Dual SSM2044 PCB Bulk Order

seppoman

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As instructed by Doug; see the little icon on the lower left of any of Doug's posts? that is how to contact him. He's in California right now donating Bone Marrow, so give him a break. He told me He'd get it done as soon as he gets back home.

You mean those little icons that say Profile, Website, PM?  Neither of which mention a midiboxaddict email address?? Perhaps b/c profile email is set to "hidden".  You're right, how could I be so confused.....

Also, Forgive me for not knowing his personal life or day to day activities. I don't think I was being pushy or rude, purely unsure if I was sending my inquiry to the right place, but thanks for your very kind and helpful response.

• 2 weeks later...

Oddly I received the SSM PCBs, but I never received a query for funding on the chips.

Is it too late to get the chips?

In a previous post, I said Doug Wellington would sell his spare SSM2044 to the people in the U.S. since he conveniently has enough, thus I only bought/sold enough SSM2044 for people everywhere else.

I assumed Doug would have emailed y'all, but he must have been distracted by having his marrow sucked out.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to control ssm2044 filter with Mb16e or Mb 64e(Aout NG stuffed)?

sure, if a MB supports the AOUT_NG, you can connect anything CV-controlled you like. I'm not sure why you would want to do that though, apps like MBSID or MBCV are probably better suited for that. You should use NRPN to control the cutoff, the 127 steps of regular CCs would sound very steppy.

How about calibration?

I didn't try this out. The procedure will be similar to the one explained on the Wiki. Maybe it would be easier to first calibrate the modules using MBSID like described, and afterwards change the app to mb64.

S

• 3 weeks later...

When I purchased the boards (5), it was a package deal, boards and chips. I got the boards in good faith but am still waiting for the chips. At risk of being ostracized, I think Doug (whom I believe has the responsibility for the US distribution of the chips) has proven to be unreliable in this particular case. I also am waiting on panels for MB 6532 and the Midibox sequencer from him. I do realize that it will likely take a long time for the panels but mailing the chips ought to be far less time consuming. Oh well, I suppose I can always sell the stuff I have since the projects may never get completed.

At risk of being ostracized, I think Doug (whom I believe has the responsibility for the US distribution of the chips) has proven to be unreliable in this particular case.

I won't ostracise you, but I will correct you. Doug taking a long time, equates to 'slow', not 'unreliable'. Did he agree to a certain delivery date? Or are you just being generally impatient?

Yeh, I know it's been a while, but there have been some extremely extenuating circumstances. Perhaps your reaction is because you haven't caught up with all the surgery dramas, etc.

Just be patient....

I also am waiting on panels for MB 6532 and the Midibox sequencer from him.

Have those orders even started yet? I think what you mean to say, is that you are looking forward to the bulk order of these components....

I do realize that it will likely take a long time for the panels but mailing the chips ought to be far less time consuming.

Oh, I didn't realise that you are familiar with the details of running a worldwide bulk order. </sarcasm>

Oh well, I suppose I can always sell the stuff I have since the projects may never get completed.

The project reaching completion is entirely up to you. If you want to bail out before it ends, that's your call.

Let's give dougie a break huh? If you want to say something to him, do it in the appropriate area - a PM. And keep it a bit more respectfully toned than this message, or I imagine it will be prioritised as "a whining n00b" and not "a curious customer". That's how I'd treat it anyway, can't speak for doug.

My suggestion for a replcement message would be something like this:

Hey dougie are you OK? Haven't heard form you in a bit, I was concerned about you.

But that said, I give a fuck about Doug the human, and not parts. Your message reflects your area of concern.... Yes this is the part where you should hang your head in shame....

You tried ebay? Small bear?

S1, I knew they were on EBay, I hadn't ordered because I felt I committed to the boards/chips deal also.

I thought putting your name on the bulk purchase list was a two way street.  Once I put my name down, I follow through with payment.

But thats cool.  If I'm not sticking Doug with a bunch of chips I can go the EBay route.

Its not like these chips are magical chips right?

Well "unreliable" is definitely the wrong word in that context (DW didn't collect money or promise a date before disappearing, right?). I don't know about Doug's medical or other conditions right now and am hoping he's well. Maybe/probably at times there are things in everyone's life that still are more important than Midiboxing.

But I do think at least a little update on a time frame really wouldn't hurt. The original deal was that I would do the PCB order in August/September 08 and Wilba would take care of the ICs "soon". Handing over the bulk order for Americans to someone local in order to save on postage and distribute the efforts was a good plan, but if I was a participant myself, I guess I'd now wanna know about the future perspective myself, after looking at these beautiful and shiny PCBs for almost half a year ;) With these ICs also available from eBay (though somewhat more expensive), it would be cool if DW stated here whether he believes that he'll be able to handle that bulk order in the next 2-3 months, and if not, either let someone else take over the job or offer that people who're in a hurry and don't care too much about the price can cancel their orders and take care of their ICs themselves.

Hope everything works out well both for DW and the chip order :)

S

I thought putting your name on the bulk purchase list was a two way street.  Once I put my name down, I follow through with payment.

But thats cool.  If I'm not sticking Doug with a bunch of chips I can go the EBay route.

No, you got it right. The ebay/small bear suggestion is for those who can't find the chips, not for those who have found them (with DW) and can't be bothered waiting.

You'll have to check with DW, but if you put your name down, then he has probably taken money from his pocket to buy the chips, so pulling out would be ill, because you'll leave him holding your order.

Obviously chuck, you already know this, but I'm just saying it to clarify my previous post for everyone else: It's not cool to back out of a bulk order.

I do think at least a little update on a time frame really wouldn't hurt. ... if I was a participant myself, I guess I'd now wanna know about the future perspective myself, after looking at these beautiful and shiny PCBs for almost half a year ;)

Seppo: You're right, and I'd feel the same too... Again, I think you already know this, but to highlight the issue for others: It's just something best left to a PM, to avoid the thread turning into a bulk-buy-organiser-bashing-session... As you know seppo, that's happened in the past, and always results in convincing the organiser to never again help the forum in that way... Then we all lose :(

That's why I always jump to the defense of the organiser right away. :)

You'll have to check with DW, but if you put your name down, then he has probably taken money from his pocket to buy the chips, so pulling out would be ill, because you'll leave him holding your order.

well if jimh54 is sure about it then I could buy the pcbs from him. I'd take over the SSMs DW ordered for him, too, but BOTH just in case DW agrees to that solution. and not this month- so everyone would be happy this time...