Dual SSM2044 PCB Bulk Order

seppoman

Hi all,

**the original bulk order is closed - if you're interested in participating in a future bulk order, you can enter your name on the bulk order page**

Seppoman proudly presents: The bulk order page for my new Dual SSM2044 PCB:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/ssm2044_pcb_bulk_order

Each PCB can make use of two SSM2044 Filter ICs (24db LP) and is perfectly suited to e.g. expand a MBSID V2.

More information and sound demos can be found here and here.

Before you sign on to this bulk order, a warning: This is not a suitable project for absolute beginners. The soldering isn't very difficult, but you will need either an AOUT_NG (SMT soldering required), AOUT_LC or an AOUT module (which needs to be expanded with the bipolar option), or another type of CV source to control this module, in addition to the actual synth (SID/FM) you want to use it with. So a bit of soldering experience and knowledge about the MidiBox platform is definitely recommended.

Seppoman

ssm_small.GIF

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I am running the bulk order for the SSM2044, I should also add the following disclaimers:

1. I believe I can get the SSM2044 cheaply in bulk, but there is no guarantee. However, there seems to be quite a lot around, so they're not especially rare, I'm just pointing out that I haven't actually bought any yet.

2. Payment is by PayPal only, unless you live in a country that can't use PayPal.

3. I am no longer tolerant of people who put their names on a list and then do not reply to PMs or emails or do not pay a PayPal invoice. This is not going to be another "SID MEGASALE" where I end up with 200 spare SIDs because people stuff me around. If you do not regularly check emails more than three times a week, or if you do not have PayPal, or if you do not have the money now then please don't waste my time.

Yeah add me please... now I have a friend with payball  ;)

you can do that yourself - just go to the wiki page and edit it.

and btw, from EU countries you can also use bank transfer to pay. As far as I know, EU legislation says that transactions in Euro currency mustn't cost more than normal domestic transactions (don't have experience with that issue, maybe someone can enlighten us? :))

S

you can do that yourself - just go to the wiki page and edit it.

and btw, from EU countries you can also use bank transfer to pay. As far as I know, EU legislation says that transactions in Euro currency mustn't cost more than normal domestic transactions (don't have experience with that issue, maybe someone can enlighten us? :))

S

this is true if you supply a correct IBAN and SWIFT (aka BIC) code

european banks are slowly adopting the same pricing for transfer but it may still be different from country to country.And of course this is valid only for Western Europe.

!!! failing supplying a valid SWIFT will make you pay the whole international transfer fee.

Simone

Sorry if this is not the rightr place to post. I soon will read thru your wiki about the use but I have a quick question about wiring. Can you use this pcb connected to audio in and out jacks for seperate use on effects sends and such instead of having it directly connected to the synth. And is it possible to control with midi? I hope I am explaining myself correctly and excuse my CV noobish thinking.

This rocks, thank you so much!

Wilba: Per your note in the thread above, I emailed you to confirm my address and order, but haven't received a paypal request for the SIDs yet- I'll take it that you're still gathering data and that I'm not lost in the shuffle, as can happen. Looking forward to it and thank you as well!

Can you use this pcb connected to audio in and out jacks for seperate use on effects sends and such instead of having it directly connected to the synth.

sure, it has audio input and output, so you're free to connect these to some jacks :)

And is it possible to control with midi? I hope I am explaining myself correctly and excuse my CV noobish thinking.

You need some kind of CV source for it. In the Midibox world that would typically be one of the AOUT modules, which in turn is connected to a core running either the MBCV app or (more powerful and flexible) running the MBSID V2 app (this is possible without actually having a SID module).

S

Thanks seppo. So your saying that the audio comes out of the filter board directly? And then I would need the Aout hooked up to the core to get midi control? Could I use this simple setup with the MBsid V2 program without any additional parts that are normally used for MBsid V2? But just to be clear I must have an aout module to control the board at all correct?

Thanks seppo. So your saying that the audio comes out of the filter board directly? And then I would need the Aout hooked up to the core to get midi control? Could I use this simple setup with the MBsid V2 program without any additional parts that are normally used for MBsid V2? But just to be clear I must have an aout module to control the board at all correct?

Yes to all questions ;)

S

Well to get something similar to a Sherman bank, you'd need to add some more analog cirquitry. The Sherman e.g. has an analog envelope trigger ("auto-wah") which is a thing you can only simulate when processing Midi synths by using the Midi signal to trigger an envelope. But you can't have the audio itself trigger the envelope i.e. can't use such a function for any given audio signal. Otherwise I don't know too much about the Sherman, just know that you won't get anything functionally identical with this module and only standard Midibox stuff.

I'm not saying that building a really cool filter bank starting with this module isn't possible (it definitely is), but the design wasn't intended for that purpose in the first place. I only had easy usage and interfacing in conjunction with Midibox synths in mind when designing it. So please don't expect me to do any tutorials or in-depth design guide on how build such a filterbank. Maybe there are others having the same idea with whom you can join forces  :)

S

I am alot better at just following diretions ;D

What parameters can you control on the filter board when it is being controlled by midi from the core?

i.e cut off, resonance ect..

Especially important is the new Groovyness control input which you can control in a wide range of 720 degrees Fahrenheit ;D

No seriously, what else besides cutoff and resonance would you expect being controlable on a Low pass VCF? And what other inputs do you see on the picture? Please read the Wiki page again (did you read it already?) - http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/ssm2044_pcb - everything you need to know is there.

S