Ableton Live controls

SilverZero

Still in the planning/laying-out stages of my project. I'm playing with Live and my M-Audio O2 to get ideas about how I can control different parameters, and I am wondering about something in my MB design.

I know I can map buttons to select different tracks in Live, but what is the advantage here? I thought I might be able to cut down on physical resources if I had just one "active track" set of knobs, like one volume, one clip-stop, and a few clip-start buttons, etc., but they would only control the track I had selected. Since controls are mapped more globally (like to the path "1-Audio/Mixer - Volume" for a certain button), I guess that idea is out . . . ? If I can't do that, is there any reason to allocate 8 buttons to just selecting a track, other than to have it highlighted? If I want to do anything within the selected track, I'm still using the mouse or a dedicated mapping that would work whether the track was selected or not, right?

Thanks!

I have looked at the LC, along with all the other projects. I'm not sure how that applies to my question about tracks being controlled by the same buttons, depending on which track is selected. Or is that addressed in the firmware? If it's a better option, I'd definitely look further into it.

I guess I could set the track selection buttons to actually select different banks within the MB. That leads me to a new question: Do different banks actually send different MIDI signals? For example, could I have one bank set up to send volume levels from a pot to track 1 in Ableton, and another bank set up to send volume from the same pot to track 2? In other words, the pot would actually have different MIDI assignments in each bank. And how many banks can be stored on the internal memory (or on a single bankstick)? I'm presuming a single bank is a global snapshot of every control - is that correct?

(Edit: I suppose my example above would definitely be a place for either encoders or motorfaders, since I'd be changing between two potentially-different volume channels. Does the LC support encoders?)

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks guys! I've read most everything on the wiki and the main MB site, I'm now just trying to make sense of it all. I'm comfortable with computers, but I'm a lot more of a newb when it comes to microcontrollers and such. I'm getting there!

Thanks for the "hints" too, cimo. You're kinda like the Cheshire cat . . . ;)

• 2 years later...

Ok thanx, I'm reading and reading, and since last week also soldering and experimenting with my core and AIN and DIN modules. And I'm really getting somewhere but sometimes I get lost in all information and my head starts swirling. I hoped I justed missed the shortcut to heaven, but I understand that I have to take the long way.

Last night I was experimenting with this: http://stc.wiffbi.com/ It's a midi remote script for ableton to control the selected track. I thought I could use it with my midibox64 to control the selected track and navigate through the tracks. I put the script into Live's midi remote map and opened the control surface 'selected track control' in Live's preferences.

Now I would be able to navigate through Live's tracks by sending controller 85 value 1 (for left) and controller 85 value 127 For track right. I tried it using a midi clip in Live with controller 85 changing from value 1 to value 127, and the selected track jumps from left to right and back again, so the script works.

After that I configured my midibox64 with Serge's configuration tool to send cc85 value 1 from button 11 and cc85 value 127 from button 12. But when I press those buttons in Live nothing happens, except the flickering upper right, so Live gets the midi signal.

Even when I manually assign button 11 or 12, with cc85, to do other midi stuff like scene up or down, live also don't react, but if I use a note on event Live does react.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, maybe someone can help?

That signature said something along the lines of "rtfm" combined with a link to the forum and ucapps search page ;)