisfied with the lack of detention while designing the PCB. Too much free styling for my tough criteria. So, that really inspired me to give it a try and try to make something batter that would suits my liking. So, I designed my CS but just recently after I received 9090 PCBs I decided to design the PCB.

This started as a personal project on first place, but than as few people contacted me and asked about PCB some batch might happens at the end. Ofcourse, if enough people are interested.

This is main PCB that will be connected to the CS only with headers. That`y why this maybe strange arrangement. It still has more things to be done... As you can see there are still enough free space, so some IIC modules can be added. As the total is 16 instruments I`m not sure can it be useful at all on a drum sequencers. What do you think?

Wven I wan`t use it I added 2 headers for 2x 2x40 LCDs with 1:1 connection as ultra did on his ultracore. For gate out I`m thinking of maybe using 2x DB-9 connectors or 1x DB-16.

3276536370_b3af3e21aa_o.gif

I have one problem with design if I can call it that way... the height.

The height of sequencer is nicely 30mm (or less if sub-pabel is not used) It is 32mm including side panels. The distance between PCBs are just 12mm so I don`t have a space for normal DIN connectors. What do you think about using mini DIN connectors instead? I don`t like it very much. Do you suggest some other connector? I would hate to make it higher just because of connectors. :\

Any suggestions and are very welcome and appreciated.  ;)

4510_dissection_gif03a733bb62d5cdb3b8a5d

4510_dissection_gif03a733bb62d5cdb3b8a5d

Thanks Asaf. Well, the problem is that I`m limited by the length of the pin headers. I really don`t wanna use any wires here! Check the attached picture in my previous post. If I have some space on CS panel I would mount the connector underneath it "bat style"... like Nils did as a workaround for the error on gm5x5x5 prototype. That would be solution, as I could cut the main PCB so connector can protrude trough it. Maybe I`m too much a slave of miniaturization but it is hard to accept I can`t have super-slim sequencer just because of some fat connector. Still, I like those DINs pretty much.

Sasha, I've never seen mini DIN's on musical instruments.

I guess that there is no difference in performance so It's only an aesthetic choice and the need to make cables that would fit.

Most of the time I like things to be packed in small as possible and understand your stand on making the SEQ as slim as possible,

At the same time there are some parts I prefer large (or normal) as the smaller ones seems to me funny on instruments - as such I would never use banana plugs instead of 1/4 jacks although it would save me panel space, DIN is a new world for me but I guess it's the same.

Back to the real subject, your SEQ, a few more questions might trigger an idea.

How exactly are the two boards connected, I see the space for DIL connectors, are you adding them on both and then connect with a jumper/terminal between them ?

Asaf, one PCB has male and other female headers for direct interconection. Nothing in between. There are 6 spacers to support it all. Corner spacers will go trough the top panel, and bottom spacers will be for screwing the bottom panel. The whole assembly  should be joined together very simple in male-female manner. 

This is latest, and probably final main PCB layout. I added DIN, DB-15 (14x gate out), and power connectors. All of these including power switch and 2200uF capacitor are mounting on the bottom side of the PCB to allow minimum spacing between CS and main PCB. I just realized I should mount the 7805 with heatsink onto bottom side too. I`ll change that. I have no idea what kind of power switch to use. I like those C64 style Wilba used on MB6582. I should maybe go with these or something similar. What do you think? Have some other suggestions? As I`m concerned PCB designing is finished. I just need to do some in depth inspection and wait for the salary so I can order prototypes.

3286784941_770e471023_o.gif

This is latest, and probably final main PCB layout. I added DIN, DB-15 (14x gate out), and power connectors. All of these including power switch and 2200uF capacitor are mounting on the bottom side of the PCB to allow minimum spacing between CS and main PCB. I just realized I should mount the 7805 with heatsink onto bottom side too. I`ll change that. I have no idea what kind of power switch to use. I like those C64 style Wilba used on MB6582. I should maybe go with these or something similar. What do you think? Have some other suggestions? As I`m concerned PCB designing is finished. I just need to do some in depth inspection and wait for the salary so I can order prototypes.

For the switch keep it one that is easily available in shops. I had to trash a c64 to get the switch.

I have to wait for salary too otherwise i would have send you some fundings for the prototype.

For the switch keep it one that is easily available in shops. I had to trash a c64 to get the switch.

Arn`t Wilba offered these switches to the builders? There is a link on MB6582 wiki page to the similar switch. I recycled mine.

I have visited few electronic shops lately so I can decide which power switch should I use but I had no good results. Only common PCB type switch that I found was rocker switch with round metal lever... not sure what is the name for these. ...pretty common but ugly. I found some slider switches that seams better but don`t know how common they are. Contact pitch is standard 5.08mm, but those extra (supporting) pins might not be. So, I`m really not sure about should I have switch on PCB at all, or it is better to use wires. I also don`t like PCB power sockets so much. I used common type that is used on x0xb0x for example, but I find the ones that screws to the panel with one bolt to be stronger and less wobbling. I would really like to avoid using any wires on this project but maybe would be better to use few. Not sure yet.

Some input about those things is welcome.

Twin, thanks for the suggestions.

First one is the rocker I was talking about... don`t like it very much as a power. Tiny, sticks out of the plain too much and not comfortable to use.

Second one is suitable for power, but I`ve seen so meny variations of these with different footprints. Not sure which is most common one? I think I couldn`t find one with this footprint locally, but there are few other with similar design. I could maybe make multi switch footprint as I did with GP buttons on the CS PCB

Sasha i was thinking. Is it to late to add buttons or shift function for those real specific 909 things.

Wat i am trying to say is that i miss shuffle/flam and an accent button (feature)

As an ex 909 owner i can tell you that you will use this alot! And it would be a great + if this could be added somehow.

• 2 months later...

Hey all.. just to bump this thread...

Sasha, do you have any updates etc?

I was looking around my 'junk' pile, and saw that I have a few old drum modules etc (909 kick, Simmons claptrap, Dynacord digital snare, Roland DR Pad etc) and was thinking about hacking them all up, and making my own custom frankenstein drum machine.

This sort of sequencer seems like the ticket, and i'd love to see what others have got up to.

Regards

Mike

Hey all.. just to bump this thread...

Sasha, do you have any updates etc?

I was looking around my 'junk' pile, and saw that I have a few old drum modules etc (909 kick, Simmons claptrap, Dynacord digital snare, Roland DR Pad etc) and was thinking about hacking them all up, and making my own custom frankenstein drum machine.

This sort of sequencer seems like the ticket, and i'd love to see what others have got up to.

Regards

Mike

Mike, I still got no money to do the prototyping of the base PCB, so everything is waiting for some better times. Other that that, everything is ready.

Mike, I still got no money to do the prototyping of the base PCB, so everything is waiting for some better times. Other that that, everything is ready.

Sorry to hear Sasha.. ;[

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I've had a search (Probably not hard enough), and presently can't find out how the sequencer is wired up etc.. I realise it's a stripped down sequencer, but I'd like to know how the buttons are wired up to the DIN's and how the LED's are wired up to the DOUT's etc..

It's early days, so I'm just mumbling out aloud.. on a lighter note,

-I fixed up the Analogue Solutions BD99 Kick drum module that I bought for hardly anything because it was not working.. so now I have a 909 (clone) kick drum.. getting closer to making this happen.

-I resurected the eeprom based dynacord snare a few weeks ago.

-The clap trap is working ok.

-DR PAD is fine

I wouldn't mind some HiHats... not sure what schem to use.. I don't think analogue hihats would go with the above.

If I get this underway, I'll start up a 'work in progress thread'

Regards

Mike