MB-SEQ V3/V4 Control Surface PCB and matching case

Wilba

I was planning on soliciting the bleeding edge prototypers to see who's getting Schaeffer / FPE panels done, to perhaps realize a small group discount.  Unfortunately the 10% savings they offer for 10 or more panels does not justify shipping them twice, especially considering that the panels would need to be identical.

But, perhaps more annoying: 

LCD windows from FPE = US $19.93 each. 

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Any thoughts on how to get two little pieces of plastic for less than 40 bones?

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a guy here in Paris made me 4 lcd windows for mb 6582 for really cheap ...less then 10e ..in clear and brown plexi

i think it would cost max 5 euros

i won't go see him if nobody is interesting

i think it's possible with red brown or clear plexi

just tell me

Note the FPE price is because it's got a routed edge so it fits the cavity and thus will be flush on both sides. Since I did the design, I've discovered it's possible to just get 3mm clear acrylic laser cut a lot cheaper... alternately, you could get any scrap of 2mm-3mm clear acrylic or perspex and cut it roughly to fit the cavity at the back, and it would be held in place by the LCD.

I will be doing orders from Ponoko soon-ish.... I will be getting some laser cut 3mm transparent acrylic for another project... I'm sure I will have room on the panel for some LCD windows (or do another panel). Now THAT would be cheap, and cheap to post out later too (no need to hold up the bulk order). Or maybe one of you Americans can run a generic "rectangular piece of clear acrylic" bulk order (sell MB-6582's 40x2-sized and MB-SEQ 2x40-sized windows)... (I suggest it cos there's a Ponoko node in San Francisco and NZ so it's cheaper shipping of the order).

Plan B would be: find someone with a CNC router who can cut clear acrylic.... hmmm... *hint* :)

Yeah Twin-X why not route some acrylic for us?  ;)

<ducks>

I will happily route some acrylic with my own CNC when I'm certain that I can get quality results.  PM me if you have some spare acrylic you can send or a cheap source for practicing on?  Work is consuming a lot of time right now, so the other thing to consider is that I may be kind of slow in getting to the point where I can make things.  But making stuff like this is my ultimate goal, so hang in there.

Ok i am in serious need of money now so i accept. I just ordered for $700

3mm aluminum panels (brushed and colored :))

Let me figure it out first and make the drawing and do a test run.

Does $6 including shipping sound fair for a window 3mm thick trim flushed?

Ok i am in serious need of money now so i accept. I just ordered for $700

3mm aluminum panels (brushed and colored :))

Let me figure it out first and make the drawing and do a test run.

Does $6 including shipping sound fair for a window 3mm thick trim flushed?

Did you order a "natural colour" panel for the sequencer?  I'd love to see pics of your panels when you get them, in all the colours you get them in.  I wanted to do mine in uncoloured, brushed aluminum.  I didn't see "brushed" as an available option.

And ... yes ... I would be in for a couple of 40x2 LCD windows suitable for Wilba's SEQ panel.

Did you order a "natural colour" panel for the sequencer?  I'd love to see pics of your panels when you get them, in all the colours you get them in.  I wanted to do mine in uncoloured, brushed aluminum.  I didn't see "brushed" as an available option.

And ... yes ... I would be in for a couple of 40x2 LCD windows suitable for Wilba's SEQ panel.

Yes natural color is also on the order.

I got Natural color

Black

Red

Green

Dark Blue

All brushed and 3mm thick. I do brushed as schaeffer only has matte painted panels.

I also have 1 black panel 1,5mm thick but someone from this board reserverd the complete panel.

As for the mb windows i hope to make them this weekend. I am waiting for my tools to start.

• 5 weeks later...

I got mine too.  Very nice.  Last night I got started with it.  I will get my panel ordered tomorrow (I hope).

I am no CAD guy, so maybe somebody familiar with FPD can help me out:

I want to order my panel in "natural" anodized aluminum (a very easy change to make), and I want to modify it so all the white text on Wilba's panel design is black.  Wilba provides this info in the Wiki:

If you only want to change the artwork colour, the “opt†version lets you do this, just edit the HPGL engraving object and change the tool for each “penâ€.

Does this mean I need to select each bit of white text and change it to black using the "In-fill color" field of the "Object Properties" window?  Or is there a way I can change this globally?  Scanning fpd's help files didn't help me very much.

I want to order my panel in "natural" anodized aluminum (a very easy change to make), and I want to modify it so all the white text on Wilba's panel design is black.  Wilba provides this info in the Wiki:

Does this mean I need to select each bit of white text and change it to black using the "In-fill color" field of the "Object Properties" window?  Or is there a way I can change this globally?  Scanning fpd's help files didn't help me very much.

No... all you do is double-click on the "HPGL engraving" object... which contains ALL the engraving... this is separated into two "pens", pen #1 is the white text/lines, pen #2 is the orange text (pattern labels).

Thus for each pen, you change the "In-fill color" to something else. Make sure the "Tool" is still "Engraving tool 0.2mm". Note this gets produced a bit thicker than it is displayed on the screen. Resist temptation to increase it to 0.4mm.

Believe it or not, I spent A LONG TIME deciding on the orange :) and I think it works well, a good contrast to the black, but not as bright or distracting as red or yellow. For natural panels, I'd probably suggest the mint green. Maybe even "No in-fill color" would be cool for natural panels... subtle but still visible.

However, if you decide you want to change more than just colour, i.e. remove/change labels, etc. then you can manually edit everything with the "unopt" versions of the FPD file... you can then multiple-select all objects and change things with the object properties dialog. Alternately, I could manually edit the artwork in DXF, export it to HPGL again, and then import it back into FPD to save you some money. Don't ask me why, but HPGL engraving is cheaper than the exact same amount of engraving as discrete FPD text/line objects.

There are two different panel designs. One has rack screw slots, while the other is a bit smaller, without screw holes for rack mounting.

The fpd files are contained in a zip archive, which can be downloaded at the bottom of this page:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?do=show&id=wilba_mb_seq

Personally I'm going with the rack mountable design.  Even though the smaller panel may look a bit more polished, I like the idea that if I want to take the seq out of the small wooden desktop rack enclosure I'm building, I can always stick it into a standard rack.

OK so here comes the next daftness...

Im looking at both the 17 and 19" versions. In looking at the fpd file and reading the costruction comments things mostly make sense. It would seem that the 19" version would be easy enough to attach to whatever, but I am even more confused now about the 17" version and how it will be help to the case. Perhaps a gaint magnet or duct tape :)

So is everyone planning on gettnig the fpd panels made from the shop or is there any plans in the works to get a bulk deal going? I dont really like the idea of 175 for the panel if I can help it.

OK so here comes the next daftness...

Im looking at both the 17 and 19" versions. In looking at the fpd file and reading the costruction comments things mostly make sense. It would seem that the 19" version would be easy enough to attach to whatever, but I am even more confused now about the 17" version and how it will be help to the case. Perhaps a gaint magnet or duct tape :)

So is everyone planning on gettnig the fpd panels made from the shop or is there any plans in the works to get a bulk deal going? I dont really like the idea of 175 for the panel if I can help it.

I think best thing to do here is again to wait. Wilba and Doug are still working on a desktop solution. Which should be rack-able thanks to additional rack ears. Final panel design may change once they are done. I'm certain something great will come out of this.