MB-SEQ V3/V4 Control Surface PCB and matching case

Wilba

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah sasha, they're from optrex:

http://www.optrex.com/products/groupdetail.asp?g=step&p=C-51850

i can also tell you they're expensive.  i like them because the letters are bright but the light is soft, and overall the lcds aren't too bright.

also, when text changes on the displays it seems a bit slow to respond, like the characters slightly blur.  i don't think this will be much problem with the seq but i for sure wouldn't use them on something where characters are changing quite a bit.

ultra

Optrex... that`s what I was afraid of.  :( I hoped to hear some other answer but seams they still don`t have competition. I was planing to use those AAN`s (B/W version) for my sequencer but the price was holding me back for a long time.

:D Great look!

The pretty displays and the green leds look really nice on the green alloy!

So this is the home of the famous ultracore, think they fit perfect, and so few wires!

Amazing work by yourself and Wilba of course!

I wish you lot's of fun with your new box! (No doubt that you will)  ;)

thanks.

the design really is all wilba.  his control surface boards only require a single 10 pin cable to the pcb.  and the overall design how it fits together is well thought out and it works perfectly.  i just recommend that you very closely follow his directions and read the entire build guide before you start.

in the end it looks so good because of the design work, which is the part i didn't even have to worry about.  in fact, i didn't design the ucore to fit with this.  the ucore was already done when wilba started this, and his design fits with it.

the core32 won't fit it (unless someone has plans i don't know about), but that won't matter since certain components, like the usb port, require it to be at the back panel anyway.

Ultra

What exactly do you mean the core32 won't fit? Are you talking about the case design doug is making? or are you talking about control surface pcb connections to core32?

Wilba

Anychance you have figured out which components you are going to include in the bulk run yet. I just wanted to start sourcing parts that you are for sure not going to include.

Thanks again for this huge effort.

Regards,

echo

Anychance you have figured out which components you are going to include in the bulk run yet. I just wanted to start sourcing parts that you are for sure not going to include.

The section REQUIRED AND WILL INCLUDE IN BULK ORDER is what you're looking for.

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wilba_mb_seq_parts_guide

We can safely assume everything else is not worth my trouble, especially since most builders would either have this stuff lying around or can get it easily... i.e. even I can get this stuff from Australian electronics shops, which are pretty pathetic in comparison to the rest of the world.

Thanks WIlba.

Now it is very clear.

Have you given any thought about just running the bulk without dougs case, midi and power sockets aswell? I assume you are ready to roll out the pcbs with switches, caps, enocoders ect yes? Is it general public appeal to wait for dougs case? Might aswell try to clear that up aswell. I know he has been busy with mb808 but I haven't really got an answer as to whats going on with the seq case. Any one know?

Regards,

echo

The questionnaire I made people answer when going on my bulk order list shows about 90% of people want Doug's panel/case solution... I think that's part of the attraction of using these PCBs (btw just look at the thread title!), so people can have a good and cheap solution for the panel and case, rather than spending a lot on just an FPE panel and still having to buy/build their own case.

• 1 month later...

It has now been a long time and no case options have materialized. I am not putting any blame but it is time to move on and find different options.

I am currently using mfg.com to source quotes for panel/enclosure work. If the pcb is released along with panel info then I will draw up the mechanical diagrams for an enclosure in soldiworks and I will be happy to share the files.

Once I've cleared my queue of things to do/sell ;) I will run a small bulk order of the PCBs. I may have some parts to go with them, like encoders and knobs.

The problem though is even I have not put mine in a case, made by Doug or anyone else, so I do not really know whether it is going to work as designed - i.e. to fit in a "desktop" case with 3U frontpanel that can be rack mounted if desired, or to fit in an off-the-shelf 3U rack enclosure. I mean I've checked the dimensions but there's very little clearance between the PCB edge and the inner faces of a case, and also (more important) not much clearance between the back of the panel and PCB components (especially the ICs on the right edge).

I believe Doug is still planning to make a case, but I also agree that people may want to use this PCB and make their own case, so I will make the FPD (and/or DXF) files available to people interested in doing this. Just contact me by PM, including your email address and we can talk about your plans.

• 4 weeks later...

Plans are now available:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_seq

Note the PCB has changed to be one piece!

In the next few days, I'll get quotes on the revised PCB and based on interest, run a mini-bulk order for the PCBs (about 20) and some parts like knobs (I have plenty of those now, thanks nebula!), switches/caps, bicolor LEDs and maybe the resistor networks. I may have enough spare Soundwell encoders at the moment to share with 10 people, the rest will have to buy from Mouser, Voti, or beg on the forum for people to share their bulk order stashes. I always intended ordering another 2000 encoders for the bigger bulk order, but that isn't happening before or during this mini-bulk order. These 20 or so would be people who are either making or buying their own panels (i.e. through FPE/Schaeffer) and doing a fully DIY case, NOT people waiting for a case from Doug.

In case I miss your name in this thread, or some conversation we had once in PM or chat, please remind me about joining the mini-bulk order by email.

If you want to join the mini-bulk order, just email me: Jason.S.Williams@gmail.com

I have 25 (unconfirmed) orders already.

I've sent emails to those on the list.

I may stretch it to 30 if there's a few more people interested (pref. people who have encoders already, I won't have enough for everybody).

Deadline will be 1st July, when I hope everyone who has confirmed will have paid for the PCB production (I will sell PCBs for US$25 each).

Edit: Ho god another polluting post. I'll spank myself ...

More pollution then:

Here are some close-up photos during construction... I don't think I showed these before.

http://www.mb6582.org/temp/IMG_2398.jpg

http://www.mb6582.org/temp/IMG_2399.jpg

http://www.mb6582.org/temp/IMG_2400.jpg

http://www.mb6582.org/temp/IMG_2402.jpg