MB-SEQ V3/V4 Control Surface PCB and matching case

Wilba

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is only for the data wheel encoder. I stripped the wire bare, cut it to 2mm and added solder to the bare wire and put solder on the pcb pads and encoder pins.(don't over do the solder on the encoder. If the solder spreads in contact with the encoders base you will get erratic behaviour when you fire the seq up.) I then used my small tweezers to keep the bare tinned wire in place as I soldered it to the pcb pads. After that I took ripped magazine and placed it to cover the previously soldered pcb pads. Then when the pcb pads are covered it is easy to solder the other end of the 2mm wire to the encoder pins with out accidentally hitting the pcb pads (thanks Wilba).

IDC connectors should fit, if the mounting screws are not too long... but you'll have to test this with your LCD. The other option is using the connectors with crimp pins, which are the same size as the header and so shouldn't get in the way of the mounting screws.

This ones bigger than what your looking for but not to bad a price.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1456RL1.pdf

I may try to use this if I can get the cash for cutting the panel out. I did a quick quote with my own materials from schaffer and got like $144 for the cutting and the case is like $45. It just sucks that the whole sequencer cost as musch as the damn case. I'm still curious how much doug will charge when he gets around to it.

• 3 weeks later...

This ones bigger than what your looking for but not to bad a price.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1456RL1.pdf

I may try to use this if I can get the cash for cutting the panel out. I did a quick quote with my own materials from schaffer and got like $144 for the cutting and the case is like $45. It just sucks that the whole sequencer cost as musch as the damn case. I'm still curious how much doug will charge when he gets around to it.

I was just looking at cases for my MB-FM and came across this which might be a decent fit for the MB-SEQ: http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1456RH3.pdf

You could get the sloped part cut for the control panel and there is still the top flat part that might be good for some additional controls (ah, the possibilities!).

Due to incessant nagging, I will run another very, very small bulk order for PCBs. Maximum of 10 places.

I will be nice and pack some Re'an knobs too, but everything else is easily purchasable from Digikey, Mouser or ALBS.de so someone else can manage that. I would REALLY love to just send a batch of 10 PCBs to someone else and let them split it out... but I doubt anyone is willing to volunteer.

I guess the PCBs might cost 35 AUD each, but I don't really know until I get a quote.

If you are interested, email me at Jason.S.Williams@gmail.com

13 PCBs reached. No more orders please.

Due to incessant nagging, I will run another very, very small bulk order for PCBs. Maximum of 10 places.

I will be nice and pack some Re'an knobs too, but everything else is easily purchasable from Digikey, Mouser or ALBS.de so someone else can manage that. I would REALLY love to just send a batch of 10 PCBs to someone else and let them split it out... but I doubt anyone is willing to volunteer.

I guess the PCBs might cost 35 AUD each, but I don't really know until I get a quote.

If you are interested, post here and/or email me at Jason.S.Williams@gmail.com

Hello,

Ok, I agree to managed the second launch.

I write again to you about the topic.

Thanks Jason,

Francois

If you are interested, post here and/or email me at Jason.S.Williams@gmail.com

what luck! emailed! and thank you

I am arranging for someone in the US to distribute this 2nd mini-bulk order of PCBs and some of the parts. This will work out cheaper for everyone. Please note this is still only for "bleeding edge prototypers" - people will have to make their own case and get their own panels made by Schaeffer or Front Panel Express (or DIY if possible).

If you are interested, email me at Jason.S.Williams@gmail.com

13 PCBs reached. No more orders please.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just looking at cases for my MB-FM and came across this which might be a decent fit for the MB-SEQ: http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1456RH3.pdf

You could get the sloped part cut for the control panel and there is still the top flat part that might be good for some additional controls (ah, the possibilities!).

I ordered one of the cases I posted about earlier to see if it might work for MB-SEQ. I attached a few pics (hope this works on the new forum!). There are a few additional pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/fussylizard/MBSEQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCNOjnpP9tZzBTg&feat=directlink. I talked to Front Panel Express and they said they could machine the top surface and possibly the rear surface as well. I'll get them to look at the pics and confirm.

The case is a little longer front to back than I would like, but still a possible off-the-shelf option, and there should be plenty of space for a power supply, AOUT_NG, maybe an SSM filter, etc.

Will keep everyone posted...

post-6425-125964150459_thumb.jpg

post-6425-125964154304_thumb.jpg

post-6425-125964154876_thumb.jpg

post-6425-125964155638_thumb.jpg

post-6425-125964156669_thumb.jpg

Although there would be a few "mils" of extra aluminium, one way to do it might be to get a nice panel from FPE and just drill the case yourself.

Might work out a bit cheaper?

I think you are suggesting the following:

- Get FPE to make a "standard" panel

- Cut out a big hole in the case just smaller than the standard panel

- Bolt/JB-Weld the standard panel to the case

I have considered that, but I'm not sure how it would look overall, but yeah, it would probably be cheaper. I need to check it in Front Panel Designer. But it would allow for a nice anodized surface since I'm not in love with the powder coat (the powder coating is well done, I just prefer the look of the anodized aluminum).

I was also thinking that the top flat area would be good for maybe putting 1/4" CV out jacks from an AOUT_NG or something (I assume I can sequence AOUT signals...need to double-check the manual). That would be super fun!

Not necessarily cutting out the whole case, just where there are holes (encoders, buttons, LEDs, LCDs might be a bit trickier).

That way your blind panel can be a bit rough or drilled with enlarged holes etc.

It might even be a good way of getting a dual-use case, as you could then enlarge the FPE panel to 19" format :question:

Sorry, just thinking out loud

I ordered one of the cases I posted about earlier to see if it might work for MB-SEQ. I attached a few pics (hope this works on the new forum!). There are a few additional pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/fussylizard/MBSEQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCNOjnpP9tZzBTg&feat=directlink. I talked to Front Panel Express and they said they could machine the top surface and possibly the rear surface as well. I'll get them to look at the pics and confirm.

The case is a little longer front to back than I would like, but still a possible off-the-shelf option, and there should be plenty of space for a power supply, AOUT_NG, maybe an SSM filter, etc.

Will keep everyone posted...

I got confirmation from FPE today that they looked at the pics I posted of this Hammond case and they can machine both top surfaces and the rear panel as well. The extra clamping will incur an additional fee of ~US$15. I'm working on a panel layout now for the rear panel...