Canadian part suppliers?

jamie3

You can always try digikey.ca... they say they will charge tax and no import fee's (at least I'm confident i read that somewhere) but they lie :). Of course I don't believe they carry Alps stuff.  I personally don't find mouser's shipping rates that bad and generally always get them to send it USPS.  It might take a few days extra to get here but you aren't hit with the extortionist "handling" fees of UPS or Fedex and a lot of the time there isn't even duty. At least on my last 2 mouser order's there's been no duty, both order's were over $100 so I save as much on handling and duty by going with USPS as it costs to ship using mouser.

As for a "in canada" electronic part distributor.. There likely going to have to order the parts in even if they use the manufacture your looking for and they surely don't do as much sales as Mouser.. so there prices are going to be higher.

My local electronics stores charge almost double (some things way more then double) for almost any component you can get from Mouser. When you take that into account its almost always cheaper to pay the shipping.

At least thats my thoughts on the matter. 

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know about Future Electronics???? I just saw their site, they're based in Quebec (YEAH!) and they say their handling is free in orders above 25$! I just emailed them how much it would cost for shipping to montreal. I think they have a branch in a lot of other places too. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with them before.

Do you have an update on this? I tried going with Digi-key but their online search makes it impossible to find 220oohm or 10kohm resistors. After a while I just sent the list of what I wanted and they did not bother to find the TWO resistors I wanted. Plus their resistors etc seem to cost about double compared to Mouser. I think I'm stuck with either Future Elec. or Mouser. But then again if it's taking that long for you to receive it from Future, I might want to just go get reamed by Mouser anyhow.

Wow, I actually convinced Digikey to find the resistors for me, even with shipping being about double than digikey, Mouser still beats Digikey in price. Resistors are half off and everything else (usb connections, shift registers etc) are all about 10-15% less at Mouser. The amount I save on resistor price is enough to reimburse me for the shipping cost.

220 ohm SMD resistor (1206) 1/4w

Supplier: Vishay/Dale

Digikey :

10x = $.10 ea.

50x = $.05 ea.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=541-220ECT-ND

Mouser :

10x = $.11 ea.

100x = $.10 ea.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=bx%2f26hp%252b3ULDm%252bfXsj%252b9jg%3d%3d

And, Digi-key shipping cost is half price than Mouser.  :P

Do you have an update on this? I tried going with Digi-key but their online search makes it impossible to find 220oohm or 10kohm resistors. After a while I just sent the list of what I wanted and they did not bother to find the TWO resistors I wanted. Plus their resistors etc seem to cost about double compared to Mouser. I think I'm stuck with either Future Elec. or Mouser. But then again if it's taking that long for you to receive it from Future, I might want to just go get reamed by Mouser anyhow.

sorry i've been out of the province and am on vacation. i am home now and still havent received anything yet. im hoping the order will arrive thursday or friday.

if you are a canadian resident do NOT order from mouser unless you are doing a big order. i ordered a $7 ALPS resistor from mouser and the shipping was $21, and then the broker fee was another $20. so basically i bought a $50 resistor. problem is that mouser charges flat rate shipping and UPS also scams you with broker fees.

Thanks for the help dstamand, but those were both smd resistors! I do not plan on soldering surface mount resistors in my project!

I know mouser is expensive, it's really important for me to be able to add things to my order easily. And I'm pretty certain that Mouser is going to be at least a very close price to Digikey (the the amount I'm buying) and without any annoying problems too! I more or less got setup well with Digikey, but if I need to change quantities or add something I evidently have to bargain with the sales people. I think Mouser will always be tops so long as it is impossible to find anything at digikey.

Also as I remember I ordered in April and I only payed maybe 10-15$ which was actually Canadian Sales Tax and not a brokerage fee. Which is the benefit of getting the "priority" instead of the cheaper shipping. Fedex BTW.

so my futurlec order arrived today. the knobs look great for the price. i will post some pics of them later. the only problem with the knobs is that on the website it states they fit a 1/4" shaft, but they do not fit any of the 1/4" pots i have. so now i am emailing futurlec to find the problem.

so it roughly took 7 business days to arrive. and the shipping was from taiwan.