• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I just worked my way through the whole thread (slow day at work, hurrah!) and I would like to ask:

if you haven't already done the run of PCBs, would it be worth changing this over to MIOS 32 Core? Or at least offering some headers for the DIN/DOUT/BankStick/IIC lines so that we can easily upgrade?

TIA

Dave mK

would it be worth changing this over to MIOS 32 Core?

Have a look at the topic of this thread and you will notice that this is about a CONTROL SURFACE PCB :P - that means, there's no core module included on the PCB so you'll need to build a core and connect it to this PCB :)

S

if you don't want to wait for mios32/seqv4, you can use this for an all-on-one seq pcb:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12811.0.html

personally i'm hoping the seq v4 software will be out by the time i get a mios 32 setup going, but i'm not gonna wait.  of course, i already have an ultracore built so it's just a matter of soldering the CS pcb.

ultra

you will notice that this is about a CONTROL SURFACE PCB :P

aha, after the 14th page my focus on the topic title must have waned ;-)

if you don't want to wait for mios32/seqv4, you can use this for an all-on-one seq pcb:

Cheers, but I have had a Seq running for the last year or so on MIOS, I'm looking forward to having MIOS 32 for my second Seq!

Dave

The prototypes have been tested. TK's prototype was actually a second prototype with some improvements, and from the demo he just posted, it obviously works well and is approved by the big man himself. He mentioned he really likes these switches and knobs.

I think I said before that there is no point doing a bulk order of PCBs until Doug's case design is ready, and he has time to make them... because I think nearly 90% of people are wanting to use his case and get all the required parts from me.

Similarly, you can get parts now if you want, but there is not much point because I will be arranging to sell nearly all the required parts too, at cheap prices. The only thing I won't be selling are the 2x40 LCDs, and even Doug has hinted about arranging a bulk order of those in red/black (like my MB-6582).

If you have specific parts that you need quantities for, just ask.

...I will be arranging to sell nearly all the required parts too, at cheap prices. The only thing I won't be selling are the 2x40 LCDs...

Well... that was the plan. Since I would be doing a huge order from Mouser for at least the bicolor LEDs, resistor networks and capacitors (small axial ceramic 100nF), it sort of makes sense to get the other parts, rather than expect people to search for local suppliers of these parts (or bother SmashTV).

However, that would almost triple the amount of time I would spend packing, because IC sockets and ICs need to be packed in tubes, involving a lot of cutting of tubes and repacking them. Each PCB requires 2x 74HC595 and 6x 74HC165, 8x 16-pin IC sockets. If people didn't mind them just tossed into a bag, it would be fine :) I don't mind doing careful repacking of SIDs because they're special... I'm just not that motivated to do the same for such common parts that even I can buy them here in Australia at reasonable prices.

So... assume I am not getting this other stuff.

If you want to get the other stuff ahead of time, because you're ordering parts for other projects, then it's probably a good idea, I will not be forcing people to buy these parts again when I run the bulk order and change my mind and have all this other stuff for sale. The missed savings will be so small that it won't matter.

I've updated this page with quantities:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wilba_mb_seq_parts_guide

Keep in mind that the panel mounted parts (sockets, switch) are still not decided. I may switch to an additional I/O PCB so we can use PCB-mount sockets, which might work out cheaper and have the added benefit of a PCB-mount USB socket.

I just want to add, that my motivation here is to help people build something ASAP, but without the problems of finding parts I used.

I could run a bulk order now for just the PCBs, it would be very quick and easy, but then there would be 100+ people all needing to buy the same small quantities from the same places and pay multiple shipping costs, etc. in addition to still needing two kinds of knobs from bulk orders, and the panel/case.

I initially wasn't going to do this project because it doesn't incorporate the matrix, but I have changed my mind.  I'm going to build this and add a matrix to it, or else realize my monster seq/matrix design as a separate project.

So ... if you were to do a bulkie for just the pcb, I would definitely be in.

I liked the way the MB-6582 evolved, with numerous folks offering bulks for various compatible parts.  Wilba, while offering complete kits is admirable, it will be a nightmare to support.  I'll admit I'd like to get in on bulk savings for the switches and caps, but I think I have almost everything else in my parts department.

Oh and for what it's worth, bagging ICs and sockets on a piece of anti-static foam is way easier than using tubes.

I have never packed and shipped a thousand resistor networks, ICs ect.. but I can imagine. I agree with everybody else that you should leave that up to digikey or mouser. You already have enough on your plate with switches,caps,encoders,knobs, leds ect..  If you make it to easy people will think that this thing can put itself together  ;) I am sure you have had people asking to buy everything form you and they will just take everything to there tech guy and have him/her diy for him

Hi Wilba,

I have a question about the PCB. I am still working on my own MB SEQ design and it is basically the same as your's except switches, encoders, LCDs are different. I finally finished soldering my ultracore and I am now heading to the next step: laying out the control surface PCB.

I am a complete newbie in electronic field with a few skills in building and software enginering. My idea was just to have the controls wired together (via PCB) and have cables going from the PCB to each connections on the DINs. However I made a few cable to be able to test the core + LCDs and realized it would save me a lot of time having DINs and DOUTs on the same PCB.

So I looked at your PCB to figure out how you did it. But I do not understand how the wiring goes. I can see 8 sockets for registers and to me it should not be enough. Resistors are missing as well and diodes have been added. Could you explain the magic behind this design please ? Does it have anything to do with the BLM wiring (as with step leds) ?

Thanks,

Kyo