"DIY Home etch" Kicad CORE project

cimo

hi

some time ago i began a modification of the CORE especially thought for DIY home etching, that is with wider tracks, bigger pads and smaller holes... i messed around with Eagle and eventually never finished the project, nevermind i have a bunch of unfinished projects..

Now that i moved back to the countryside and i need a way to spend my nights i decided to take back this project but to redraw the whole thing in Kicad.

Kicad is an "almost" (currently available for Windows and Linux and possibly for Mac as well if you can compile) cross platform tool for creating schematics, pcbs, Gerber files and much more.

Why Kicad? cause it s free and open source, that was enough to push me to learn how to use it and it took just an evening to draw the entire core and learn the program, but i am smart you know..

Is Kicad better than Eagle? There are pros and cons but i think that now that i ve made the move i ll stick to it from now on.

So here is the schematic of the Core (i have to admit i had some problems to get a decent render but this should be enough..)

Please check it out and tell me if you can spot any error

corev3qv1.jpg

EDIT:

Error 1: +5v and GND connection in the supply schematic missing

Error 2: Q1 is 10 Mhz and not 20 Mhz

Error 3: fixed reference of J2

Yep, I second that. The more I use kicad, the more I find myself enjoying it. And I can make CS panels (big ones) without being a dirty lowdown thief ;D

(yeh, I said it. (sometimes I think that should be my signature))

A few guys have tried it and we're yet to come up with any complaints aside from "this doesn't work like it does in eagle". If anyone wants to jump on the kicad train give me a shout in the chatroom.

Due to said space constraints, there's a chance the audio matrix boards will wind up being in kicad too ... And my SRAM board is done in kicad. I'm a fan.

Cimo one thing was suggested - make the ground 'arrows' point down and the +5V point up :)

Cimo one thing was suggested - make the ground 'arrows' point down and the +5V point up :)

Who would do such a thing ;-) Sorry, I totally forgot to post that in here after mentioning it in the chat...

I started and quited learning eagle few times by now. It was most boring and less intuitive software that I tried. After I stuck, I usually lost a will to continue.

So, as I am still looking for some user friendly PCB software I would like to know do you find Kicad more intuitive and simpler to learn than eagle? Also, could you do things like change the pad dimensions without changing the part in library?

I would like to know do you find Kicad more intuitive and simpler to learn than eagle?

I think it's a personal thing, but yes, I found kicad to be easier to learn. I had been using eagle for very basic stuff for a couple years, and tried to make a more serious design, worked with eagle for a couple weeks, and got stuck a few times... When I ran out of room on the board, I stole Eagle for a day or two, and when my guilty conscience caught up with me, I tried kicad... within a week I had it down, and it should be noted that was without the assistance that the chatroom gives for Eagle, I had to figure it out for myself. Now that I've done that and Cimo has learned from me, we're getting a good solid knowledge base.

The guys who have been eagle gurus for awhile had some troubles with the UI differences (like the zooming) but I think that if you start from an equal level on both, Kicad is easier.

I highly recommend doing the tutorials:

Mini tutorial

KiCad Step by Step Tutorial

...or, just start making your design, and come to the chatroom for help with any questions you have :)

Also, could you do things like change the pad dimensions without changing the part in library?

Yes this is something I really like about kicad - it separates the components (symbol used in the schematic with pin info) and footprints (physical design), so you can just change the footprint in the PCB editor without any dramas.

I did this with the battery holder on my layout, and I just found another very cheap source with a slightly different footprint, so I'll be designing a new footprint (Note: that's WAY nicer in kicad) and replacing the existing one.

Also, could you do things like change the pad dimensions without changing the part in library?

there is a little trick

kicad uses text based files for the project and not binaries so if you can spot the proper parameter you can easily "batch" change all the values

That mean that you can draw a board with the current available footrpints and then just change the overall size of pads or drill holes in the board

Heh, I think that says a lot... Cimo has only been using kicad for a little while less than me, juts a few weeks... I figured I'd tell you guys about that when you were already familiar with it; and you were ready, and found it by yourself already!

Cimo has only been using kicad for a little while less than me, juts a few weeks

i am using Kicad since 3-4 days

EDIT: maybe it s the right time also to tell about the countersides:

1-zooming especially in PCBnew is not really perfect

2-you can t move objects in PCBnew and see them while moving them

3-missing official osx support

4-i haven t found out how to import a whole folder of libraries

5-i love octagonal shaped pads, where are they?  :D

6-.. to be continued

1) werks the same as eeschema for me (snaps cursor to centre and zooms around it)

2) I can see components when moving or dragging, but when i select a group of components (draw around them to select them) and move, it just shows the rectangle i drew around them

3) Yeh I dunno what happened to the guy who used to release the osx binaries. it can be compiled on osx ad the binaries can be shared around though, if any mac users try it please let us know! :)

4) Huh? just select them all, after you click 'add'. In windows you can click the first .lib file, and hold shift and click the last, or just hit CTRL+A.... I'm sure unix has a way to select multiple files as well ;)

5) Oval is what I went with, the difference is just rounded edges so it's largely cosmetic.. I do like the octagon though! Maybe time for a feature request...

6) True, it ain't perfect.... Good though, and for free it's kickass!

this is great, ive been struggling with this same idea (core pcb for hombrew) over the last couple of weeks while trying to get my project off the ground. time as always has conspired against me. 

however since im oversea's atm for a couple of months that idea went the way of the dodo.

Hiya.

Minor note for the board itself.

Many DIL-40 sockets have a brace across the middle (ie, between pins 10/11 and pins 30/31).

The resistor placed there might be a slight issue... if it moves over a little, and/or increases in length a little, then you'd be running the resistor lead under the brace, which should be ok.

Mind you, making the package longer means fewer of those lovely 0.005% links  ::)

Nice kicading.

Right call there tilt, i am really worried about the lack of the 0.0005 cuties... i know that Wilba will organize a bulk order though, mmm should be wikified

I hope i can go to Copenhagen some day and get a few components so that i can test the board at least on paper, i moved some of them so it needs to be verified..

I do hope you guys keep an eye on this thread and help me to spot possible errors, i have to admit i am having fun with it and i may go on with the rest of MIDIBox boards.

Simone

EDIT:

Stryd: can you spot the 1n4148 footprint on the default kicad library? as you see i am using a longer one atm

Stryd: can you spot the 1n4148 footprint on the default kicad library?

Yeh, it was right there for me, I think it was 'D3'? They were numbered like the resistors, the number is how many millimeters long it is.... and guess what... the library is another thing that was updated since your 2007 build. I'll see if I can grab a CVS copy for ya ;)

I've downloaded kiCAD because of this thread.  I've given up learning EAGLE too many times now, perhaps I'll have better luck here.  I hate to be one of those guys, who jumps into a forum with no skills and wants to add a feature as in "design by committee", but I have to ask.  I'm currently building a MIDIBOX FM and thought it'd be nice to have some holes(pads) down the side of the pic, so that the interconnects could be on top of the board (through hole ) as opposed to soldering directly to the IC socket pins.  Even if the core were not to be used with the MB FM the holes wouldn't need to be drilled.

Thanks for all this GREAT work.

Scam

That's a good idea... There's a nice little space there to put it in too :) If cimo doesn't put it in his design, you can add them in very easily.

Come and see us in the chatroom if you need advice on kicad usage. These apps have a specific purpose of course, so they tend to have unusual interfaces. Learning either eagle or kicad without any advice is tricky I guess....